Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

C1 Venture X Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Does anyone have a POV on how good the travel insurance benefits are on this card? Not sure if it might be identical to the Chase Sapphire Reserve because both are Visa Infinite cards.

I understand that it is primary coverage for rental cars and there maybe similar benefits for airline tickets, etc.. But any data points on which provides better coverage would be really appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Any DP on Trip Delay insurance for award tickets? I know it's supposed to be covered, just looking for DP.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Can anyone confirm what I am [unfortunately] thinking: That the Trip Cancelation/Interruption included with the Venture X does not include accomodation/hotel? This would be unfortunate, and make this benefit less useful than the insurance provided by Amex or Chase Sapphire - though I rarely buy advance purchase hotel rates - given that many hotels only offer cancelation periods of 2-3 days, there is always the risk that something happens in that period - especially since we have kids, and in the age of COVID.

From looking at the terms, I'm seeing the only mention of hotel in the blurb where they're relaying how well you've planned your trip before going into what the insurance does (and no mention of the word accomodation). Then I see the following in that description:
Trip Cancellation and Interruption benefits pay up to two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) per Insured Person for the non-refundable Common Carrier ticket(s) that You paid for with Your covered Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your covered Account
Furthermore, the definition of covered trip (at the end), says this:

Covered Trip means travel on a Common Carrier when the entire cost of the passenger fare for such transportation, less redeemable certificates, vouchers, or coupons, has been purchased with an Insured Person’s covered card Account and/or rewards programs associated with Your covered Account issued by the Policyholder.
Both of these lead me to believe that the trip cancelation/inturruption benefit basically covers airfare (or train tickets, bus tickets, etc.....) only, and not accommodation/hotel. Does anyone else see this differently?

Also, it notes 'rewards program associated with Your covered Account', I assume that means this would not cover frequent flyer awards, just things purchased with miles from Cap1 (Sapphire, specifically, covers trips booked with miles, I'm pretty sure). Is this correct (I'd love to be proven wrong!)?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Can anyone confirm what I am [unfortunately] thinking: That the Trip Cancelation/Interruption included with the Venture X does not include accomodation/hotel? This would be unfortunate, and make this benefit less useful than the insurance provided by Amex or Chase Sapphire - though I rarely buy advance purchase hotel rates - given that many hotels only offer cancelation periods of 2-3 days, there is always the risk that something happens in that period - especially since we have kids, and in the age of COVID.

From looking at the terms, I'm seeing the only mention of hotel in the blurb where they're relaying how well you've planned your trip before going into what the insurance does (and no mention of the word accomodation). Then I see the following in that description:

Furthermore, the definition of covered trip (at the end), says this:

Both of these lead me to believe that the trip cancelation/inturruption benefit basically covers airfare (or train tickets, bus tickets, etc.....) only, and not accommodation/hotel. Does anyone else see this differently?

Also, it notes 'rewards program associated with Your covered Account', I assume that means this would not cover frequent flyer awards, just things purchased with miles from Cap1 (Sapphire, specifically, covers trips booked with miles, I'm pretty sure). Is this correct (I'd love to be proven wrong!)?
I think that is the correct reading for the Trip Cancellation.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:12 am

I just found out that Capital One Venture X has no baggage delay compensation so if you book through the Capital One Travel portal, buyer beware. Chase Sapphire has baggage delay compensation and unless Capital One improves its coverage, I will be using my Chase card for future flight bookings.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
I just found out that Capital One Venture X has no baggage delay compensation so if you book through the Capital One Travel portal, buyer beware. Chase Sapphire has baggage delay compensation and unless Capital One improves its coverage, I will be using my Chase card for future flight bookings.
You can still submit a claim to the airline directly for potential compensation. For Chase you have to include the paperwork from your claim with the airline to invoke that coverage, so you have to file a claim with the airline either way.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold

Originally Posted by italdesign
Any DP on Trip Delay insurance for award tickets? I know it's supposed to be covered, just looking for DP.
Also curious about this. Had a cancellation for tomorrow on an award trip with taxes paid on my venture x. I assume I can get a hotel covered?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Also curious about this. Had a cancellation for tomorrow on an award trip with taxes paid on my venture x. I assume I can get a hotel covered?
To be eligible for this coverage, You need to purchase either a portion or the entire cost of Your Common Carrier fare using Your Account.

