Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

STT St Thomas USVI Departure and US residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question for people who have departed STT, St Thomas, US Virgin Islands. Obviously the US Virgin Islands are a US territory and as such are treated as domestic flights if you are flying nonstop to the US. It clearly says that US Citizens don't need a passport, both on CBP/DHS sites, along with airline documentation requirements.

However there are places that say a passport is helpful etc. visitusvi.com goes as far a saying:
If you are a U.S. citizen a passport is not required, but it still serves as the best identification when traveling. Otherwise, you must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship when departing the islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, then a passport issued by your country of origin is required.

If you are not sure of your status, please contact the U.S Customs & Border Protection agency
If we have no plans of leaving St Thomas. Is a passport necessary? Is a drivers license issued by a US state enough? Is there some additional special screening that happens? What about a permenant resident, who has a US issued drivers license?

Any insight would be helpful

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:05 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Driver's license is sufficient - to leave the islands, you have to clear customs, but no passport is required.

Last weekend at STX, it was like this: Check in for flight -> Customs preclearance -> TSA -> wait at the gate -> land as domestic flight.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, wonder why there is all this talk of birth certificates with raised seals etc.

Will report back when I return next week.

Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Fwiw, we had our passports with us the gentleman at customs asked us if we had them, as it was easier for him to scan rather than type in all the information off our dl. If you have them I would reccomend brining the, in case you decide. to go to the bvis.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
depends on the time of year

we travel to STT about 3 times a year (since 2007). Passport is a good option in the event you have do some island hopping (BVIs). It will also speed you through the process faster (during peak season, the line is long).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

I'm sorta curious for my traveling partner. She has a US drivers license, and her foreign passport, but her visa is expired because she is awaiting an adjustment of status. Will report back what happens.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.