Wiki Posts
Search

AC does, why doesn't CP?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 1999, 11:44 am
ALW
Original Poster

AC does, why doesn't CP?

I've noticed a couple of things that AC gives its Elite members that CP doesn't do. Of course they have no obligation, but I'm surprised they don't match AC feature-for-feature (being #2 and trying harder, that is).

1. AC gives the 25% bonus in Q-miles on upgraded fares. I'm surprised that CP doesn't either do that outright, or at least on transborder flights, where the cheapest econofare is already earning 1pt/$ (and maybe on full domestic fares too). Note that AC gives 625pts for an upgraded flight YOW-YYZ vs. 250pts in the back.

2. AC explicitly allows you to bring one guest, _or_ your immediate family, into the lounge. Admittedly the place can get overrun with kids at vacation time, but it's a nice touch to allow it. Since I don't have a family to bring, I don't actually benefit from this, but I could see that I'd appreciate taking my 2 parents into the lounge if the three of us ever travelled together.

Just wondering if anyone has insight into this, or reasons why CP don't do it.

Thanks!
andrew
Old Jul 17, 1999, 7:09 pm
Original Member

CP does allow one guest, but my experience has been that they allow families in, and if they are not busy, they will let you bring in more than one guest. I'm in the Ottawa Empress Lounge as I type, and the place is crawling with families. There appears to be at least 5, and possibly 7, different families. The largest group is father, mother, and 5 kids. (In fact, the Platinum concierge just tracked me down, and apologized for the noisy kids.)

As far as the status qualifying bonus points go, it would be nice, but I suppose they feel there is no need for it. After all, I don't think there are very many people who wouldn't upgrade, just 'cause they didn't get an extra 500 points on YVR-YYZ. Even if there was, it probably would work in CP's favour, as there would be one more upgrade (or possibly revenue) seat availble.

On top of that, the number of points to reach status is lower on CP than AC, so in the end, I suspect it pretty much evens out.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
P.S. I just asked the lounge agent, and the answer was Yes, they do allow families, as well as one guest.

Old Jul 17, 1999, 7:18 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments.

re: 125% for upgrades, you're right, but conversely the extra 25% might encourage a few extra upgrades on longer flights. Presumably if there's an empty BC seat on a flight, they'd have been happier with an at-the-gate upgrade for $135 (to use YOW-YVR as an example), and the extra 553pts would be an additional enticement on top of whatever other enticement is there already.

But let me turn the
original question around: why does AC do it when CP doesn't? I admit I'm surprised they give the extra Q-miles on a half-points fare, but giving them when the ultra-cheap ticket already earns full fare (YYZ-LAX) makes sense.

Thanks also for the details on the lounges. I'll file that away for future reference.

Oh, and speaking of lounges, do the lounge agents do last-minute upgrades, or are they strictly under control of the gate?

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 07-17-1999).]
Old Jul 18, 1999, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
What AC does does not mean that CP has to follow. I just hope that it stays that way. Because right now the qualifying for Exec Plat is 85K, and AC's SE is 100K. I'd prefer it stays that way.

CP's Exec Plat also has a loyalty bonus which AC does not have.

We can't have the two ff programme offering exactly the same benefits. Otherwise they might as well (cringe) merge!
Old Jul 18, 1999, 4:52 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I agree that competing airlines don't have to do everything in lockstep, but let's face it, they do that a lot. Usually at our cost.

I just figure that as #2, CP tries harder. For instance, their B fares seem to cost the same as AC's, but they're almost a hybrid of AC's B and M fares. Fully changeable and refundable, and apparently the refund is calculated based on Y for segments used (like AC's B), but with no advance purchase requirement (like AC's M, vs. 3 days for AC's B).

Regarding the Exec Platinum loyalty bonus, you're referring to the 75k re-qualification level? I assume you're not referring to the 50%/100% bonus points after reaching Gold/EP, since AC's bonuses are actually more generous (10000 bonus points for every 10000 miles you fly after 40000 -- and that's the bonus I've given up by switching to CP now).

I'm surprised at AC's generosity with class-of-service Q-miles on upgrades (I'm surprised they give them on half-mileage fares, less so that they give them on full-mileage fares), and I'm surprised at CP's lack of generosity on fares already earning full points in the back.

BTW, does CP give full or half points on B class within Canada?

Thanks again for your comments!
andrew
Old Jul 19, 1999, 1:17 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I can confirm Kens comments about lounge access for Families, on my last flight over to England (where I am now), I had 2 of my children plus one of their friends. I asked at both the Winnipeg and Toronto Lounges if it was ok to bring in the children and the answer at both was, "fine, but if we get very busy we may have to ask the children to leave". Thats seems fair to me.

Stewart
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
CP gives full points on Y and B fares within Canada.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:48 pm
ALW
Original Poster

Thanks for that, I often travel on B, which on AC would earn me 1/2 points in Canada. Of course on AC, most of the trip is YYZ-LAX.

andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.