Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying/importing a car from the US into Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:21 am
B1

Thumbs down Lock this thread!

This thread should be dead. Go to www.carswithoutborders.com or redflagdeals.com or Edmunds talk boards where there is current information and thousands(!) of posts.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:59 pm

I haven't done it YET, I'll probably be getting new (used) wheels in the next few weeks.

There are much better sources for information than this site and I would cruise the recommended sites. The one thing that I would add is make sure and check if Ford will honour the warrantee in Canada. Plus, especially in close states like WA the dealers may not be willing/able to sell to you. When we were in WA a few weeks ago we popped into some dealers and some (not all) claimed that the manufacturer didn't really want them selling to Canadians.

Good Luck! I'm currently driving a 2001 Escape and its been a great little SUV! Hope you like yours!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Has anyone run into problems servicing a US bought car at your local Canadian dealer? After losing so many sales to US dealers and pricing, a large number of dealers and even manufacturers are stating that Canadians who buy cars in the US will not be able to get them serviced at Canadian dealerships. Toyota was the only exception which stated their policy was to require dealers in either country to service cars regardless of origin.

My parents are making this into a huge issue, and it was the basis for deciding to purchase their ES350 in Toronto instead of Florida, and now we're having the same argument about a Chrysler 300. I'd hate to see them piddle away 15K twice.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:39 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
It's a threat. Some manufacturers are threatening that they won't provide warranty coverage. But let's follow this thought.

When I buy a new vehicle, I will try to choose one whose warranty I won't need to use. The cars are made better now, than ever. And I assume most reliable models don't need warranty work costing anything near the savings had by buying in US and importing.

So even IF they don't provide warranty coverage, the savings outweigh the costs several times over... unless the car is a lemon. Homework then seems to be: Try not to buy a lemon.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:25 pm

Not exactly a piece of cake, but it sounds like you've got the gist of it. I've done this before and would highly recommend working with an experienced shipper. The broker you're working with should be able to help with any of the documentation, explaining the taxes, and any other questions you have. I've used www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-canada.php when I've done this in the past, but it has been a few years. I'd definitely recommend them, even if it's only to get a free cost estimate so you know what to expect. My two cents.

Edited: sorry, didn't catch the date on this initially!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.