Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Capital One/Verified by Visa online purchases overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

FYI, I was unable to make online purchases in Turkey using my Capital One Visa card, specifically Turkish Airlines, Turkcell (to top of my prepaid sim card) and Pegasus Airlines. All 3 companies use Verified by Visa. After entering my cc information, the Verified by Visa screen would pop up, I entered the information it requested, but none of the purchases went through. Fortunately, my SunTrust debit card worked for all 3 purchases.

When I returned to the us, I tried to register my Capital One card with Verified by Visa here: https://www.securesuite.net/capitalo...on/welcome.jsp

It wouldn't let me register my card, so I call Capital One, and they say they haven't participated in Verified by Visa since 2007 and said they were unable to pull up the above website.

Anyway, ymmv, but don't count on using your Capital One card for online purchases overseas.

My hypothesis is that if a US credit/debit card doesn't participate in Verified by Visa program, they can't be used for online purchases overseas. I don't think BofA credit cards participate in the program, either, so if you're counting on using that card, you may reconsider.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jchock1
Anyway, ymmv, but don't count on using your Capital One card for online purchases overseas.
Don't count on using any US issued credit card overseas, online or otherwise. Chip and pin is a big problem (see the thread) and some companies won't take any US issued cards.

My hypothesis is that if a US credit/debit card doesn't participate in Verified by Visa program, they can't be used for online purchases overseas.
There are a whole lot of overseas online vendors who don't require verified by visa. Many if not most Visa users don't require it and MC and Amex cards obviously don't participate.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:16 am

My hypothesis is that if a US credit/debit card doesn't participate in Verified by Visa program, they can't be used for online purchases overseas. I don't think BofA credit cards participate in the program, either, so if you're counting on using that card, you may reconsider.
Your hypothesis is overly broad. I have used my Capital One Visa card to purchase many items on European online sites--train tickets, museum passes, etc. However, trenitalia.it would not accept my card--many, many people have had similar problems with this site not accepting American credit cards.

It is more correct to say that there are some foreign sites that do not accept American-issued credit cards. This has nothing to do with Verified by Visa.

Last edited by wsflyer; Jun 4, 2010 at 2:36 pm
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by wsflyer
Your hypothesis is overly broad.
Agreed, I have used my Capital One Visa with European, Australian, and even Fijian websites.

Last edited by onlybeef42; Jun 4, 2010 at 8:37 am Reason: Added Visa
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ClubCarlson Concierge
I have also used my Capital One Visa to make online purchases with overseas companies/websites with no trouble. In fact, I will often use my Capital One card to make advance purchases with overseas websites prior to overseas travel, then take that card with me for use overseas. The fact that Capital One does not charge me foreign transaction fee (like some other cards) is quite nice also .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.