Wiki Posts
Search

Star Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2000, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Star Lounge access

As noted on the CP site, Empress Lounge, Gold and Platinum members, and one guest, have access to Star Alliance lounges when travelling internationally. It does NOT say that you have to be flying with a Star Carrier.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 5:51 pm

I'm guessing it's another one of those "not what we say, but what we mean" deals, similar to the 'any Maple Leaf or Empress lounge' situation of a few months ago.
Old Jun 5, 2000, 11:36 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I left HKG yesterday and I used the UA Red Carpet Lounge with no problem. I was allowed one guest.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had a reverse experience. While transiting through YVR on my way to SIN on SIA (*A member), I tried to use the Empress lounge in the international section because it was closer to my departure gate. I was flying J class and am Elite on AC. I was refused entry and told to go to the MLL. I politely stated that I believed that access for both eligible CP and AC members was now a fait accompli. I met a stone wall. I did not argue the point as I was not sure and I went to the MLL. Can someone clarify this point for me as I will be making the same journey in the future.
Old Jun 6, 2000, 5:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
In the March April newsletter it states:
"access all Canadian Airlines Empress lounges if you're an Aeroplan Super Elite or Elite member" (I presume with the same subrules--ie anytime for SE and with same day boarding pass on AC or Star Alliance for Elite).
Old Jun 6, 2000, 5:21 am
Original Member

The complete rules:

LOUNGE ACCESS:
Now, eligible Air Canada and Canadian Airlines Customers are welcome to any Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge or Canadian Airlines Empress Lounge when travelling on any Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight.

Access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges and Canadian Airlines Empress Lounges is provided as listed below (exceptions are noted):

Air Canada Executive First ticket or Canadian Airlines International Business ticket: a confirmed same-day ticket for travel on an Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight.
Air Canada Executive Class ticket or Canadian Airlines Business Class ticket: a confirmed same-day ticket for travel on an Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight.
Aeroplan Super Elite and Canadian Plus Executive Platinum members: with valid membership card, at all times without the requirement to travel
Aeroplan Elite members and Canadian Plus Gold members: - membership card and a confirmed same day ticket on any Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight or Star Alliance flight (any class of service)
Star Alliance Gold (access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges only): Star Alliance Gold card and a confirmed, same-day ticket on any Star Alliance partner at any fare
Maple Leaf Lounge card and Empress Lounge card: membership cards and a confirmed, same-day ticket on any Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight or Star Alliance ticket at any fare
Diners Club EnRoute Maple Leaf Lounge membership card and a confirmed, same-day ticket for travel on any Air Canada or Canadian Airlines designated flight or Star Alliance ticket at any fare
Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass (access to Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges only): guest pass with a confirmed, same-day ticket on an AC or CP designated flight.
Empress Lounge One-Time Guest Pass (access to Canadian Airlines Empress Lounges only): guest pass with a confirmed, same-day ticket on an AC or CP designated flight.

Access to Air Canada Arrivals Lounges(Vancouver and London, Heathrow) is provided to the following eligible members arriving into Canada or London from any Air Canada or Canadian Airlines overseas flight, holding a same day overseas travel boarding card:

Air Canada Executive First and Canadian International Business ticket holders
Air Canada Super Elite and Canadian Plus Executive Platinum (any class of service)
Air Canada Elite and Canadian Plus Gold (any class of service)
Old Jun 6, 2000, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BlondeBomber: Thanks for the extra effort to clarify this point. With all these changes, I would have to carry a sizeable binder to keep up with the pace. On the other hand, the onus is on the airline to educate staff to the current rules. While I am quite sympathetic to the plight of staff keeping current with this massive change, I don't fancy certain attitudes that are not customer friendly.
Old Jun 7, 2000, 11:04 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

So I am a CP ExecPlat. Let say I am not travelling and my friend with no status is travelling, can I go in the MLL with my EP card and bring him as a guest. How do I get through security?
Old Jun 7, 2000, 11:46 pm
Original Member

I don't know if they are treating EP's the same as Super Elite. If you are not travelling as SE you can get into the lounge but not generally with a guest (this is vague but they have tried to be sticky at the check in counters but not so bad in the lounges).

You get a gate pass at the check in counters to go through security (not allowed for transborder lounges and LHR though). Some check-in agents do not know you can do this and have to ask (it clearly outlines the procedure in the SE guide).

Some security do not like honoring the gate pass and I have had the odd (ie rare) occurrence (e.g YOW) where they tried to refuse me entry to the boarding area even with a gate pass! I eventually got in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.