Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aruba Travel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nrdk
Thanks again for the suggestions. Does this have to be a 'TSA Approved' combination lock?
You do not need a TSA-approved lock for carry-on bags since you're there to open them (or hand them the key, or give them the combination). Those locks are intended for use on checked bags, which TSA may have to open in your absence.

There's more discussion of this topic in this FT thread, though some of the thread goes off on the irrelevant (to you) tangent of traveling with firearms.

Enjoy Aruba - we're considering a trip in January too!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm looking for rijsttafel on Aruba, anyone know of a restaurant(s) that serve it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

I've had it on Sint Maarten & while in Amsterdam, always a terrific meal.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:37 am

besides rijsttafel also interested to hear experiences of anyone who has been to the restaurant Nos Cunucu (in Papiamento (the local dialect) means "the farm.")

I've read it is set in a traditional Aruban home. Apparently they serve dishes native to Aruba such as savory goat stew and keshi yena, a hollowed-out cheese rind stuffed with chicken, raisins and vegetables
Nos Cunucu
Tanki Leendert 145A
Phone: (297) 582-7122
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by RTW1
I would look for things to do on or near the water..... the rest of Aruba is a waste of time in my opinion, nothing really interesting to see or do.
Sun, sand and sea plus maybe a bit of shopping and some nice places to eat is what keeps me entertained when I'm there.

I wouldn't count on a upgrade... the number of suites that really count, the ones with balconies, are very very limited in number.
I would agree with the statement of stay on the water/beach. Not much else redeeming on the island. I thought the food quality was subpar in specialty restaurants considering the amount charged.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:15 am

New York Times article "36 Hours in Aruba"
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:16 am

NRDK -- I will e-mail you the contact info the Hyatt Aruba GM, see how he can help make the stay magical.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate all the help guys Definitely looking forward to this, and have already planned most of the week out thanks to all the amazing support here. I'm going to try and do the Diamond challenge in early/mid January, so I'll show as Diamond for the stay regardless of whether I achieve it or not (still have some work travel in the air for early Feb), which may give me a leg up on keeping the same room/upgrade/talking with the GM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:45 pm

Congratulations!

I do know a fair bit about Aruba, travelling there yearly. I will give some advice:

1. You don't really need a rental car but if you do get one either rent AT the airport through a major agency or rent at your hotel. One of the few bad experienced I ever had in Aruba was because I tried to save a couple of bucks on a rental car (too long a story).

2. Forget the 4 wheel drive, if you don't know the island, it will be of limited use. I recommend Cerry - http://www.pitaruba.com/ I have used him twice with great results and the tripadvisor folks rave about him.

3. The tourist hotels in Aruba, as I am sure you have noticed are all west of the airport and west of Oranjestad, the main city. They are on that coastline in the west that basically runs n/s. The major tourist beaches there are Eagle Beach and Palm Beach. They are both great. The hotels are "low-rise" and "high-rise" with the low-rise mostly older properties closer to town. Many of the hotels are time-shares, Aruba is the time-share capitol. The Hyatt is one of the nicest High-rise hotels. I stay at the Marriott Stellaris.

2. Aruba is VERY safe but use common sense and don't go strolling in St. Nicholas (the town with the red-light district) at night. It doesn't have the abject poverty that other Caribbean locations have.

3. Dollars are welcome anywhere except in the little townships north and east. Even then they are ok in most places. The Aruba Florin is worth 55 cents.

4. Aruba has very reliable consistent weather year round. There are often short rain showers in the afternoon. But there are rainy days, even though they are rare. I have never had a bad day there but I have arrived right after some bad days. It is basically a desert island and the real topography is very different from the beach area. They have no natural fresh water. All their water is made at the desalination plant and is both potable and good-tasting.
5. The restaurants recommended to you are all fine. But if you are really a foodie, there are two places that would win awards in New York and LA. They are VERY small and book up fast. The two (which are different from each other) are Two Fools & A Bull and Carte Blanche. You can look up their websites and make reservations on line. They don't have menus but they will ask you in advance about allergies and dietary preferences. Make your reservations for these NOW if you want to.
6. Use sunscreen - you are at 12 degrees latitude and it can fool you. For those outdoor meals bring bug repellant or YOU will be a meal for the no-see-ums.
7. Have a wonderful time. Aruba is truly a joy!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
besides rijsttafel also interested to hear experiences of anyone who has been to the restaurant Nos Cunucu (in Papiamento (the local dialect) means "the farm.")

