Search

Bouchon Bistro, Kelowna

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bouchon Bistro, Kelowna

This restaurant has received accolades from various sources and is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the Okanagan. My partner and I went there on Good Friday. The service was very good. However, our consensus about the food is that while it is nicely presented, the flavours are not particularly full and strong, particularly when we compared it to memories of our meals in France. It's as if the food flavouring and seasoning have all been toned down perhaps to reflect the meat 'n potato fare that the majority of locals may prefer (and before anyone says anything, my partner grew up in the Okanagan and her parents have been there for 41 years).

FWIW, she had the Baked prawn strudels on a cream lobster coulis to start and Milk fed veal tenderloin and prawns with lobster coulis for a main (the coulis were different at least in colour and had a good if somewhat mild lobster flavour). I had a ravioli to start and a duck breast in kumquat reduction to follow. Even the cheese plate that came with my Table d'hote had a strong smell but weak flavour. The ingredients were all very good and fresh, but just not strongly flavoured. The fries served with all meals are just friend in canola oil and not goose fat (maybe expecting a bit much here).

http://www.bouchonsbistro.com/
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Fresco on Water Street is my favourite Kelowna eatery. I have not tried Bouchon.

You opened the door with your comment about "local" taste, I will expand a little. I find that many fine restaurants are too timid with flavour and taste. The Okanagan, particularly Kelowna, has a very different demographic now when compared to that of even five years ago. I believe their is a market for what you are seeking, someone needs to be bold enough to carry it through.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not too sure the Okanagan is that ready for avant garde food (for them at any rate). About 3-4 years ago, we went to the Vanilla Pod in Summerland shortly after it opened. The chef/owner was from one of the better Vancouver restaurants and the menu was exciting and so was the food flavour wise. We went back a few months (or a year) later and found the food and menu had been toned down to local preferences. Looking at some website, I also found that he was selling the restaurant. Haven't been back under the new ownership but I wonder if the food is as exciting at the menu promises.

Those who want spicy food just go to the Asian resturants of their particular hankering. I still maintain that given some 1/6th of Okanagans are Germanic (describes my partner and her family), blandness is preferred in food flavouring. The winery restaurants (namely Quails Gate) or the one at that new Westbank resort (her parents sold the old resort that was there) actually aren't too bad but it's difficult to find flavourful foods otherwise.

http://www.thevanillapod.ca
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
namely Quails Gate) or the one at that new Westbank resort (her parents sold the old resort that was there) actually aren't too bad
latter being bonfire @ cove, or?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, it is Bonfire at the Cove. There was a resort there called the Scottish Cove prior to 1970 when her parents purchased it and renamed it Lakeshore Villa & Resort. Was purchased speculatively in 1998 and I think construction of the Cove finally went ahead in 2004/5.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks! seems well regarded.

will definitely do quails gate for view, might do bonfire too.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did dine at Cabana Grille on Lakeshore a couple of times (lunch) and the food did seem somewhat adventurous though the headline chef has reportedly since moved on. Might be worth a try.

There's a restaurant at the Laughing Moon on Lakeshore (well on the way to Summerhill/St. Hubertus/Cedar Creek) that tries to be adventurous but the location seems to be bad and restaurants seem to open and close all the time. Not sure what is there now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.