Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Verified Traveller Program (Beginning June 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
What is the Verified Traveller ("VT") program?
Verified Traveller gives priority security at certain Canadian airport checkpoints. Unlike the old NEXUS lanes (which only got you to the front of the line faster, with the same screening process once there), VT actually offers expedited screening

Verified Traveller is separate from the NEXUS program. Please visit the Trusted Traveler forum for information and discussion on NEXUS.

What is the VT expedited screening experience?
For domestic/international flights:
  • Leave permitted liquids, aerosols and gels in your carry-on
  • Leave laptops and electronics in your carry-on
  • Keep shoes, belts, light jackets and headwear on
  • Keep small items in your pockets

For transborder flights (to the US):
  • Leave permitted liquids, aerosols and gels in your carry-on
  • Keep shoes, belts, light jackets and headwear on
  • Keep small items in your pockets

Who is eligible?
  • NEXUS: holders of NEXUS cards
  • Global Entry: holders of Global Entry cards
  • Canadian / US military: Serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and US military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required)
  • Air crew / RAIC holders: Canadian aircrew (in uniform), airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards and international aircrew (in uniform) with valid airline ID
  • RCMP / police: Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officers, Canadian police officers and constables with a badge and proper photo identification issued by their respective organizations

Do you have to register for this program?
No, everyone who qualifies, per the list above, is automatically eligible.

Do you have to be flying certain airlines to take advantage of this program?
No. As long as your airline is flying from an area that has the VT service, and you're eligible, that's all that matters.

How do you take advantage of VT lanes? Like TSA PreCheck in the US, do you have to provide an ID number in advance?
Eligibility for VT requires you to present the relevant identification at the checkpoint. There's no need to register any information in advance. Conversely, if you don't have your ID on you, you can't use the lanes

Can I bring other people with me who aren't eligible themselves?
  • Domestic / international: only co-travellers aged (a) 17 or under, or (b) aged 75 or over
  • Transborder: yes

Where are the VT checkpoints?
There are dedicated VT lanes at the following checkpoints (last updated July 14, 2023):
Domestic/international checkpoints:
  • YYC C gates
  • YVR C gates
  • YEG
  • YUL
  • YYZ T1 D gates (international flights depart from E, but it's possible to clear security at D and then walk airside to E)
  • YYZ T3 (need clarification on which checkpoints)
  • YWG
  • YOW
  • YHZ (pilot launching August 22)

Transborder checkpoints:
  • YUL
  • YYZ T1
  • YYZ T3
  • YVR

What if the airport/checkpoint I'm flying from isn't listed above?
Many checkpoints offer "front of the line service" - just like the old NEXUS lanes, there's a dedicated lane to get you to the screening faster, but the screening process is the same as in the regular lanes. These are listed below. If your airport isn't listed, there's no Verified Traveller benefit.
  • YYC A and D gates (domestic/international)
  • YYC E gates (transborder)
  • YVR A/B and D gates (domestic/international)
  • YEG (transborder)
  • YHZ (all, until domestic/international pilot starts - see above)
  • YWG (all)
  • YXE (all)
  • YTZ (all)
  • YQM (all)
  • YLW (all)
  • YQB (all)
  • YQR (all)
  • YYT (all)
  • YYJ (all)
Print Wikipost

Verified Traveller Program (Beginning June 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:54 pm

I have an early morning connection tomorrow (Monday, land at 0636) in YUL going DOM-TB. Is it worth going landside to use the VT lane or just going through the TB connections area?

I tried this last month in YYZ but didn't find it worthwhile because the volume at the landside checkpoint meant it took as long or longer than the connections checkpoint anyways.

Anyone gone through both at YUL recently?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:08 am

So I stuck with the connections lane. Next time exit and VT it is. Took about 30 minutes to get through with nexus and that would have been substantially longer if I'd arrived 5 minutes later.

I had to remove my laptop at YYZ transborder VT last month. Is that the same at all transborder VT or is it a YYZ special?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Deathray
So I stuck with the connections lane. Next time exit and VT it is. Took about 30 minutes to get through with nexus and that would have been substantially longer if I'd arrived 5 minutes later.

I had to remove my laptop at YYZ transborder VT last month. Is that the same at all transborder VT or is it a YYZ special?
You need to remove electronic devices on all USA departures because VT passengers are not vetted by the TSA and anyone can enter if they hold TT membership, are traveling with someone who does or just walk into that line while being ignored by incompetent CATSA staff. TSA refused to permit anything beyond “keep shoes on” for screening USA flights.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:02 pm

YVR Domestic - Checkpoint C is still closed, but "Checkpoint 3" on the upper level where you come out of the walkway from the Canada Line seems to be a fully functional VT checkpoint now. Proper VT experience.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 3:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You need to remove electronic devices on all USA departures because VT passengers are not vetted by the TSA and anyone can enter if they hold TT membership, are traveling with someone who does or just walk into that line while being ignored by incompetent CATSA staff. TSA refused to permit anything beyond “keep shoes on” for screening USA flights.
I don't know where you got this information, but it doesn't align with my experiences at YVR, where both electronics and liquids stayed in, or YYZ T1, where liquids stayed in, only electronics out. Definitely "beyond 'keep shoes on'" in both cases.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:06 pm

YYZ T1 Transborder - Punishment for the privilege

Having to walk around the back of T1 pre-clearance zone to get to the Nexus / VT line has always been a bit of a pain. Now the turn right by AC special services is cordoned off and instead people are being sent down the long hallway that runs by the staff checkpoint. Yep, another 200m+ just to avail oneself of the VT privilege.

The 2nd time around I just ignored the barrier and went around the stanchions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.