CBSA Immigration & Passport Stamp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum

As an American, I always find entering Canada to be somewhat frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the fact that they are actually enforcing their immigration laws, but am wondering why I always seem to get sent to Immigration. I've gone through customs in Germany and Denmark for meetings with work and didn't even get a second look. Yet Canada, out of the five times I've been, only one was a work trip, and I never got questioned for that one. Three of the times I've entered for a weekend trip I always wind up getting questioned (those three times be in Calgary, one unquestioned entry in Calgary, and the work trip to Toronto).

The first time I ever went to Canada with my passport (had been in Ontario by car when I was 15 with no identification whatsoever) I was sent to Immigration. I was grilled on why I was there, who I was seeing, and asked the same questions a couple of times, presumably to make sure I wasn't making it all up.

The last time was even more perplexing. I was originally planned to enter Canada on a Friday night, but due to UAL and some weather problems that changed to Saturday morning. My purpose was to attend a friend's birthday party and then I was returning Sunday afternoon. I was only going to be Canada a grand total of about 27 hours. I was quizzed pretty heavily on who I was visiting, where they lived, how I knew them, when I was going back, etc. The CBSA officer went so far as to actually call United to find out when I was returning. He even asked me about how I paid for my ticket (with miles) and this was verified by UAL.

I was allowed to enter and stamped with a different stamp that has a six month expiration. I was told by someone else that this stamp means that I can come and go to the US and Canada with limited questioning as this is a visitor visa. Is that correct? If I plan another weekend trip will they see that and not worry about my entry, especially considering the fact that I have left every time I came in.

Also, what kind of information are they entering into that computer when you talk to them? Any ideas? Any ideas on what I can say/do that might not make me such a conspicuous character? I love Canada, and hope to one day transfer/move there, but as I've said there's a legal way to do that and that's the way I plan to do it.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:06 pm
B1

One possibility is that someone with the same name is on their watch list and they want to make a careful identification - or you are on the watch list - either from Canada or the US.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by airshane
I was allowed to enter and stamped with a different stamp that has a six month expiration. I was told by someone else that this stamp means that I can come and go to the US and Canada with limited questioning as this is a visitor visa. Is that correct?
Are you referring to a blue/red "Immigration Canada" stamp with the date stamped in the middle and a handwritten six-month expiry date below? If so, this is not a visa. It has the same effect as the "Customs" stamp; it just looks different. When you are allowed entry to Canada you are permitted to stay for six months, unless otherwise noted.

Originally Posted by airshane
Any ideas on what I can say/do that might not make me such a conspicuous character?
Not really, sorry. My best advice is to just be honest and forthright. People here will sometimes recommend that you bend the truth, but the last thing you would want to do is get caught up in a lie.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
I've always been truthful with them, so who knows.

The one time I went through YYC without issue I told them that I was just going to Banff for a few days. Anytime I mention the fact that I know someone and am staying with them then they get twitchy. Almost as if they are thinking, "Why would a Canadian have anything to do with a filthy American?"

As far as the watch list, I'd not be surprised if I was more closely scrutinized by US Customs as I've made it clear to most people that I have no love for our commander and thief, but as far as I know, disagreement is still allowed.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: ex AC SE100K now 75k :-( / Bonvoy Titanium / All Accor Gold/ Avis Presidents Club / National EE
its canada customs... need we say more?

The CBSA is one of the most aggrevating government agencies to deal with. On my last trip back I was questioned no less than 3 times after my arrival. And now they are grilling people on the way out of the country as well. Even the CBP in the US are complaining about the road wait times into canada.

For your specific situation. If you are constantly getting sent for secondary inspection I would ask them why... but as stated before it could be attributed that your name crosses with someone on their watch list...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:31 pm

I've noticed that if I'm arriving on 1 airline and leaving on another I get sent to secondary questioning.

If I arrive and depart on the same airline I am usually OK.

Also...if I have every paper I can think of from hotel confirmation, rental car confirmation, agenda, contract, I'm OK. If I forget to print 1 thing I get sent to secondary. It's like they're psychic.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA
I usually don't get questioned more than "how long were you out" (all my entries have been at YOW) and "did you buy anything new". They always accept my answers, sometimes even smile, however, without fail I end up in customs (ALWAYS get sent to customs). This is on a Canadian passport, with several U.S. entry stamps just to ADD to the sense of overall trustworthiness (everybody knows THEY are extremely thorough). When I entered 5 days ago, I was asked how long I was out, who I was with, why I was there, and if I bought anything new. I answered truthfully, and said "no, really, I didn't buy anything new" (I DIDNT). He then proceeded to ask what my parents do. Question: what do my parent's profession have to do with me or with my overall admissibility to a country? I am sure I was destined to Customs...I guess I can understand why he was incredulous, I had been in the US for two months and not bought anything. Ultimately, my bag was lost in the complex underground bag monster at DEN and I was allowed to exit without the routine visit to customs.

My personal theory is that once, just once, I was 18, and I looked old enough to buy a bottle of alcohol at duty free in ORD, did so, and I stupidly declared it at YOW, where they proceeded to yank it from my backpack and warn me about the effects of underage drinking.

All I am saying is that buddy, seriously, you are not alone. They harass you no matter what passport you hold (even if you're a citizen). I can only imagine what they do to people holding passports from third world countries.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:47 pm

Your past haunting you

Remember Canada and USA share all your information
so if you have criminal charges in the past, they are recorded and CBSA officers can send you home. I have seen alot of Americans got denied at the airport. YYZ usualy pretty busy , so sometimes they dont have time to check your record but quieter airport...they have a lot of time to track your record.
and they keep the record on the your file. so if you were at the secondarym more than likely they will put you to secondary again . sucks I know
and they are trained to do that so they can make mistake. good luck by entering canada
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
How to get through quicker? Get NEXUS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.