Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

CP966 Aborts take-off this morning in YEG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2000, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

The 737 aircraft used on CP's new YEG-YOW-YUL service aborted its take-off this morning when a fire broke out in one of the two engines. According to local radio newscasts, the automatic extinguishers functioned as they should and the pilot was able to get the plane off to the tarmac where the 90+ passengers were let off. No other details at this time. As I am schedule to take this same flight and aircraft on Friday, I'll see what I can find out at the airport.
Old Jul 20, 2000, 8:11 pm

Just to add the little that I know; the fire vehicles responded which is their normal procedure but there was no fire by the time they arrived. Apparently it is being reported that one engine seized and it flamed out for a few seconds. Cause unknown at this time (speculation is bird, debris or tire rubber ingested into the engine). The passengers were all calmly deplaned through the forward door, were picked up by a bus and shuttled back to the terminal. No escape slides were deployed. All the travellers were booked on later flights in the day. It was about two hours later that the aircraft was towed off the taxiway.

[This message has been edited by A Flygirl (edited 07-20-2000).]
Old Jul 21, 2000, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There is currently a shuttle 737 on this service replacing the sidelined 737 which still sits on the tarmac at YEG past the new terminal being built. This replacement aircraft has no inflight entertainment system and thus offers no movies, music or at-seat power. Nobody I spoke to at YEG airport this morning seemed to know when the engine would be replaced and the aircraft put back into service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.