Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C1 Venture X CDW car rental coverage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022 | 6:59 am
Original Poster

I have a question about the card's primary rental coverage insurance. It says that it will cover up to 75k of its retail price. Expensive cars depreciate a lot in the first couple of years. So I assume it means the retail price at the moment of rental and not MSRP of the car.
Old Jan 12, 2022 | 7:47 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Tenesmus83
.... assume it means the retail price at the moment of rental and not MSRP of the car.
Coverage eligibility is based on the MSRP. The maximum amount the insurer would pay is capped at the Actual Cash Value which would likely be less.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver reimburses You for damages caused
by theft or collision – up to the Actual Cash Value of rental vehicles with
an original manufacturer’s suggested retail price of up to seventy-five
thousand dollars ($75,000.00) when new.

Vehicles not covered
Certain vehicles are not covered by this benefit, they consist of expensive,
exotic, and antique cars; cargo vans; certain vans; vehicles with an open
cargo bed; trucks; motorcycles; mopeds; motorbikes; limousines; and
recreational vehicles.
An expensive automobile is defined as any vehicle with an original
manufacturer’s suggested retail price of more than seventy-five thousand
dollars ($75,000.00) when new

Last edited by mia; Jan 12, 2022 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 1, 2022 | 10:27 am

A couple of more questions.

Is car rental insurance primary for Capital One Venture X?

For the Priority Pass... from what I am reading this Priority Pass from Venture X is the one that includes dining/restaurant credit? Can Priority Pass be given to a non-card holder? Or is it locked to CC holder/AU?
Old Mar 1, 2022 | 2:12 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

Originally Posted by fatlard
A couple of more questions.

Is car rental insurance primary for Capital One Venture X?

For the Priority Pass... from what I am reading this Priority Pass from Venture X is the one that includes dining/restaurant credit? Can Priority Pass be given to a non-card holder? Or is it locked to CC holder/AU?
Yes, car rental is primary. I believe this is technically because it's a Visa Infinite card.

The Venture X Priority Pass does include dining/restaurant credit. The Priority Pass membership card has the cardholder name on it. AUs are free though, so you can add other AUs and they each get their own membership.
Old May 20, 2022 | 2:42 am
10 Years on Site

I've experimented with various CDP options, and discovered that the above benefit only comes with the code for AmEx Platinum. The code for Venture X also resulted in higher rental rates in some cases. My dilemma is that I'd love my rentals to be covered by Venture X insurance. I've recently had an interaction with them, and found the service to be phenomenal.

Are there requirements to use matching CDP and payment card combo's? Any ideas what happens if I use the AmEx Platinum CDP (for the grace period) and charge my rental to Venture X?
Old May 20, 2022 | 4:22 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I've experimented with various CDP options, and discovered that the above benefit only comes with the code for AmEx Platinum. The code for Venture X also resulted in higher rental rates in some cases. My dilemma is that I'd love my rentals to be covered by Venture X insurance. I've recently had an interaction with them, and found the service to be phenomenal.

Are there requirements to use matching CDP and payment card combo's? Any ideas what happens if I use the AmEx Platinum CDP (for the grace period) and charge my rental to Venture X?
I've regularly used Amex CDP for the better discount and grace period, while paying with a Chase card. However, Amex's terms do require payment using a Platinum card (and using Platinum Travel for the Hertz booking).

Edit: the above requirement seems to apply to ICC and Platinums issued elsewhere. No such language for US-issued platinums.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; May 20, 2022 at 7:04 am
Old May 20, 2022 | 5:06 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
....Amex's terms do require payment using a Platinum card (and using Platinum Travel for the Hertz booking).
Where do you see these requirements?
Old May 20, 2022 | 6:05 am
10 Years on Site

I've regularly used Amex CDP for the better discount and grace period, while paying with a Chase card. However, Amex's terms do require payment using a Platinum card (and using Platinum Travel for the Hertz booking).
Thanks, that's good to know. So apparently the only requirement to trigger rental insurance is charging the entire rental to the related CC, and Hertz is ok with whatever CDP we decide to use.
Old May 20, 2022 | 6:55 am
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxVO

You don't need to pay a Hertz rental on AMEX Platinum CDP with an AMEX card.
Old May 20, 2022 | 7:03 am
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mia
Where do you see these requirements?
Good question. The terms I saw is for the international currency card: https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...five-star.html

While there are equivalent pages for platinums issued elsewhere, there doesnt seem to to be one for US-issued platinums. The wording from inside the Amex app makes no mention of any requirement, except for the use of Amex CDP:
In addition to Gold Plus Rewards membership, when reserving a car with Hertz, use the Platinum Card from Amex Corporate Discount Code (CDP) to save on your rental, receive a 4-hour grace period on returns within the US, before an extra day charge is applied2, and get a one-car-class upgrade, subject to availability and limitations3.
Old Dec 8, 2023 | 6:24 pm

Venture X Auto CDW

I wanted to know which car models are covered by the Venture X auto CDW benefit. I called eclaimsline twice since the first agent didn't seem very confident. They had huge discrepancies, for example:
  • The first agent said that Kia Niro is covered, but the second agent said it's not covered.
  • For Tesla, the first agent said that Model 3 is covered, but the second agent said that Model S and X (not 3) are covered.
Has anyone else had this problem? How can I confidently know which models are (not) covered by the Venture X benefit? The Guide to Benefits is vaguely written, and both agents claimed that they can't give me a list in writing.

I am very nervous - thanks in advance for any inputs
Old Dec 8, 2023 | 6:48 pm
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trvlr98765
I wanted to know which car models are covered by the Venture X auto CDW benefit. I called eclaimsline twice since the first agent didn't seem very confident. They had huge discrepancies, for example:
  • The first agent said that Kia Niro is covered, but the second agent said it's not covered.
  • For Tesla, the first agent said that Model 3 is covered, but the second agent said that Model S and X (not 3) are covered.
Has anyone else had this problem? How can I confidently know which models are (not) covered by the Venture X benefit? The Guide to Benefits is vaguely written, and both agents claimed that they can't give me a list in writing.

I am very nervous - thanks in advance for any inputs
The PDF guide indicate coverage is provided for vehicle with a MSRP of $75K or less which likely puts the S into no coverage (once you add options) and the X is definitely not covered.
Old Dec 8, 2023 | 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
The PDF guide indicate coverage is provided for vehicle with a MSRP of $75K or less which likely puts the S into no coverage (once you add options) and the X is definitely not covered.
I agree - but why are the phone agents telling me that the Model 3 isn't covered but Model S and X are? It doesn't give me much faith...are these agents known to be contradictory?
Old Dec 10, 2023 | 9:21 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Does the CDW work for Turo rentals?
Old May 24, 2024 | 6:03 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Capital One Rental Car Coverage

I just got an email from Hertz for a rental I completed on Feb 23 that there was a crack in the windshield. I just found out that damage needs to be reported within 45 days for coverage. This is one disadvantage of their coverge vs Chase Sapphire which gives you 60 days although neither would have helped in this situation. I had this same location call me out on paint scrape off a bumper last year almost 2 monhts after I completed a rental and when I asked for proof that i did it they dropped it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.