Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Canadian Airlines Plus
Reload this Page >

Amex MR points discounts are re-usable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 1999, 6:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Canadian Airlines and Amex now have a deal where if you transfer at least 5000 Amex MR points to your CP account, you will receive a discount on the number of points required for CP award tickets. You have three weeks from the time of the transfer to make an award booking with CP. Doing this can reduce the number of points required for an award by up to 10000 points.

I had always presumed that if I wanted to book more than 1 ticket, that I would have to transfer 5000 MR points for each ticket. But when I called today to book three tickets, I was told that once you make the transfer, you have three weeks to book as many discounted award tickets as you like. As well, they will even process the discounted awards before the Amex MR points arrive in your CP account, calling it a courtesy hold.

A very classy benefit.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 6, 1999, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I haven't been paying attention much since I don't have AMEX (although they keep trying to push the card at me). Anyway of transferring the reverse way (i.e. CP to AMEX)?
Old Jul 6, 1999, 11:23 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Not at all, you get 1000 points per ticket on top of 1 pt per $1.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jul 7, 1999, 1:07 am
Original Member
Original Poster

BB:
Not really, unless you buy lots of really expensive CP tickets, and charge them to your Amex card. http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Empress:
You mean 1.5 points per $, don't you? http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 7, 1999, 7:47 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks Ken Hamer - a great deal to know of, especially with Air Canada threatening to strike again tomorrow!
Old Jul 7, 1999, 8:27 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow

h.c:

I thought the Royal Bank Visa offer expired in April. Has it been extended?

And I was just showing off about the 1.5 points.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Jul 7, 1999, 8:33 am

Deal also applies to Royal Bank of Canada Canadian Plus Visa cardholders. The slight difference is that there are not many/any discounts on business class reward tickets.

KenHamer: Only if you pay the extra $50 on the Gold Amex, or the $300 for the Platinum Amex do you get the 1.5x reward
Old Jul 7, 1999, 9:54 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

I do mean 1.5 points..I have the Platinum Card thanks to my company...I still have the 2 for 1 ticket to use this year.
For now, it doesn't look like AC is going on strike.

Regards,
Empress
Old Jul 8, 1999, 11:04 am

KenHamer: You could be right, I couldn't find any references on the RBC Visa offer. In the same token, I couldn't find the Amex offer either on the CPlus site...

What I was pointing out about the 1.5x is that it is not readily available to most people. Most people carry Amex Corporate Green, and pay the extra $ themselves for the Membership Rewards. The 1.5x is only available for Gold at a premium, and Platinum.

A slight advantage of RBC Visa is that it gives you 2500 CPlus points per year, and another 1500 CPlus points for your first CP flight. It is worth considering for those who are concerned that Amex isn't as widely accepted as Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.