Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Tickets!

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Tickets!

Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by annerj
If you want to pay more $ I'll guarentee there will be scalped tickets for all events. The lottery is the only fair system IMO.
I don't 'want to pay more' - In fact my wife and I are contemplating going on holiday to Cuba and renting out our house while we are gone.

However, there is much complaining in the city about the inherent randomness of the lottery. An auction would have ensured people who wanted tickets could get them.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by gglave
Iinherent randomness of the lottery.
Ding Ding Ding.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:44 pm

I don't 'want to pay more' - In fact my wife and I are contemplating going on holiday to Cuba and renting out our house while we are gone.

However, there is much complaining in the city about the inherent randomness of the lottery. An auction would have ensured people who wanted tickets could get them.
The displeasure is across the country. The lottery was not a public event. The exact no. of tickets available for the lottery was also not disclosed. It's a scam.

Some tickets are already available for re-sale at eBay.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
TThe lottery was not a public event.
What do you mean it was not a public event... ? It was all done by computer. You wanted them to wheel out the servers? How would you run a public lottery of tens-of-thousands of tickets?

Some tickets are already available for re-sale at eBay.
Yes - These are people who won the lottery and now are reselling their tickets.

This is why I feel it should have been an auction, not a lottery.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:03 pm

What do you mean it was not a public event... ? It was all done by computer. You wanted them to wheel out the servers? How would you run a public lottery of tens-of-thousands of tickets?
I'd feel much better if the entire process was under the auspice of a public accounting firm.

Who audited the programme software used for the lottery?

The computer programme is only as good as how it is written.

For such controversial matter with guaranteed disappointment for many, such assurance is critical. Don't just say, trust me, it was fair. It is not adequate.

May be no accounting firm was willing to sign off as to the fairness of the lottery progross because it's a scam!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:22 pm

it's a scam!
How can it be a 'scam' when tens-of-thousands of people 'won' the right to buy tickets?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:41 pm

How can it be a 'scam' when tens-of-thousands of people 'won' the right to buy tickets?
You don't know "how" they "won", do you?

The process was not under the auspice of a credible independent third party, such as a public accounting/auditing firm. Do they have something to hide?

BTW where did you get the tens-of-thousands figure from?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
What is the status for US residents. I am looking for any tickets (except a package) during the first 5-6 days. I have put my name in for Phase II. How were you able to get hotel rooms - I seem to be getting the run around

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:35 pm

BTW where did you get the tens-of-thousands figure from?
Well, there's 1.6 million total games tickets. Not unreasonable to think tens of thousands of people got tickets. I can't remember where I heard the figure, presumably one of the newscasts.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Clipper is the same winey person that complains they dont get tickets when the concert sells out too fast. Too bad soo sad, such is life. Supply and Demand. Such is life.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Clipper is the same winey person that complains they dont get tickets when the concert sells out too fast. Too bad soo sad, such is life. Supply and Demand. Such is life.
Yup, such is life for those who cannot afford to buy and were jealous at those who can afford to buy. Sour grapes.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 30, 2009 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:45 am

Well, there's 1.6 million total games tickets. Not unreasonable to think tens of thousands of people got tickets. I can't remember where I heard the figure, presumably one of the newscasts.
I don't think that actual no. (or % of total) of tickets released for the lottery was made public, and the no. of tickets released for the so-called priority access period was also not publicized. For that matter, the allotment is very secretive and the lottery was a close door event and not subject to independent oversight.

When we don't know how many tickets were actually released, "tens of thousands" is simply a convenient figure that you desired to pick from the sky. However, if you have actual validated figures, please share and quote your source. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 30, 2009 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:42 am

When we don't know how many tickets were actually released, "tens of thousands" is simply a convenient figure that you desired to pick from the sky. However, if you have actual validated figures, please share and quote your source. Thank you in advance.
Shrug.

Sounds like you have a bit of a confrontational chip on your shoulder about something - I'm sure if I spent 20 minutes googling I could come with an approximate number, but it also sounds like you wouldn't believe any search results that were provided.

I do know that there is something like a million-and-a-half tickets out there, and it seems inconceivable to me that VANOC would hold back over a million tickets...
Old May 11, 2009, 7:32 am

Just an undate for those who are still interested to attend the 2010 Winter Olympic and do not want to play the scam game on June 6, 2009, plenty of tickets are available bundled as different packages at this authorised agent's web site:

http://www.cosport.com/

For example, 5 nights at the Marriott Pinnacle Package B Cycle 1 is selling for US$6,848 per person, double occupancy including admissions to the following events:

Feb. 11
Arrival Day

Feb. 12
18:00 Opening Ceremony (Cat. B)

Feb. 13
12:00 Speed Skating (M 5,000m Individual Final)

17:00 Ice Hockey (W Prelim)

Feb. 14
10:00 Alpine Skiing (W Super Combined Qualification/Final)

13:00 Luge (M Singles Runs 3&4 Final)

Feb. 15
10:30 Snowboard (M Cross Qualification / Final)

19:00 Vancouver Victory Ceremony

Many other packages are available.

Now we know where those tickets have gone @:-).
Old May 11, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Wow. Legal extortion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.