Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Puerto Rico: seeking ideas.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, Marriott, Hilton
Thumbs up Going to Puerto Rico: seeking ideas.

I was told this is the place to be for great advice and ideas on travel as well as many other things! I am happy to be apart of FlyerTalk. I am going to Puerto Rico on a real vacation for the first time in February. I got a great deal on a ticket ($237) RDU-SJU. ^ I have passed through Puerto Rico many times while cruising. I have reservations at the La Concha Resort, another great deal ($142 p/night for a Suite). ^ I know a few places to go and things to do, but I will be there for a week, so I am seeking more ideas. @:-)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Going to Puerto Rico

Lucky- I've always wanted to go to PR! Enjoy
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Airdale93, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Please follow the thread as it moves to the Caribbean forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
What's on your list of things to do already? And what are you interested in?

A day trip to el Yunque, a day exploring OSJ, and a day trip to the biobay are all great ideas.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:09 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airdale93
I have reservations at the La Concha Resort...
will you have a rental car? San Juan is so-so for a week stay, I would make sure to get a rental car & get outside of San Juan where the real beauty of PR shines.
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
What's on your list of things to do already? And what are you interested in?
good questions for the OP^
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:50 am

Where did you find the deal at that resort for $142/night? Im also headed to PR in Feb and havent booked any hotels yet.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at these threads for some ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...-where-go.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...ico+what+ideas
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/carib...erto-rico.html
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

I am open to doing anything. I have to make arrangements to visit the bacardi rum distillery, botanical gardens, and the rain forest. I would like to go kayaking, ziplining, or trek through the mountains on horseback which are things I did not get to do on my cruise excursions. Of course I have to visit the usual places like the cathedrals or museum. Maybe visit the beach (Isla Verde or Condado). Looking forward to the food and fun! I was advised to visit the Parrot Club and Budatai for great food and Brava for fun times. I did get alot of information from the visitor center.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Great info. Thank you.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
will you have a rental car? San Juan is so-so for a week stay, I would make sure to get a rental car & get outside of San Juan where the real beauty of PR shines.good questions for the OP^
I do have a rental car. I would love to get outside of San Juan, but I hadn't looked into that yet.

Originally Posted by krenn72
Where did you find the deal at that resort for $142/night? Im also headed to PR in Feb and havent booked any hotels yet.
The travel agent that booked my last cruise that went through Puerto Rico got me this deal. Normally costs about $305 a night for that suite, needless to say, I took that deal!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
I am open to doing anything. I have to make arrangements to visit the bacardi rum distillery, botanical gardens, and the rain forest. I would like to go kayaking, ziplining, or trek through the mountains on horseback which are things I did not get to do on my cruise excursions. .
Visiting the Arecibo radio observatory is really interesting. And while you're out that way, if you're looking for more adventurous activities, there are some really fun sounding cave tubing excursions you can do in that part of the island. We didn't have time for the cave tubing, but saw the signs when we were at Arecibo. The rum distillery was fun, too.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:44 am

I would like to go kayaking, ziplining, or trek through the mountains on horseback which are things I did not get to do on my cruise excursions. Of course I have to visit the usual places like the cathedrals or museum. Maybe visit the beach (Isla Verde or Condado). Looking forward to the food and fun! I was advised to visit the Parrot Club and Budatai for great food and Brava for fun times.
Kayaking: kayak in bioluminescent bay , besides Bio Bay, there are other kayak tours. (BTW, there are 3 bioluminescent water sites in Puerto Rico, make sure to see one if moon allows)

Ziplining: zip lines in Puerto Rico

Porta Coeli one of the oldest churches in Western Hemisphere

If take a break from the sun or raining out, the Museo de Arte in Ponce is worth a look.

Puerto Rico's roast pork highway

One of the best beaches in all of Puerto Rico is Luquillo just don't go on weekends or a holiday when it will be packed with locals. Luquillo is an old coconut plantation, there's been times where I'm standing in the water, sun on my back, sipping on a cocos frios, looking back at a cloud shrouded El Yunque. Looks like a scene from Bora Bora.

A plus about Luquillo is there is a strip of food stalls (some very plain basic & others full restaurants). Some excellent food can be had.

One of the finest (if not the best) beachfront resort & dining room is The Horned Dorset Primavera. You can still dine at resort if not a guest.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 15, 2013 at 7:53 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Kayaking: kayak in bioluminescent bay , besides Bio Bay, there are other kayak tours. (BTW, there are 3 bioluminescent water sites in Puerto Rico, make sure to see one if moon allows)

Ziplining: zip lines in Puerto Rico

Porta Coeli one of the oldest churches in Western Hemisphere

If take a break from the sun or raining out, the Museo de Arte in Ponce is worth a look.

Puerto Rico's roast pork highway

One of the best beaches in all of Puerto Rico is Luquillo just don't go on weekends or a holiday when it will be packed with locals. Luquillo is an old coconut plantation, there's been times where I'm standing in the water, sun on my back, sipping on a cocos frios, looking back at a cloud shrouded El Yunque. Looks like a scene from Bora Bora.

A plus about Luquillo is there is a strip of food stalls (some very plain basic & others full restaurants). Some excellent food can be had.

One of the finest (if not the best) beachfront resort & dining room is The Horned Dorset Primavera. You can still dine at resort if not a guest.

Thank you so much. Great info, it all sounds perfect. I certainly will check out all of these suggestions. I should be good to go now.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I was fortunate enough to do two trips to PR last year thanks to some amazing deals on airfare we stayed in Luquillo one trip and there are some good places to eat at the kiosks (Ay Bonito and El Jefe were our favorites). There is also a really good and super cheap bakery called La Familia a few miles away.

Definitely check out El Yunque and hike down to the La Mina waterfall.

I did two zipline trips with Batey zipline adventures. If you have the time and are not terrified of heights, the extended tour with the kayaking and rappelling is worth the extra money.

We tried to go to Rio Camuy caves after ziplining but they were closing as we pulled in so verify their operating hours before making the trek out there.

The mini boat snorkling trip was pretty cool. Lots of jellies were out the day we were, but the guides were able to find some good altnative locations for us.

The bio bay kayak tour was slightly underwhelming because you kayak forever though the mangroves only to spend about 10 mins in the big open area with the cool glowing stuff. Plus you need good communication with your kayak partner so you don't crash into other kayakers (or the trees).
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
The bio bay kayak tour was slightly underwhelming because you kayak forever though the mangroves only to spend about 10 mins in the big open area with the cool glowing stuff. Plus you need good communication with your kayak partner so you don't crash into other kayakers (or the trees).
good to know thanks for the tip on this trip, I've only viewed the bio bay out of Paguera on the SW coast (west of Ponce). We dined at the very good restaurant located in the Paradore Villa Paguera, then simply walked down the beach to some of the motorized boats that were taking folks out to the bio bay. I forget the price but it was pretty darn cheap to take the boat trip.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Nov 18, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.