Paying the taxes alone should be enough to make a claim under trip delay as long as you have written documentation from the airline that specifically states you were delayed more than 6 hours (or overnight) due to one of the 4 covered hazards: equipment failure, inclement weather, strike, or hijacking/skyjacking.

Note that crew delay / crew timeout is not a covered hazard on any credit card, including the Venture X.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
To be eligible for this coverage, You need to purchase either a portion or the entire cost of Your Common Carrier fare using Your Account.

Paying the taxes alone should be enough to make a claim under trip delay as long as you have written documentation from the airline that specifically states you were delayed more than 6 hours (or overnight) due to one of the 4 covered hazards: equipment failure, inclement weather, strike, or hijacking/skyjacking.

Note that crew delay / crew timeout is not a covered hazard on any credit card, including the Venture X.
DL canceled due to “weather” so that should be all good. Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
You should be eligible, though the actual process may not be easy. I'm in back and forth hell with them trying to get reimbursed for a delay back in March. It took a month to get any response, then they keep giving me the runaround with vague claims of missing information, I would resubmit it and they come back with a new vague claim. Only my very first Trip Delay claim with any CC was this difficult; subsequent claims had been straight forward.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:45 am

You should be eligible, though the actual process may not be easy. I'm in back and forth hell with them trying to get reimbursed for a delay back in March. It took a month to get any response, then they keep giving me the runaround with vague claims of missing information, I would resubmit it and they come back with a new vague claim. Only my very first Trip Delay claim with any CC was this difficult; subsequent claims had been straight forward.
I submitted a claim earlier last month for a taxi ride and had no problems, so I’m hoping it will be the same. Just a bit worried about getting push back because it was an award flight. NYC is a mess today!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:57 am

Just to update on my Trip Delay claim, I went through several more rounds of false assertions and incomplete refunds by incompetent claim examiners, but every time I called to speak with a live person, they confirmed my claimed amount is correct and all receipts were uploaded; the examiner just missed something. Today the full amount finally got approved, 3 months after submission.

I probably spent 10 hours on this claim overall. The incompetence is astounding. Next time I'll spend 30min more initially to attach a clear itemization of the expenses, which could have saved the 6 hours I spent dealing with people who can't do their job.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:41 pm

Pilot Shortage Credit Card Trip Delay Rejected.

Last month, my AA flight got delayed two nights due to "pilot shortage" stranding me in Miami. I used my Capital One Venture X card for the purchase of the ticket and filed a trip delay.

Today, I find out that the claim was rejected because "pilot shortage" is not a covered hazard!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to honor this claim because:-The reason for the flight delay is not a covered hazard. A Covered Hazard includes equipment failure, inclement weather, labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking.

Does this seem right to you? Anyone else have any experience trying to get trip delay protection for "pilot shortage"?

Thanks.

Last edited by Pointsloop; Aug 26, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Pointsloop
Last month, my AA flight got delayed overnight due to "pilot shortage" stranding me in Miami. I used my Capital One Venture X card for the purchase of the ticket and filed a trip delay.

Today, I find out that the claim was rejected because "pilot shortage" is not a covered hazard!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to honor this claim because:-The reason for the flight delay is not a covered hazard. A Covered Hazard includes equipment failure, inclement weather, labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking.

Does this seem right to you? Anyone else have any experience trying to get trip delay protection for "pilot shortage"?

Thanks.
If your flight was delayed overnight due to a pilot shortage, was AA not obligated to provide you with lodging and meals? That could explain why pilot shortage is not one of the covered perils on the Capital One coverage.

​​​​​​​Did you seek food and lodging from AA at the airport?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:02 pm

Our flight was delayed for two nights, and while AA did provide us with room but they only gave us 6 food vouchers only good for like $60 total.

My claim with capital one was only for $170, which covered the rest of the meals and uber rides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.