Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Spark Cash vs Quicksilver vs...?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Capital One Spark Cash vs Quicksilver vs...?

Looking for the highest % cashback on all purchases, plus no forex fees (and it must be Visa, with Visa Signature benefits). I'll be using this card for when I move overseas this summer, so unfortunately cards with cashback categories don't apply (those usually don't apply to overseas purchases...correct me if I'm wrong though!). As far as I can tell, the Spark Cash gives the highest flat cashback rate (2%) of any card out there with no forex fees...but it's a business card. The Quicksilver seems to be tied with a few other personal cards at 1.5%. Is there any appreciable difference between the two? Are the Visa (personal) Signature benefits the same as the Visa Business benifits? Any issues with getting the Spark Cash without a real business?

The other card I was looking at was the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but that seems identical to the Quicksilver, only with a worse 1% flat cashback.

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2015, 7:15 am

what benefits of "Visa Signature" do you need? travel protection?

Spark cash has annual fee (waived first year) - do you plan to keep it after 1 year?

Visa fx rate might not be the best you can get - you might want to use a variety of cards with no FTF

(older thread talking about it)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...than-visa.html

you can see the rate that visa gives (the rate charged by your bank/credit card might be slightly different than this rate)

http://usa.visa.com/personal/card-be...calculator.jsp

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/
Old May 28, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I'd like to stick with Visa...I already have the AmEx Blue Cash Prefered and Platinum cards, but I need a good card for when a merchant doesn't take AmEx. Plus, again, I'll be using this primarily overseas, so I need the best flat cashback % I can get. In my experience, slightly fewer merchants accept MC vs Visa...I've heard "we don't take Amex" plenty of times, very occasionally they won't take MC, but never have I run into anyone that only accepts MC or AmEx but not Visa.

I like the peace of mind that the extended warranty and purchase protection bring. Already used that twice this year on my Amex platinum.

I'll probably only keep the card for a year.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:56 pm

Well of course the Citi DoubleCash needs to be mentioned, but that is a Mastercard and as you've said you'd prefer a Visa Signature.

When it comes to Visa Signature cards and cashback, there are the Capital One cards you mentioned and also the Fidelity Visa Signature. I think the Fidelity might be a better bet for you. It's 1.5% for the first $15k per year, and then after $15k it becomes 2%. Slightly tops the Quiksilver.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...signature-card

Enjoy!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I ended up going with the Spark Cash. Seems like a flat 2% is the best I'm going to get. The $500 signup bonus isn't bad either! They said they mailed it yesterday, so should be here this week.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I got the Quicksilver.. but I only have one merchant that uses that card - Uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.