Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is Richmond Oval located?

Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:16 am
Original Poster

I have "googled" and searched around various sites but none offer an address or even the nearest major intersection of the Richmond Oval (currently under constrcution) where some of the 2010 Olympic competitions will be held. Any one able to help? May be also the closest hotel(s)? Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
At the parking lot corner of River Road and Hollybridge Way.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...21694&t=h&z=16

Nearest hotels/motels would be the Marriott and Hilton on/off Westminster Highway (2-3 km east). Some other hotels on Bridgeport Road (Hampton Inn, Days Inn, HI Express, BW), off No. 3 Road, Cambie (Radisson), Alderbridge Way (Sheraton 4 Points) among others. Also the Delta River Inn on Sea island.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
In other words, the middle of nowhere.

Parking is going to be a BIG problem.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
In other words, the middle of nowhere.

Certainly sounds like it. After more searching over the Internet, I finally located the address for the Richmond Oval:

6900 River Road, Richmond, BC V6X 1X5.

(Source: http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/5060.htm)

And for those interested, here are two URLs with a lot of information EXCEPT for the exact location and address:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/Wint...Competition/RO

http://www.richmond.ca/discover/events/oval/oval.htm

Hopefully branded hotels will have some rooms available for point redemption and Aeroplan will not be ransoming 100,000 pts. per night!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:00 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Braindrain
None of the 'new' olympic venues have parking. I live near the curling venue and it's the same story. Everyone is expected to take public transit or the available shuttles, i.e. there will be a shuttle from the Canada Line train.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by gglave
None of the 'new' olympic venues have parking. I live near the curling venue and it's the same story. Everyone is expected to take public transit or the available shuttles, i.e. there will be a shuttle from the Canada Line train.
Public transit during February?
Are they thinking clearly? It will probably be raining, cold and miserable weather and they want people to use public transit from Chilliwack? Abbotsford? Langley?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Are they thinking clearly? It will probably be raining, cold and miserable weather and they want people to use public transit from Chilliwack? Abbotsford? Langley?
Details, details.....

Brought to you by the people who want the populace to kep off the roads and shut down schools/business for the 2 week 5 ring circus (tm).
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I think the general idea is they want people to drive to a Park 'n' Ride (i.e. Scott Road Station) and then take the Skytrain, then there will be shuttles from the nearest skytrain station to the venues. Don't know if it will work, but that's the plan.

I know thousands of people take transit to Canucks games from the burbs. It seems to work.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave

I know thousands of people take transit to Canucks games from the burbs. It seems to work.
Stadium and station are pretty much adjacent, unlike other venues.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Stadium and station are pretty much adjacent, unlike other venues.
I believe in the case of the Richmond oval you take the Canada Line to the Lansdowne or Sea Island stations and then get on a waiting shuttle to the facility. No standing in the rain.

In the case of the curling venue it's the same arrangement, except you get off at the King Edward station and walk a few blocks, or get on a shuttle.

The jury is still out as to how it will all work, however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.