Wiki Posts
Search

Save my vacation/conference

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver
Save my vacation/conference

So I thought I'd have a week out of the office (vacation) followed by a week of a conference... all in the Caribbean. Awesome right? WRONG!! Flight plans (or lack there of) threaten to cancel the vacation!

I have a wedding in STT (St Thomas) on April 30th pm.

Monday May 2, I need to be in GCM (Grand Cayman) at 730 am.

The ONLY flight connections which arent abs insane leave STT at 8 am which is fine but not ideal for the night after a wedding.

Ideas? Help? I checked some charter flights but clearly have a budget in terms of what this can cost/feasibility. Am also worried about getting 'stuck' somewhere by switching airlines.

Only options seem to be STT-SJU-MIA-GCM RIDIC!

Have status on Delta and AA but thats obv not helpful here--
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
Sorry, but welcome to the Caribbean.. yes, you are looking at STT-SJU-MIA-GCM as your best connection... quicker to get to Europe sometimes from GCM than to the Eastern Caribbean.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TomCayman
Sorry, but welcome to the Caribbean.. yes, you are looking at STT-SJU-MIA-GCM as your best connection... quicker to get to Europe sometimes from GCM than to the Eastern Caribbean.
I agree. I am in the Caribbean for at least a week every month. STT, STX, EIS, GDT are some of the places which are hard to combine with other islands.

For STT-GCM on May 2nd, I did a quick Kayak search and found two (of many) options:

dep 8:05 am STT-MIA-GCM arriving at 2:50 pm for $369.
dep 11:15 am STT-SJU-GCM arriving at 7:35 pm for $447.

These were easy to find and give you a choice between a single connection, or sleeping in after the wedding. Were you expecting a direct flight?
--
13F
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

ha!

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I agree. I am in the Caribbean for at least a week every month. STT, STX, EIS, GDT are some of the places which are hard to combine with other islands.

For STT-GCM on May 2nd, I did a quick Kayak search and found two (of many) options:

dep 8:05 am STT-MIA-GCM arriving at 2:50 pm for $369.

These were easy to find and give you a choice between a single connection, or sleeping in after the wedding. Were you expecting a direct flight?
--
13F
No, was not expecting a direct flight. On 5/1 (my travel date) I only see the 805 am option which is subpar at best. Any other option is a 29hr journey which is clearly ridiculous as I could hire a boat to be faster!

I grew up with SDQ as my home airport, clearly not a 'fashionable' airport although STT-GCM is proving that SDQ did have its benefits.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jt7dreamz
No, was not expecting a direct flight. On 5/1 (my travel date) I only see the 805 am option which is subpar at best. Any other option is a 29hr journey which is clearly ridiculous as I could hire a boat to be faster!

I grew up with SDQ as my home airport, clearly not a 'fashionable' airport although STT-GCM is proving that SDQ did have its benefits.
Oops. My search was for May 1st, not sure why I wrote May 2nd. If you don't want 8am, the other option is available:

--
13F

PS I visit SDQ 2-3 times per year. Love the service at the Hilton, and there are some great restaurants in the city.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

i ended up solid AA flights- 805 arriveing GCM 2pm. figured it best in case there are issues. i have had bad luck lately w mismatched connecting flights.

thansk for the tips.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by jt7dreamz
i ended up solid AA flights- 805 arriveing GCM 2pm. figured it best in case there are issues. i have had bad luck lately w mismatched connecting flights.

thansk for the tips.
I just checked and saw a 905am departure arriving 250pm $364 on kayak

AA840 and AA2249. Different flights or have they changed schedules knowing you had a wedding the night before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.