Wiki Posts
Search

CP 7/8

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2000, 7:09 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

CP 7/8

I have noticed that CP 7/8 between YVR - HKG have been delayed for at least several hours the last couple days. Since CP 8 is a turnaround of CP 7, it cause most people connecting into YYZ to have to take the redeye.

Is a 747 out of service or is there something else?
Old Apr 24, 2000, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Could be any of a dozen reasons.

Even one delay can have long follow on effects. If an aircraft is late in one day, they may have to move another aircraft in to take care of its next rotation, causing a domino effect all down the line.

I don't know if the equipment still overnights in Asia. This would allow you to return to schedule in one rotation, but if they are now doing fast turnarounds in Asia, then you don't get that luxury.

Since CP only has a limited number of A/C available to do YVR HKG, this spin off effect can last for weeks, until a routine maintainance cycle would take care of things.

If the flights are lightly booked, it would theoretically be possible to substitute an aircraft (say an AC 340), but in a heavily booked period, sometimes you have to keep slugging through until you get back to normal.
Old Apr 24, 2000, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

What's more weird is that all 747 flights to Asia is delayed for couple hours. The only reason I could come up with is that one of the 747 is out of service? The 767 flight to beijing is on time.
Old Apr 24, 2000, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Just how many 744s is CP operating now? Is it down from 4? The 744s do not overnight in HKG any longer and make the return in the early evening so only 2 are needed, and they can turn around at YVR and head to HNL and be back for the next day's flight to HKG.

Are the other 2 on the TPE route?
Old Apr 24, 2000, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Right now they have 4 747s.

2 used for YVR - HKG
1 used for YVR - NRT
1 used for YVR - TPE

They don't use 747 for HNL anymore. They have switched to 767s.

Even if 1 747 is out of service, I still don't think all the 747 routes should be affected. Maybe it was a conincidence? But it is very rare though as all of them delayed for almost 4 - 6 hrs today.
Old Apr 25, 2000, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Yes, one delayed aircraft can affect all the 747 routes. Remember, you cannot do YVR-TPE-YVR within 24 hours, so you cannot dedicate just one aircraft to this route.

When the inbound arrives from TPE, it is already too late to operate the outbound. That means that the inbound from NRT or from HKG has to turn into YVR-TPE, and the inbound from TPE has to turn into the other.

If you get one late aircraft, you can upset the entire system, because those aircraft are now never on the ground for more than a couple of hours.

Your only hope to recover would be to substitute a 767 on YVR-NRT-YVR one day, but the loss of load would be hard to schedule in. You might get away with it on a day with a lot of YYZ and east originating traffic which could be moved over to AC.

It is extremely tight aircraft utilization.
Old Apr 25, 2000, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I do belive there was a 747 out of service. The YVR - TPE route is back to normal while the NRT and HKG route is still delayed.

2 aircraft are solely dedicated to YVR - HKG as one leaves YVR at 12:15 while the inbound from HKG arrives at 2:15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.