YVR: check-in, go away, come back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR: check-in, go away, come back?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Question YVR: check-in, go away, come back?

Does anyone know...

If I have a meeting at the Fairmont YVR airport, is it possible to check-in during a break (for a trans-border flight), say 3.5 hours before my flight, get a BP and the tags for a checked bag, go back to the meeting (with the bag of course), and then come back 2 hours later and go through US immigration, checked bag drop, security, etc.? Or once you check in, do they keep you from walking away, and make you continue along in the trans-border departure process?

Related question -- what are lines usually like these days for check-in at Air Canada trans-border on a Tuesday around 5pm and earlier in the afternoon, for a *G if there's a separate line?

Thanks in advance for anything you know!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
In YOW, you cannot have a bag tagged unless you proceed through to security and US pre-clearance. I tried to go for a coffee after checking in for a US Air flight and c/i agent said she would hold onto the baggage tag for me.

Why not simply do OLCI and drop your bag when it's time to board? Afternoons are usually less busy for transborder security and pre-clearance.
--
13F
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You're supposed to proceed through U.S. preclearance after checking in but there's nothing stopping you form pretending to go there. Just go behind the counters and pop out somewhere else.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Why not simply do OLCI and drop your bag when it's time to board? Afternoons are usually less busy for transborder security and pre-clearance.
--
13F
If there's a separate line for bag drop that's faster, I'll do that. My only transborder experience is YUL with UA, and there's no separate line there, so no point.

Complicating matters is that I'm doing an AC to F9 connection, not sure what that means for checking bag anyway, but I have a bad track record getting OLCI to work in unusual situations like that, usually get something like "I'm sorry, please check-in with an agent at the airport."
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the previous responses. I reengineered my packing so I can go all carry-on, so it will be easy to check-in at a kiosk in advance and quietly walk away, at least from what I observed today.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
YVR Cockroach's advice should work well if you do have a checked bag.

Your re-packing to carry-on is best option of all though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.