Reload this Page >

Drive time from Vancouver to Seattle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drive time from Vancouver to Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:08 pm

I went through the Peace Arch crossing at 10pm. I don't think there was another car crossing when I was there. Instant service. I've gone through other times and it was quicker than I expect. Trouble was I was on the way to Fort Langley, so that crossing took me hugely out of my way. Last crossing I was going from Mission to Bellingham. But since I went to a movie in Surrey before crossing, I ended up on 99 and used the Peace Arch crossing late at night. A very quick trip as I recall.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:41 pm

how often are police actively checking to see if vehicles to whistler have snow tires/chains?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mr_rogers
how often are police actively checking to see if vehicles to whistler have snow tires/chains?
Rarely, although I have seen checks now and again.

The bigger concern is if you're involved in an accident and the police respond. You may be ticketed and/or be considered at fault if you aren't running on snows.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by mr_rogers
The snow tire/chains requirement isn't there just to annoy you. Weather conditions in the mountains are unpredictable and the driving situation can get pretty gnarly very quickly. One person without adequate traction devices can cause a pretty bad pileup. If you're coming from WA state, stop by a Les Schwab tire store (they're everywhere) and buy a set of chains (or 2 sets if you've got a 4-wheel drive car). You can return them if you don't use them. And if you use them, you'll be glad that you had them.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How much time should we allocate to drive from YVR to SEA on the Monday after 4th of July? Concerned about the wait at the Canada->USA border which I understand can be lengthy in the summer. We'd be crossing @ noon.

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Should come as no surprise to anyone but end of a U.S. long weekend will result in heavy southbound traffic. Apparently quite heavy traffic northbound Wednesday (day before U.S. thanksgiving) bound for Whistler so heavy traffic expected southbound on Sunday.

Also, Nexus lane southbound at Peace Arch around noon Saturday 12 November (middle of Rememberance/Veterans Day long weekend) was horrible - line backed up all the way to the CBSA offices/duty free. I think about 20-30 minutes which was as slow as, if not slower than, the regular lanes (keeping track of cars at the end of the regular lines wen we got to the border). Skipped over to regular lanes about 20-30 cars away from the booths.
You obviously have never been to Tijuana - 30 minutes would be a joy! If this is the worst we can expect then I will not stress...
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by Boraxo
How much time should we allocate to drive from YVR to SEA on the Monday after 4th of July? Concerned about the wait at the Canada->USA border which I understand can be lengthy in the summer. We'd be crossing @ noon.

You obviously have never been to Tijuana - 30 minutes would be a joy! If this is the worst we can expect then I will not stress...
It's been a while since I crossed there without Nexus, but I'd say 2 to 2.5 hrs for the regular lines. 20-30 min if and only if you have Nexus.

There's a website where you can see current wait times, which you could check before you leave YVR.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by i59bravo
It's been a while since I crossed there without Nexus, but I'd say 2 to 2.5 hrs for the regular lines. 20-30 min if and only if you have Nexus.

There's a website where you can see current wait times, which you could check before you leave YVR.
I would prefer the Pacific Border Crossing over Peach Arch only because the wait times are generally shorter.

When the lineup is 2 plus hours, I have found the Huntington Crossing to be worth the drive.

Noonish on an American holiday crossing, shouldn't be too bad because it's not a holiday for Canada.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by i59bravo
My family has Global Entry, but I am not sure I want to pay $50x4 to add NEXUS for a one-time border crossing.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Noonish on an American holiday crossing, shouldn't be too bad because it's not a holiday for Canada.
The Celebrity Millennium will have arrived in port the day before, and the Noordam will have arrived that morning.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I would prefer the Pacific Border Crossing over Peach Arch only because the wait times are generally shorter.
You mean Peace Arch
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
My family has Global Entry, but I am not sure I want to pay $50x4 to add NEXUS for a one-time border crossing.
For entry into the US only, Global Entry works just like Nexus. You do need to have your cards with you though, and everyone in the car must qualify, or they get grumpy.

Look it up on the Nexus site or on the web.

This does NOT work for entry into Canada - it's Nexus only.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You mean Peace Arch
LOL - I plead too many mojitos while typing.

Yes, Peace Arch Crossing.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CRAZ8
For entry into the US only, Global Entry works just like Nexus. You do need to have your cards with you though, and everyone in the car must qualify, or they get grumpy.

Look it up on the Nexus site or on the web.

This does NOT work for entry into Canada - it's Nexus only.
i dont think they have GE kiosks at land crossings even on the US side. do they?
Old May 2, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
i dont think they have GE kiosks at land crossings even on the US side. do they?
Yes...they do work BUT you have to have registered the GE cards prior to using them at the border. And they only work CAN=>USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.