Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Skip paying the change fee? You don't get a boarding pass!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 1999, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS

CP is implementing a new computer system copied from US Air and SABRE, that no boarding pass will be issued if you fail to pay the change fee penalty, if you have one.

Apparently Canadian Airlines has been losing up to C$21 million a year on penalty revenue which should have been paid by customers. The new system, due to be implemented systemwide from 14th October, will not print a boarding pass until the correct format has been entered into the CRS that the change fee has been paid.

Apparently people with advance purchase tickets on fixed date/flights have shown up for an earlier flight and requesting to be let on. Most of the time, agents bypass the change fee rule and simply overrode the system and issued you a boarding pass. With the new system in place, one can no longer do that until the penalty is paid.

US Air apparently invented the format and SABRE has bought the technology. Expect American Airlines to follow a similar strategy effective Nov for their advance purchase fares.

[This message has been edited by Celestar340 (edited 10-12-1999).]
Old Oct 12, 1999, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Celestar:

Hmmm... What's your source for this? My understanding is that "same day standby" has always be a legitimate option with CP, although I can't swear to it. And if there is space available on an earlier flight, allowing a passenger to fly earlier may open up space on a later, otherwise full flight.

Seems particularly bizarre (and AC like) to me. Hope it's not true.

Regards,

Ken Hamer

[This message has been edited by KenHamer (edited 10-12-1999).]
Old Oct 12, 1999, 1:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Actually it's not even AC like. Most fares in Canada (not sure about international ones but then it is usually irrelevant), allow same day standby (NOTE THE WORD STANDBY) at no additional cost. This can be before or after the flight that you are booked on. I always check to make sure there is seat availability before doing this though.

I have been 100% successful on AC doing this and I do it all the time, usually to standby for an earlier flight. In fact, I plan my travel this way. I always book on the latest flight I would want to take, then if I am finished early I show up and ask for standby. Not only do I get on the plane, I have gotten upgraded almost 100% on last minute standby as well.

It's a different matter if you phone or show up at the gate and ask for a confirmed seat on the flight and make the change. Then you have to pay.

Unless you are really nervous about getting to your destination and the flight looks full, always ask to go standby and print out the fare rules (Travelocity has the most complete fare rules and look in the Reroute rules for "PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/ LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS FOR WHICH THE FARE IS APPLICABLE AND BETWEEN TICKETED CITY PAIRS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST". These sometimes do not apply to L fares but they have for the last two years on both AC and CP (N fares?).

Make sure the fare is applicable for your travel time. It is sometimes better to pay slightly more for a Q fare if the L fare is only valid on flights after 5 PM or before 8 AM.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 10-12-1999).]
Old Oct 12, 1999, 5:42 pm

Hello,
Even if they do have this "new" computer system, it still has to have a mechanism or entry for the agent to over-ride the change fee. For example, if your flight is cancelled due to weather or mechanical problems, etc. I think with e-tickets, the system can also more easily track the "agent sine" (thats what they call each agents code in the system) that made the change. However, they always have a way to over-ride the system if they so choose.....so don't give up getting those fees waived just yet.
Old Oct 14, 1999, 7:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My source is someone who works for Canadian. She told me that she had to attend a course based on the ticketing system that Canadian has just implemented. The start-up date is supposed to be today (Thur 14th Oct) bu8t could be delayed by a few days if kinks kick in.

Basically, agents no longer can override tickets that have a change-fee penalty. If a payment is missing, the Boarding Pass will just NOT print. If you find otherwise, let me know whoever is travelling in the next few days.

I don't know if Exec Plats' can get away without paying though. Will check!
Old Oct 14, 1999, 12:13 pm
Original Member

From the fare rules for a CP "N" fare -- they don't get any lower than this, with the execption of web specials:
4/ PSGRS HOLDING CONFIRMED RES/TKTS MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLTS FOR WHICH FARE APPLICABLE
Seems to explicityly allow same day changes. Note that there is no mention of a penalty/change fee, as there is for some other similar changes in the same rule.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
P.S. BB: The AC poke was in reference to AC management's recent, and in my view bizarre, threats against its shareholders with regard to the Onex deal, particularly when they've been claiming to look out for the shareholder.

Don't want to get too far off topic here, so I'll leave it at that.

[This message has been edited by KenHamer (edited 10-14-1999).]
Old Oct 14, 1999, 7:13 pm
ALW

Here's a theory: if same-day standby is allowed under the tariff, perhaps this new program will recognize that and not demand the change fee?

Celestar's post was that a boarding pass won't issue when a change fee is due and unpaid.

andrew
Old Oct 14, 1999, 10:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok guyz, the update on this issue...

When you have a 'special' fare that carries a penalty chahnge fee, and you call the reservations office to request a change, they will tell you that there is a change fee invloved. How many of us will probably say ... that we will pay it at the airport.

At the airport, check-in staff usually do not bother with change fees and such especially if there are queues etc, the agents might 'skip' collecting change fees and override the system.

Basically, now whenever you call the reservations and do your change, the computer will automatically prompt the agent to collect the change fee. The res agent will then 'forward' that message to the airport. When you arrive at the airport to check -in , whether at the counter or gate, and when your name is called up on the computer, a 'ticketing mask' will appear on the screen to prompt for payment otherwise the boarding pass will not issue. If the agent decides to override the system, he/she can...BUT they must get authorisation from supervior or supervisors involved, put in a valid reason to do so....basically a procedure that is lengthy and a pain in the butt before the boarding pass will issue. Of course, flight delays due to weather, mechanical faults would be exempted from this - the airport desks would still have to go through the lengthy procedures, but the supervisors be on hand to exempt change fees here. If agents waive change fees, they basically have more to answer for than before.

Exec Platinum members are not exempt! http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Still up to the airport agents whether to implement the change fee. Just remember that getting on a plane at last minute on a V fare won't be that easy again.
Old Oct 15, 1999, 12:20 am
Original Member

Well, that doesn't suck quite as much. Still, on more than one occaision, I've called the Platinum desk to change a res, fully expecting to pay the change fee, only to be told they will waive it. It'll be interesting to see what happens next time the issue comes up.

Still, as long as I can book a lightly loaded (read "upgrade probable") flight late in the day, and then show up earlier for same day standby if I finish earlier, I'll be happy.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Oct 15, 1999, 4:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Ken:

Here's the catch 22. Please note the words "for which fare applicable".

I believe this means that if you are holding a ticket based on an "N" fare, and there are "N" fare seats available on the flight you want to get on, you'll probably get away without the change penalty.

However, if there are no "N" fare seats available, they're going to charge you the penalty.

Robert Johnson
danville 1K
Old Oct 15, 1999, 9:31 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

That's not true.

For domestic travel:
You can only change your ticket provided that the class that you are travelling on is avaliable on the flight you are planning to change to and you are willing to pay the $100 change fee.

In regards to the $100 change fee, if you are just starting your ticket (ie first segment), you cannot pay $100 to change it although the class is avaliable.

Regards,
Empress
Old Oct 15, 1999, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I travelled on CP yesterday and got my ticket changed for 2 flights. In YYC, there was a note on the agent's desk about the new prices. Pretty much covers all that has been discussed already. The bottom line is that they are enforcing the rules.

I asked to go standby on an earlier flight on both legs yesterday and made it. They never asked for the $100, though the YYC agent said "Let me see what class ticket you are travelling on". It was V.
Old Oct 16, 1999, 10:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Domestic gate agents might still let one or two passengers go. But basically this new rule is being implemented system-wide including international destinations.

Wait till the Christmas rush sets in with YYZ's first major snowstorm!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.