Reload this Page >

Drive time from Vancouver to Seattle?

Drive time from Vancouver to Seattle?

Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Shouldn't Be A Problem

Originally Posted by rsjordan7
Thanks for the info on the car.^

Is there anything we need to know about crossing the border in a rental car? I've got a passport and my friend is getting his. We just don't want to be caught off guard when we get up there, because staying in the US isn't as exciting as going to Whistler.
I don't think there is any problem taking a rental car across the border. You should disclose this to your rental car company to make sure that is okay. The thing you should check into is insurance.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
You don't need 4wd to get to Whistler under normal weather conditions. I rent at SEA and drive to Vancouver about 12 - 15 times a year and never have had a problem. Sometimes the border agent, on either side, asks to see the rental agreement.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
You'll be fine renting a regular car. And when you have to cram it into a tiny underground parking lot at Whistler, you'll be glad you don't have a hulking SUV.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:00 am

Driving Seattle to Vancouver in March

Will there be a problem driving from Seattle to Vancouver in March? I'm wondering if snow is on the ground then, or only up the mountain. Is it difficult to park in downtown Vancouver?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There's hardly ever snow on the ground (except, exceptionally, for the past month) let alone the road. Snow in March is possible but very unlikely.

Parking could be a challenge depending on how much you want to pay. There's always the private offstreet lots but these are pricey. Metered street parking is generally restricted to 2 hours or less and can run up to $4/hr (if not more) and is in effect until 8pm daily. There are also rush hour parking restrictions on main thoroughfares so look carefully at the signs.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by texasguy
Will there be a problem driving from Seattle to Vancouver in March? I'm wondering if snow is on the ground then, or only up the mountain.
Snow on the road is very unlikely. If it's raining heavily, the I-5 south of Bellingham can be a little bit hairy, but if you take things slow you'll be fine.

If the weather is nice, a good detour along the way is Chuckanut drive. The views are great:

http://www.chuckanutdrive.com/entrance.html

Originally Posted by texasguy
Is it difficult to park in downtown Vancouver?
No more difficult than any other city, certainly easier than San Francisco or Manhattan. I would just use a pay-lot. You'll pay anything from $15 to $25 per day, depending on where you wind up.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:59 pm

Pardon for resurrecting this old thread but we are thinking of flying into Seattle in mid-Sept and spending a day or two in the city before driving up to Vancouver for our cruise (Millenium Wine Cruise, yipee!!).

Our other option is to drive to LAX (we live in San Diego) and then fly directly to YVR, skipping Seattle entirely this time. Given that I HATE LAX, I am leaning toward flying to Seattle from San Diego and then driving North from there.

Does about 3 hours allow for enough time to drive to YVR? Is it at all scenic? Is the weather still ok in mid-Sept?

Thanks for any and all advice! Katherine
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No more glaciers cutting across the highway so you should be o.k., though watch out for polar bears and penguins crossing the road (being facetious - the weather will either be rain, cloudy or sunshine and mild - weather is generally not a factor for driving except for a few weeks in total every decade).

3hrs driving time outside of rush hour assuming no wait at the border. That time is only good for leaving SEA after 9pm IMO. Only scenery will be Mt Baker on clear day. Not much otherwise.

Bear in mind onstreet meter parking in the City of Vancouver now runs until 10pm (as 8pm before) every day of the week, including holidays, and can be very expensive (I've seen $5/hr and this increased beginning of the year).
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by kath00
Does about 3 hours allow for enough time to drive to YVR? Is it at all scenic? Is the weather still ok in mid-Sept?
Yes, yes, and a definite yes.

If you're driving on a weekday, should be about zero wait at the border.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Does about 3 hours allow for enough time to drive to YVR?
Yes

Is it at all scenic?
Meh - Not really that scenic, although if you take Chuckanut drive...

http://chuckanutdrive.com/

...you'll see some beautiful scenery. Chuckanut will add about a half-hour or so though.

If you don't take Chuckanut it's mostly just freeway cutting across flat farmland.

Is the weather still ok in mid-Sept?
Yes.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:22 pm

what about traffic between seattle and canada border on last week of Feb?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by chee4869
what about traffic between seattle and canada border on last week of Feb?
During the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games? I don't anyone can tell you for certain. Just ask the Blaine, WA Chamber of Commerce. They thought having the Olympics would be a boon to them also, but since the border could take 6 hours to pass each way, no one wants to stay in their hotels.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
During the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games? I don't anyone can tell you for certain. Just ask the Blaine, WA Chamber of Commerce. They thought having the Olympics would be a boon to them also, but since the border could take 6 hours to pass each way, no one wants to stay in their hotels.
Six hours...that I am dreading. Anyone cross the border yet recently? I plan on crossing it on Monday for the Games and plan on sitting for quite some time.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to run down south of the border tomorrow to pick up a few parcels. Will use Nexus but I'll let you know how long the lines are either way.

Reportedly minimal southbound right now.

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

and similarly northbound

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minimal waits (lightest I have seen in a long time) both south and northbound between 1 and 145 today. All inspection lanes northbound open so I guess they're expecting a surge in traffic later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.