Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montego Bay logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Montego Bay logistics

We plan to attend an event at a resort in Lucea, but would like to stay at the Ritz. How far is the drive from half moon bay to Lucea? Is the road condition safe enough for self drive?

Are there a lot of dining options withing driving distance from half moon bay? We do not like all-inclusive but would like to know the alternatives beforehand.

TIA.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:44 am

Cool To Lucea

I assume you're going to the Grand Palladium in Lucea, which is the only hotel there. It is about an hour to hour and a half, depending on traffic, etc. The road is a two-lane road most of the way, with some very pretty views along the way. If you're renting a car, I would only plan on driving it during daylight hours, it can get a bit crazy and dark at night, and if something happens, you can be in a pretty desolate area.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:13 pm

The costal road which you would take is safe enough to drive, but for the cost, and hassle its probably easier to arrange transport.

Where those hotels are all located there isn't that much else, there is scotchies jerk restuarant, a couple other fast food places nearby. Probably more selection heading back into town, aside from restaurants at other nearby hotels.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
If you have never been to Jamaica...please do not rent a car. Even with the new roads it is very challenging to dirive in Jamaica. By the time you pay the rental and mandatory insurance it will only be a few dollars more to hire a driver for the entire day.

While there is nothing really within walking distance from the Ritz, there are several good options for eating in the area.

Scotchies is close by (you could walk there) and it is a good traditional Jerk Pit. There are also restaurants at the Shoppes at Rose Hall and the Half-Moon Shopping Center.
There is a new shopping mall at Ironshore that has several places to eat as well. A trip to the Hip Strip will give you about a dozen options like Margaritaville, Marguerites, Blue Note, Bobsled Cafe, Groovey Grouper and even Burger King. Street food in Jamaica is great! Look for the oilpan chicken guys. They grill the chicken in converted oildrums. Yummy and safe.

Have fun!
onelove
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by onelove
If you have never been to Jamaica...please do not rent a car. Even with the new roads it is very challenging to dirive in Jamaica. By the time you pay the rental and mandatory insurance it will only be a few dollars more to hire a driver for the entire day.

While there is nothing really within walking distance from the Ritz, there are several good options for eating in the area.

Scotchies is close by (you could walk there) and it is a good traditional Jerk Pit. There are also restaurants at the Shoppes at Rose Hall and the Half-Moon Shopping Center.
There is a new shopping mall at Ironshore that has several places to eat as well. A trip to the Hip Strip will give you about a dozen options like Margaritaville, Marguerites, Blue Note, Bobsled Cafe, Groovey Grouper and even Burger King. Street food in Jamaica is great! Look for the oilpan chicken guys. They grill the chicken in converted oildrums. Yummy and safe.

Have fun!
onelove
You are going a bit overboard on the fees and driving bit (atleast during the day). The fees charged are nothing more or less than you would pay in the US and there is no such thing as mandatory insurance. I just rented a car at MBJ and was told by the rep that my card Citibank World MC covers the rental (the reason why I am on the board at this moment) - this was confirmed by the manager and they even wrote on my rental agreement they were so sure. Also, I was not charged the $1,500.00 deductible (usually refunded if no issues).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.