Reload this Page >

Driving from Burlington to Montreal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving from Burlington to Montreal?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have taken this drive many times; I'd do it again in a heartbeat. As someone else pointed out, make sure you have all the required insurance. If you're not going to buy insurance, just call your own carrier so that you are covered for your trip to Canada. It's easy.
Agreed....just as a precaution. You used to be able to just ask your agent to send you an "inter province proof of insurance card". I'm not sure if they still have that.

While making sure your coverage is in force in Canada is always a good idea, as a practical matter, just about all major U.S. auto policies are valid for driving in Canada. Also as a practical matter, I've been pulled over two or three times in Canada (over the past 25 years), and have never been asked for proof of insurance coverage. That said, I sure wouldn't want to be involved in even a fender-bender and not be 100% sure of having coverage.

As for the drive from BVT to Montreal, its an easy and unspectacular two hours or perhaps even less if you're lucky.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Does anyone have an update as to how this drive is these days since the increased border security, passport checking, etc?

I have to go to Montreal and the fare difference between SAN-YUL and SAN-BTV is over $350. ($730 to YUL and $360 to BTV)

Thanks!!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Does anyone have an update as to how this drive is these days since the increased border security, passport checking, etc?

I have to go to Montreal and the fare difference between SAN-YUL and SAN-BTV is over $350. ($730 to YUL and $360 to BTV)

Thanks!!
Should not be much different from how it was in years past. Just make sure you bring along proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate and photo id) and you shouldn't have any problems entering either Canada or the US.

Cheers!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ls17031
Should not be much different from how it was in years past. Just make sure you bring along proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate and photo id) and you shouldn't have any problems entering either Canada or the US.

Cheers!
I thought that as of Feb 2007, passports were required to come and go either sides of the border, even by car...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by malap
I thought that as of Feb 2007, passports were required to come and go either sides of the border, even by car...
Well, apparently you don't...

Here's what I got from the Canadian Border Agency:
When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, when necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by ls17031

Cheers!
Thanks for the help. I don't mind bringing my passport with me, my concern is the time it takes to rent a car and drive from Burlington to Montreal and back. I figure it will be easy to get to Montreal, but I should expect a long line coming back, right? I will be driving back Labor Day. My goal would be to catch a 2:00pm flight out of Burlington. What time should I leave Montreal?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: AP E,PC Gold,SPGPlus
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Thanks for the help. I don't mind bringing my passport with me, my concern is the time it takes to rent a car and drive from Burlington to Montreal and back. I figure it will be easy to get to Montreal, but I should expect a long line coming back, right? I will be driving back Labor Day. My goal would be to catch a 2:00pm flight out of Burlington. What time should I leave Montreal?
I fly out of BTV on a regular basis (once a month) and the traffic is lighter going into Vermont (versus coming back to Quebec) at the end of most weekends, in my experience. The drive takes about 3 hours from BTV right to my house (North-Central Montreal). You should allow a little extra as the border crossing can be long on Labor Day.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
great thread, I plan on doing this in August. Much cheaper for me to fly jetblue to BTV from MCO.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:34 am

I am interested in the backroads route from Burlington to Quebec with the easier border crossing. We are a group of French students and chaperones from Nebraska and will be in three mini-vans rented in Burlington. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by gmbackes
I am interested in the backroads route from Burlington to Quebec with the easier border crossing. We are a group of French students and chaperones from Nebraska and will be in three mini-vans rented in Burlington. Thanks!
Take highway 78 west when you get to Swanton off I-89 (very near to the Canadian border) and then turn right when it intersects with highway 2 (at the gas station). There are three or four turnoffs within the next 30 miles that go to Canada - north of Allburgh, Champlain, Rouses Point, etc. They're all two-lane highways with one open window for customs. The lines can be just as long as at Champlain (I-87) or Highgate Springs (I-89) since it is the one line, but I still enjoy them more than the parking lots on I-87 on a bad day.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
This should help you a good bit: http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=44....on%252C%2520vt

Zoom out gradually, you'll see Rte 78 and the border crossings.

HTSC
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:43 pm
B1

Originally Posted by gmbackes
My fave crossing is Cannon Corners NY to Havelock QE west of 87. At Mooers you take a side road to Cannon Corners (look at the map on Google) and then head north to the border where the road becomes QE 403 into Ormstown. You can see a lovely, spare part of Quebec and some chances to practice your French. Guaranteed that there will be no traffic. Just cows and apples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.