Wiki Posts
Search

Caribbean Island for Hawaii lover?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
one big difference. the carrib is hot. hotter than the sw coast of maui. diving and snorkel is much better in C. eating much better in H. H is urban, wall to wall hotel. C does not have many hotels. C has great isolated places(e.g.peter island) , beach resorts and beach rentals.. H has very few. C has a lot of really crummy and ugly places. H has very few. people do not rent cars in C ...and drive to local costco .
Completely disagree on Caribbean food - - it is much better than Hawaii IMO. Lots of great local places, and a lot of really quality restaurants in places like Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barts, Barbados, etc. And I always rent a car.

Some of the real benefits of the Caribbean over Hawaii are:

- less crowds
- local culture
- friendlier people (in most cases)
- warmer, calmer water
- better beaches
- "island time"

You might enjoy St. Kitts (with a side trip to Nevis). St. John (with daytrips to the BVIs) also would be a good choice.

Last edited by cactuspete; Nov 3, 2011 at 11:30 pm
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adventureadam
St. Martin is France, Sint Maarten is an independent country in the Dutch Kingdom. Plenty of poverty on both sides of the island, as well as most others in the Caribbean, as well as Hawaii.
Depends on what you consider to be "poverty". Yes, plenty of people in the Caribbean living on very little, but a lot of those people just live very simple but happy lives. There are notable exceptions, however, where there are larger areas of true poverty and people who are truly in need (D.R., Haiti, Jamaica).
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:04 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by cactuspete
Anguilla
I have to completely disagree with you on this one. There is good food there, but nothing I would dare to compare with the other islands on the list. Anguilla IME is as rustic as the Caribbean gets without dipping into the third world.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Regarding ther OP's request, and as a big fan of Kauai, I suggest checking out St. John. Two-thirds of the island is a national park.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It sounds like there are several votes for St Johns. I'll have to check that out
Old Nov 5, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
Ouch.

I take you haven't been to the W in Vieques.
No, I have not been to Vieques to be honest. That said, I disagree completely with previous remark posted about Anguilla. The beaches are truly outstanding and the choice of 5 star resorts there is outstanding with the Viceroy in my mind being the best. Anguilla is also know for truly outstanding restaurants separate and apart from the hotels

I am less enthusiastic about St. John than others. Very lush island no argument from me but the US Virgin Islanders are a pretty ambivalent bunch in comparison to the much friendlier locals found on most other Eastern Caribbean islands.

Worldspan
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:06 pm
Suspended

I'm in total agreement with Worldspan's view.

Originally Posted by mkt
I have to completely disagree with you on this one. There is good food there, but nothing I would dare to compare with the other islands on the list. Anguilla IME is as rustic as the Caribbean gets without dipping into the third world.
Have you spent much time on Anguilla? Just off the top of my head I can think of 5-10 restaurants that compare favorably (or better) to any restaurant in the Caribbean (granted, not French fine dining).

And what part of it is "rustic"? Honestly, I have never heard of Anguilla described in that way.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:41 pm
mkt

Originally Posted by cactuspete
I'm in total agreement with Worldspan's view.

Have you spent much time on Anguilla? Just off the top of my head I can think of 5-10 restaurants that compare favorably (or better) to any restaurant in the Caribbean (granted, not French fine dining).

And what part of it is "rustic"? Honestly, I have never heard of Anguilla described in that way.
I live in the region, and go several times a year on day trips from our boat in transit, or from SXM next door. Having said that, I will admit I avoid the resorts, since as a quasi-local, I dislike the air of inauthenticity that large resorts bring to the region.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Great conversation everyone! It sounds like I need to go sample some islands to make up my own mind!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:04 am
mkt

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Great conversation everyone! It sounds like I need to go sample some islands to make up my own mind!
That's the best statement in this thread
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
Glad you said this. Have you thought about a cruise? I know your son gets seasick but Caribbean cruises are usually quite calm, and you'd get to sample many of the islands mentioned above in one shot
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Glad you said this. Have you thought about a cruise? I know your son gets seasick but Caribbean cruises are usually quite calm, and you'd get to sample many of the islands mentioned above in one shot
Great idea!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Best thing about going to the Caribbean, you have several islands in close proximity that can be traveled to via boat or small plane rather cheaply. If you don't like an island, leave for another. But I have not known anyone who has not liked going to the Caribbean.

As far as Hawaii, I live on the west coast and the flight for me is only 5 hours. I would much rather sit on a plane for a full day to go to the Caribbean. For me Hawaii, is to crowded, overbuilt, has no individual feeling.

Take a chance spend a week in Tortola there and around some of the other BVI. That would be a good recommendation IMO for a newbie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.