Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Hilton / Marriott / SPG properties in Caribbean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum

Hello~

Summer is over, which means its time to start planning our winter escape (most likely end of January)..

Will be traveling with wife, almost 2 year old, and 8month old..

I have points with .Hilton / Marriott / SPG and looking for a destination that will:
* Be on a great beach
* Be all inclusive / have a meal plan available /or at least be realistic on meal prices / options
* Have something for the kids: lazy river, multiple pools, maybe a water slide I can take them on
* Have everything we need on property, and / or be close enough to shops / town where we can walk - this would be great if non all inclusive for other meal options / change of scenery too

We went to Hilton Rose Hall (Jamaica) last year and were pleasantly surprised..
Have also been to: Negril, Aruba and multiple Gulf coast Mexico destinations..
Ideally looking for something new..

Thus far, some considerations have been:.
- Grand Cayman, Ritz - however I know, even though I can transfer points for Marriott gift cards, food costs will be through the roof

- St. Thomas 5 days at Frenchman's reef,.
then 5 days on St John at Westin - concerned about locations of both properties, kiddie things to do, and food costs.

- St. Kitts - have heard fair reports about the Marriott here

Any additional suggestions, pointers, or thoughts on the above would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL GM
http://www.hiltoncuracaoresort.com

I haven't been there, but a co-worker visited last winter with his family. He said the room furnishings were somewhat dated, but they had a great time.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Curaçao seems like an option, thanks! Just have to look at flight time - really don't want to be the guy everyone hates on the plane because a screaming kid, or worse - TWO! Thanks again!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
You have cause to be concerned about St. John. We've stayed at the Westin St. John, though we've been in 2 bdrm villas both times. (The villas are up a hill from the hotel.) While there were plenty of kids around the pool (sorry, no slides or lazy rivers) when we went in January of '10 and '12, it isn't a place I'd bring my young kids. Aside from water-oriented activities (snorkeling, diving, boating, fishing), there's just not a lot to do. They reportedly have a great kids' club, but I believe it costs ~$70 per kid per day.

Westin St. John is on a manmade beach, which is not great for St. John but it's still a beach on the Caribbean Sea. There's a water trampoline and water toys you can rent, such as dinghys or water bikes.

While on-site food is predictably expensive (e.g. a hamburger with sweet potato fries is ~$20), restaurants in Cruz and Coral Bay are pretty reasonable. However, because we stay in the villas, we save on food costs by grilling out or cooking in a lot of meals. A villa also gives you a separate bedroom, which I think is essential with 2 young kids.

If you do stay here, I'd definitely book a villa and do my grocery shopping on St. Thomas before I left. Choose a grocery where the locals shop. The tourist grocery stores rob you blind on both islands. (I'm talking $7 for a bag of chips; $10 for a 6-pack of soda.)

No need to book the Westin Ferry if you travel over from St. John. Just rent your car for the entire time (expect to have sticker shock with rental cars, too) and take the car ferry over.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Personally, if I was traveling with young kids, I'd probably opt for one of the Marriotts in Aruba. While technically not in the Caribbean, from what I've read, Aruba is more family oriented.

Another option if you have Starwood points is Harborside Resort at Atlantis. It's been described as the Disney of the Caribbean. While food is astronomical, if you stay at the villas, you get complimentary access to the water park and slides at Atlantis.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Personally, I think Aruba is your best bet too with your requirements.

Have not heard good things about Marriott on Frenchmans Reef though STT is beautiful (tough to drive if you have not driven on the left). Curacao is a little different then the others, have stayed at Marriott which was nice for my wife and I (did not bring kids). Saw the Hilton and it was a little better for pools.

We really like the Marriott in GCM and has most of your requirements except large pools (a serviceable one) and no AI. However, it is very easy to drive on the left in GCM, flat, new roads, well signed, etc. Also the Marriott is close to a bunch of things you can walk to or drive if necessary. There is a Wendy's right down the street in case kids get hungry for money savings.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Recreation
Another option if you have Starwood points is Harborside Resort at Atlantis. It's been described as the Disney of the Caribbean. While food is astronomical, if you stay at the villas, you get complimentary access to the water park and slides at Atlantis.
Checking Starwood's site, all I see is the Sheraton on Cable Beach. Can one use Starwood points at Atlantis ?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Hilton Rose Hall is great, as you already know. The free kids club is unbeatable and the ladies working there are fantastic. But we've been there 2 of the last 3 years and are also looking around for a new place. My shopping has turned up several places with huge fees for the kids clubs. Sorry.