I've read it is set in a traditional Aruban home. Apparently they serve dishes native to Aruba such as savory goat stew and keshi yena, a hollowed-out cheese rind stuffed with chicken, raisins and vegetables
Nos Cunucu
Tanki Leendert 145A
Phone: (297) 582-7122
update, I was able to find a website for The Old Canucu House and we now have a reservation for when we are on Aruba.

I'm still looking for a restaurant that serves rijsttafel
==
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
You might try looking at Gasparito - - I seem to recall that they served a similar dish (?). Had an excellent traditional meal there a few years back.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by cactuspete
You might try looking at Gasparito....
I didn't see any mention of rijsttafel on Gasparito's menu but will contact them anyways, perhaps they know of a restaurant that does. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbg
Congratulations!

I do know a fair bit about Aruba, travelling there yearly. I will give some advice:
Thanks so much again for the responses everyone, glad other's are finding this thread useful as well Great advice to be had on FT

In response to robbg, hopefully you can answer the below questions as well.

1. Was thinking the same, not convinced I'm going to rent a car but we'll see.

2. Thats kind of what I was thinking, however what does Cerry usually charge in your experience?

2. That's one of the main reasons I picked Aruba, as the girlfriend is a worrier and I figured it was better to start somewhere easy for her

3. Thanks for the tip, I'll probably stick with dollars out of ease of use but will keep in mind the conversion rate.

4. Just what I wanted to hear Fingers crossed for spectacular weather all week.

5. Will definitely follow through on these two restaurants, however do you remember what the typical cost is? Trying to keep to somewhat of a budget.

6. Bug repellant is a new tip, surprised I haven't heard that yet if it's an issue. I'll keep that in mind and pack some in the checked baggage.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
5. Will definitely follow through on these two restaurants, however do you remember what the typical cost is? Trying to keep to somewhat of a budget.
Take a look at their websites:

2 Fools & a Bull The Fools set their price on $ 87.50 per person for the 5- course meal. Included is the welcome drink and coffee, tea or..? The wine pairing is extra, and by the glass, so all up to your choice!

Carte Blanche 5 Course Carte Blanche menu $95 excludes wine pairing and/or any drinks from the bar.
Carte Blanche wine pairing $75.

On either site, while I understand that it seems both of these places have constantly changing menus, not to have any example menus or dishes is
I take that as a red flag also.

I'm also very leery of verbiage such as:

Dennis has turned Carte Blanche into one of the most talked about restaurants on the island of Aruba. (Aruba isn't on the dining destinations map so I find this one pretty humorous)

Glen joined the team of 2 from the first day it opened in September 2010, using his humorous wit and charm to make the guests feel right at home with his daring wine pairings and martini/cocktail mixology methods. (using his humourous wit & charm???, if you have to state it.....)

Paul and Fred explain the evening that night, basically a Fools Dinner Party with 2 crazy hosts! (crazy hosts? again )

both sound very hyped/marketing driven rather than the true quality of the food which they do not list.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Just an update, ring is purchased and being sent out to be fabricated Getting that much closer to travel time.

Still debating renting 4wheel drive vs doing a tour, I like the idea of adventuring a bit on our own however there are obvious pitfalls to it (quite literally) that has me a bit nervous and if a tour is reasonable would probably go that route instead.

<edited for brevity>
I did check the price and had the same trepidation as you, however figured I would recheck with the OP to see if there was a strong case for trying one of these places.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:21 pm

I'm still looking for a restaurant that serves rijsttafel
==
Update, the concierge of our hotel stated that rijsttafel is served at both Kowloon Aruba and Universal Restaurant.

If this is at all like rijsttafel we've had in Amsterdam, Sint Maarten & elsewhere, we will be in for a treat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.