Air Canada v Westjet, premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:24 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Air Canada v Westjet, premium cabins

Hello all,

I might have meetings in the GTA (but not Toronto) coming up soon.

Since it’s an international flight and my employer's travel policies allows for premium airfare on international flights, I have to ask: which has a better premium cabin and service for transborder flights: Westjet or Air Canada?
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
why only two options

I don't think WS is really an option. AC has three classes of service, a newer fleet, better lounges and much greater presence (esp. in eastern Canada).
I am intrigued you limited your search for a TB carrier to these two airlines. What about UA? AA?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:54 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I don't think WS is really an option. AC has three classes of service, a newer fleet, better lounges and much greater presence (esp. in eastern Canada).
I am intrigued you limited your search for a TB carrier to these two airlines. What about UA? AA?
Some thoughts.

My main airport is MCO and I've got an 16 month old toddler so I want to avoid connecting flights to maximize my time at home with the kiddo. If I didn't have a kid, I'd probably just fly MCO-MIA-YYZ on AA and call it a day - but my priorities have changed, and I value family time more than anything else. As a result, I will generally schedule meetings/trainings/workshops/collabs until the last possible moment before heading to the airport and flying home in order to get as much work done in the shortest amount of time and maximize my family time afterward.

Since my work trips almost always include an Ontario component, but aren't Canada specific, I'll just cross the border in Windsor and drive to where I need to be. With my goal always being to be back home either Thursday very late in the evening or first thing Friday morning.

With that preface out of the way, WS and AC are the only two carriers that:

A- have nonstop YYZ-MCO flights
B- have a premium cabin on that route
C- have mileage programs that earn with one of my existing accounts (WS ➡️ DL, AC ➡️ UA)
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mkt
Some thoughts.

My main airport is MCO and I've got an 16 month old toddler so I want to avoid connecting flights to maximize my time at home with the kiddo. If I didn't have a kid, I'd probably just fly MCO-MIA-YYZ on AA and call it a day - but my priorities have changed, and I value family time more than anything else. As a result, I will generally schedule meetings/trainings/workshops/collabs until the last possible moment before heading to the airport and flying home in order to get as much work done in the shortest amount of time and maximize my family time afterward.

Since my work trips almost always include an Ontario component, but aren't Canada specific, I'll just cross the border in Windsor and drive to where I need to be. With my goal always being to be back home either Thursday very late in the evening or first thing Friday morning.

With that preface out of the way, WS and AC are the only two carriers that:

A- have nonstop YYZ-MCO flights
B- have a premium cabin on that route
C- have mileage programs that earn with one of my existing accounts (WS ➡️ DL, AC ➡️ UA)
Only AC has a real premium CABIN. WS only have nicer seat with middle empty and f&b service at the front few rows.

I would also clarify in writing from HR that Canada falls under you company's definition of international.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:13 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Only AC has a real premium CABIN. WS only have nicer seat with middle empty and f&b service at the front few rows.
AC wins, perfect.

I would also clarify in writing from HR that Canada falls under you company's definition of international.
Fair. The rule is written as "international" and "domestic over 6 hours", with no clarification as to what international means. I'll speak with my director to be sure, but I don't foresee any issues.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:42 am

Only AC has a real premium CABIN. WS only have nicer seat with middle empty and f&b service at the front few rows..
This has not been correct for a couple of years now, WS premium cabin has full size domestic business seats at the front across the 737 fleet which are in far better shape than what you'll find on a battered AC A321. They were all refreshed during the pandemic.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
You should also factor in that YYZ-MCO is not AIr Canada mainline, but Air Canada Rouge, their discount carrier, with a significant drop in quality in the premium cabin (but the premium cabin does make Rouge flights bearable).
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by allbrosca
You should also factor in that YYZ-MCO is not AIr Canada mainline, but Air Canada Rouge, their discount carrier, with a significant drop in quality in the premium cabin (but the premium cabin does make Rouge flights bearable).
There's no appreciable difference between rouge and mainline in J. The seats are the same. The meals are the same. Mainline has crappy 20-year-old IFE, rouge gives you a free WiFi code. That's about the only difference. @mkt, as someone who flies both frequently, I'd say there's really nothing to distinguish them on this type of route. An AC J ticket would get you access to the AC lounge, whereas WS gives you no lounge access (unless you have PP or some other program), but the AC lounges are generally mediocre and it's probably not worth making this decision based on that.

The one thing that might be worthwhile to consider is it looks like AC has 4 flights every day, whereas WS is 1x most days, 2x sometimes, and once a week 3x. If you might want the ability to SDC or standby to an earlier flight, you might have more options with AC. This would also give you slightly better options in the event of IRROPs.

If you want to go with WS, try to ticket it with DL if you care about the status credit and RDMs. Earning is far better on DL-marketed flights than WS-marketed flights.
allbrosca, mkt and m.y like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.