Wiki Posts
Search

LAX: CP moving

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 1999, 8:33 pm
ALW
Original Poster

LAX: CP moving

I heard this while on hold Friday night, but it's on their website. Effective November 29/99, CP is moving from Terminal 4 to Terminal 3 at LAX (the latter being where Alaska Airlines is). I think it's also closer to the runway as it seems from Terminal 4 we always taxi all the way around Tom Bradley Terminal and then roll past Terminal 2.

Eligible flyers will use TWA's lounge in Terminal 3. Any comments on this lounge, or TWA lounges in general?

andrew
Old Nov 16, 1999, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Hey Andrew -

I find Terminal 3 an interesting choice for CP since it will leave AA in Terminal 4, however, some gates became available when the Reno Air/AA merger took place earlier this year.

On the plus side, regarding the move, is that the normal take-off runway is much closer, however, on the down side, the TWA Lounge there is a bit dated in decor. It also does double duty as an Alaska Board Room (aka Lounge). When I have used it (when on AS) it has rarely been busy - TWA only has 6 flights to STL, one to SJU (red-eye) and three to JFK. Expect it to be busy when the JFK flights with TWA and AS flights to SEA and PDX all leave within an hour of each other (around noon and 8-9 pm). As with most US lounges, "beverages" are not free and the wine selections are pretty slim.
Old Nov 16, 1999, 5:46 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks, PW.

Terminal 3 actually makes more sense than Terminal 4 since AS flys LAX-YVR and CP puts their number on it. It will be a bigger pain for those poor guys who keep missing or almost missing the flight to San Diego (it seems every time I fly YVR-LAX, they announce that the SD connectors had better move smartly -- now they've got an airside bus to catch!).

I noticed the lousy position wrt runway when I switch from AC in T2 to CP in T4. It's not much but I guess it could save 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the TWA lounge comments. As CP Gold I get two bar coupons at AA lounges, wonder if it will be the same here (or if CP will drop it in another cost-cutting measure).

Andrew
Old Nov 16, 1999, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I'm impressed with your knowledge of the 'beverage' coupons for us CP Gold (and Exec) members that exist in the AA lounges. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif I am leaning towards a 'NO' on this one given that it's TWA's lounge and there isn't a linkage b/w TW and CP - but hey, you never know.

By the sounds if it AW you must long for the return of the AS YVR-SAN non-stops? Those were the days.
Old Nov 16, 1999, 9:26 pm
Original Member

Andrew:

Bar coupons? Never heard of them. Can you elaborate?

Also, LAX-YVR 6 CP operated flights daily, 4 AS operated.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 7:42 am
ALW
Original Poster

Ken,

They've never ever volunteered them, but I finally remembered/bothered to ask when I flew through Chicago in October.

They gave me two Admirals Club coupons for one complimentary alcoholic beverage each. Good only at that location on that date. I assume this is to make up for not having free booze (although I'd rather have a coupon for a decent snack).

I didn't use the ORD coupons because in the end I realized the bar has nothing of interest to me, it just looks better-stocked because of the layout (and the fact there are about six places where the same set of bottles are placed).

I never ask in LAX because it's always about 7am (I know, that's no excuse!). I suppose they might be useable for juice or something else.

I first found out when I mentioned to an Empress Lounge person that it was nice to have the free drinks, and she said they were supposed to give me the coupons at AA.

I think it was also buried in one of the Gold+Platinum updates that comes between
newsletter months.

Of course this is for Gold and Platinum members only.

andrew
Old Dec 3, 1999, 5:34 pm
ALW
Original Poster

CP has been in T3 since Monday. Has anyone flown through there (most importantly, out of T3) yet? I'm flying in on 5/12 and out on 11/12 and will post if anything interesting happens.

Thanks!
andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.