Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competition for YVR and YXX: Bellingham's back

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Canada customs per person limits on eggs are 2 dozen, dairy products CAD 20, 20 lb of turkey (or all poultry).
That would explain the abundance of turkey smugglers along the border.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: AP, AM
$10 US Flights to Ohio

For those YVR people clamouring to go to Columbus

From travelzoo.com :

"Skybus Airlines, a new low-fare airline flying out of Columbus, Ohio, just launched with US$10 fares to each of their 8 cities. You'll pay less to fly roundtrip than you will in taxes.

US$10 -- Bellingham (Vancouver/Seattle) to Columbus

Flights from Bellingham start May 29, but you need to book now to capture these amazing fares. Every flight went on sale with at least 10 seats at US$10, but the low fares are selling out quickly on some routes, especially over the summer months."
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
QX flying larger DH-8s into BLI

There is a thread in the AS forum that QX will convert SEA-BLI service from 7x DH8-200 daily to 6x DH8-400 daily which would almost double seats?

Supposedly the tradeoff will be lower fares for slightly-reduced frequency.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by obsyow
For those YVR people clamouring to go to Columbus
"Skybus Airlines, a new low-fare airline flying out of Columbus, Ohio, just launched with US$10 fares to each of their 8 cities. You'll pay less to fly roundtrip than you will in taxes.
Oddly, my boss is at our office in Columbus right now. It's a route that will be very handy for us. Fares (after the 1st couple of days) are $50-$100 ea way

http://www.skybus.com/ Looks like daily service

As with Allegiant, it's named to attract Vancouver travellers. Allegiant call it the Vancouver/Bellingham airport, for SkyBus it's listed as Seattle/Vancouver (Bellingham)

There is a thread in the AS forum that QX will convert SEA-BLI service from 7x DH8-200 daily to 6x DH8-400 daily which would almost double seats?
Supposedly the tradeoff will be lower fares for slightly-reduced frequency.
This is probably has something to do with the fact that they've announced they've expanded their order to Bombardier for more Q400s, and are going to retire the Q200s out of their fleet in the not too distant future.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:44 am

Programs: AC E50K
There is substantial saving if one is traveling to smaller towns in US from BLI than YVR even on AS/QX. I am going to BZN in 2 weeks YVR/SEA/BZN fare on AS/QX is about CAD$200 rtn more than BLI/SEA/BZN. Similar saving per person May 2006 my family of 4 flew to Yellowstone Park.

FYI it took me 5.5 hours wait to cross the land border southbound on Good Friday and only 5 minutes northbound on Easter Monday night.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:50 am

BLI -> New Westminster

1h5m

it's about 25m from YVR, but add in the 15 min you need to take the shuttle to get to your car in the long term lot in YVR, and it adds 25m to your flight.

BLI-LAS return: US$140
YVR-LAS return: C$340
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Spot planes

FYI it took me 5.5 hours wait to cross the land border southbound on Good Friday and only 5 minutes northbound on Easter Monday night.
Yikes, that's a long time to be waiting at the border, especially if you have a flight to catch.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Yikes, that's a long time to be waiting at the border, especially if you have a flight to catch.
Nexus ground is your friend (assuming you can get to the Nexus lane)
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:50 pm

We regularily fly AS throughout the West Coast (LAX/SAN/LAS/SMF, etc) and have sarted flying out of BLI and returning to YVR.

We take the Quick Shuttle (www.quickcoach.com) down to BLI. It's pretty good service and only $22.80 (US) per person.

Last edited by todd-r; Jun 15, 2007 at 3:53 pm
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Slightly off topic, does anybody find it funny that when you search for flights out of YVR on ac.com it says on the top:

Did you know? Air Canada also flies to Abbotsford, British Columbia - only 74 km from Vancouver.

Yet you can't search for flights out of YXX as they stopped flying there last month.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by guessaaa
Did you know? Air Canada also flies to Abbotsford, British Columbia - only 74 km from Vancouver.

Yet you can't search for flights out of YXX as they stopped flying there last month.
Wonder if that notice actually drives anyone to look for YXX flights on some other travel site and end up booking with Westjet. An unintentional plan for driving customers to the competition.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todd-r
We regularily fly AS throughout the West Coast (LAX/SAN/LAS/SMF, etc) and have sarted flying out of BLI and returning to YVR.
Have you found ex-BLI fares that reasonable vs. ex-YVR fares? The last few times I've checked over the years, ex-BLI was often more than ex-YVR despite the Cdn. taxes/fees and U.S. entry fees. We just haven't found ex-BLI to be reasonable enough vs. ex-YVR (or especially ex-SEA) for west coast/U.S. transcontinental flights. Last-minute ex-BLI fares can be substantially cheaper on NW (codeshare BLI-SEA) than ex-YVR though both are still high.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Have you found ex-BLI fares that reasonable vs. ex-YVR fares?
Yup... that's why I mentioned it!

For example, just priced out to VAN to LAS Oct 28-Nov7

YVR/LAS/YVR - 471.54 per person (X2 = 943.08)
BLI/LAS/BLI - 259.10 per person (X2 = 518.20)
BLI/LAS/YVR - 325.00 per person (X2 = 650.00)

We like to come back from Vegas on an afternoon flight so will choose to return to Vancouver. In the scenario above, the diff would be:

943.08-650.00 = 293.08
less shuttle cost (2 @ 22.80)
= 247.48 savings

If you decide to drive yourself to BLI, in this scenario you'd save:
943.08-518.20 = 424.88

That's quite the chunk of change and worth it in my books (and for my parents, too, who are now retired and have *nothing* but time on their hands!).

Note: if you want to save a bit more on the Van/BLI transfer with Quick Shuttle, there is a 2-for-1 coupon in the Entertainment book!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:52 pm

I also just spot checked VAN to MIA and found similar results:

YVR/MIA/YVR - 694.42 (X2 = 1388.84)
BLI/MIA/BLI - 459.60 (X2 = 919.20)
BLI/MIA/YVR - 523.80 (X2 = 1047.60)

Savings:

Drive to BLI and fly r/t from there: 469.64

Take the shuttle to BLI (@ 22.80 per person) and return to YVR: 295.64
Old Jun 15, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Last month I flew out of BLI and as I was walking to the terminal I tried to determine the percentage of Canadian cars in the parking lot. I estimated that about 60% of the cars were Canadian (sample size of two rows) including a couple from Alberta.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but one of the advantages of flying from BLI is the parking. It is only $30 US$ per week and even in the farthest spot you are no more than a 60 seconds walk to the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.