Hilton Barbados is a great property, and they do have a kids club, but they tend to plop the kids in front of the TV too often for my liking.

If you like Jamaica, have a look at Pebbles or FDR. Both are owned by the same company. They assign a nanny to each family! Duty hours are essentially the full work day, however they will stay for the evening for an extra, very modest fee.
--
13F
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Westin STJ is a decent choice. STJ is beautiful and has great beaches, although the beach at the resort is subpar. The downside for me is no local culture. If you are combining it with a stay on STT, the Ritz is far better than the Marriott (but pricey). Ability to do daytrips to BVIs is a real plus.

Westin SXM is another good choice. The resort has a nice pool area, is on a good beach and is isolated from the busy touristy parts of the island. Food and drink is not outrageous, and there are some cheap options nearby. Plus it is a great jumping off point for Anguilla and St. Bart.

Marriott St. Kitts is a nice resort with several nice pools, but the beaches there are inferior. I also felt that the locals were very unfriendly, but others disagree. Really like the neighboring island of Nevis.

Hitlton Barbados is a great property, particularly if you have HH status. Good beaches and pools aat the resort. Wonderful island, great people, great food.

Marriott Curacao is a decent resort (not as nice as St. Kitts), a step above Hilton Curacao. Again, the beaches are not the greatest. But Curacao is a very interesting island to visit.

Plenty of choices in Aruba, but it is way too homogenized and is not my cup of tea.

Each of these resorts has a dedicated thread in the corresponding hotel forum.

Last edited by cactuspete; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:46 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d20513
Hello~

Summer is over, which means its time to start planning our winter escape (most likely end of January)..

Will be traveling with wife, almost 2 year old, and 8month old..

I have points with .Hilton / Marriott / SPG and looking for a destination that will:
* Be on a great beach
* Be all inclusive / have a meal plan available /or at least be realistic on meal prices / options
* Have something for the kids: lazy river, multiple pools, maybe a water slide I can take them on
* Have everything we need on property, and / or be close enough to shops / town where we can walk - this would be great if non all inclusive for other meal options / change of scenery too

We went to Hilton Rose Hall (Jamaica) last year and were pleasantly surprised..
Have also been to: Negril, Aruba and multiple Gulf coast Mexico destinations..
Ideally looking for something new..

Thus far, some considerations have been:.
- Grand Cayman, Ritz - however I know, even though I can transfer points for Marriott gift cards, food costs will be through the roof

- St. Thomas 5 days at Frenchman's reef,.
then 5 days on St John at Westin - concerned about locations of both properties, kiddie things to do, and food costs.

- St. Kitts - have heard fair reports about the Marriott here

Any additional suggestions, pointers, or thoughts on the above would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the great tips / info. After contemplating for over a month, Just about ready to rebook Jamaica. Thinking of 3 days @ Holiday Inn and the 4 back at Hilton.
Really wanted a new destination / change of scenery, but with the kiddies being so young, we'll really be planted on property, so all inclusives offer biggest bang for the buck, or Points!^

I'm still perplexed about the Marriott program though. While I know they have done away with the true points for all inclusive packages. One would think that you could still book a stay on points / travel package, and then pay an upgrade, to properties that do offer all inclusive packages (like CasaMagna Cancun) for the all inclusive option, but NOPE!

Side note - it is however allowed to add on / upgrade to club 91 level @ JW Cancun -which unfortunately doesn't work for us, having to cart kids up and down every time we want a meal / snack.. This may be an option for others looking for semi all inclusive options.

Oh well, looks like back to MBJ we go...

Thanks again!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:42 am

What did you end up going with?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by utl567
What did you end up going with?

We ended up back at the Hilton Rose Hall, Jamaica. After countless considerations, we decided HRH because we knew what we were getting. A great time, and will certainly consider for future trips as well!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
These chains have quite a few hotel in the Caribbean. There is a searchable directory of every points hotel in the Caribbean with the amount needed to redeem here:

http://themilesprofessor.com/caribbe...s-with-points/
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: aa
I will travel to hilton barbados as i like to travel to the Caribbean but aruba never again.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: aa
hilton rose hall doesnt get alot of love in tripadvisor.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jada135
hilton rose hall doesnt get alot of love in tripadvisor.
Trip Advisor: NOT reliable. FT: MUCH better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.