Wiki Posts
Search

Winter schedule

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 1999, 1:32 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Winter schedule

Just got a chance to pick up a copy of CP's winter schedule copy over the weekend's travel. Discovered some 'stupid' changes CP made:

Toronto - Vancouver
  • number of flights have been reduced. CP 983 which leaves in the morning has been dropped. Instead putting customer on CP1 and CP7 which continues on to TKY and HKG from YVR. CP983 is probably is highest loading out of all the flights leaving from YYZ-YVR, why would they do that? I think they try to redirect those customer on CP7 and CP1 to make their planes look fuller.
  • They continue to use A320 on a lot of these flights. I personally have heard a lot of criticism regarding A320 J seats, especially from those paying customer. After all, us that get upgrades can't complain!, but till hate them. Found that pitch in J class on the 737 was even better than A320 this weekend.
  • Cancelled the 20:45 out of YYZ - YVR and 15:00 out of YVR - YYZ. I know those are added on flights in the summer time. However, those flights are convienient espcially when I can catch the 20:45 to YVR after work in order to get a night rest before starting work. Also too big of a gap between 14:15 and 16:00 leaving from YVR. This makes the last flight out of YYZ 19:00.

Some other things I noticed are:
  • Cancelled the direct flight from Calgary to Tokyo which is usually/always filled to capacity. Now people have to fly to YVR and then fly to Tokyo.
  • Changed some A320 flights betwwen YYZ-YYC to 737. Maybe I am wrong, don't think they have movies on 737, do they? What happen then on 5 hour flights from YOW-YVR?

Some changes they made for the new schedule is unbelievable.

Regards,
Empress

Old Nov 2, 1999, 2:30 pm

CP's Boeing 737s are equipped with the video monitors. However, on my last LAX to YVR flight, there is no movie or short subject. I am flying it next weekend from DFW to YYZ on Y class. I will check if it will show short subjects or not.

CP 7 was a popular flight. CP is now codesharing with CX too. There will be some extraordinary full DC-10 morning flights from YYZ to YVR.
Old Nov 2, 1999, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

They haven't operated the DC10 from YYZ-YVR probably close to a year now. They don't usually book you on CP7 domestically unless you ask for it. They usually save it for people connecting to HKG and Asia. CX doesn't help much in this case because their flight to HK departs in the evening. That's why CP983 was such a important flight.

Regards,
Empress
Old Nov 2, 1999, 4:30 pm
ALW

On flights over three hours, they show movies on the CRT on 737s.

on flights under three hours, e.g. YVR-LAX, they usually don't have the CRT or music (or in-seat power). But while they sometimes have the screen on those shorter flights, they don't show a movie (last time this happened to me, they showed Dave Chalk's Computer Show and a couple of other features, both from Discovery Channel I think).

andrew
Old Nov 2, 1999, 6:04 pm
Original Member

I took a DC10 on YYZ-YVR a few weeks ago. They are still flown on that route several times a week, sometimes twice on one day.

Regarding A320 J seats -- on the rare occasions when I am unable to secure a DC10 seat, I've found myself in one of these A320 seats. I was pleasantly surprised the first time. I found them to be quite comfortable, and slightly better than the 737 seats. I particularly liked the "swinging" tray tables. To each his own, I suppose.

The evening flights (1700-1900) that I usually take home from YYZ often leave standbys behind. Given that these are often DC10s, it seems the evening flights are at least as busy as the morning flights in that direction.

Not all 737s have the video systems, but most do. I've been doing a lot of YVR-DFW and YVR-ORD trips of late, and all have had several "short subjects." These have included a shortened edition of Canada AM, David Chalk, Friends, Seinfeld, several TLC/Discover type programs, and I think at least one travelogue type program (i.e. "Destination Vancouver.") These trips are usually about 4 hours, so I don't know if the 3 hour DFW-YYZ trip will have the shorts. The sub 2 hour trips (i.e. YVR-SFO, YVR-YYC) don't normally have any video, but once in a while they'll show a couple of shorts.

As far as convenience, as much as any airline might like to have a convenient schedule, there comes a point (in this case, winter) where they'd be losing too much money. I don't really think they have a choice in the matter.

Old Nov 2, 1999, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant they don't operate DC10 for CP7 anymore cause they've been using 767 and 747. They still use them occasionally for the 17:00, 17:45 or 19:00 flights.

Regards,
Empress

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.