Wiki Posts
Search

Q: about declarations US > CAN > Paris > CAN > US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Q: about declarations US > CAN > Paris > CAN > US

Okay, shopping in Paris.

American going to Canada for a day, then catching a AirCanada flight to Paris for 10 days, gonna shop for some clothing. Then flying back to Canada... plan to spend 3 days in Canada.

When I land, am I supposed to delcare my stuff at Canada?

After my 3 days stay there... I catch my flight to return home.. USA... do I declare my same stuff again, if I declared them entering Canada from France?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:50 am

Canada only cares about goods staying in Canada. Anything you buy in Paris as a Cdn non-resident are exempt if you are merely in-transit and taking them home to USA with you. You will need to declare to Canada any gifts staying in Canada over $60. You will need to declare everything at USA pre-flight inspection (at YYZ/YUL) when going home.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Canada only cares about goods staying in Canada. Anything you buy in Paris as a Cdn non-resident are exempt if you are merely in-transit and taking them home to USA with you. You will need to declare to Canada any gifts staying in Canada over $60. You will need to declare everything at USA pre-flight inspection (at YYZ/YUL) when going home.
Thankyou. So when I arrive at Canada customs (from Paris) and get asked "where are you from and hat are you declaring"

i can say Im from Paris, or Im from CDG airport, Paris.... and nothing to declare, I would not be dishonest

.if they pull me for inspection still, and see my 3 bottles of French wine (which i have no intend of leaving in canada). They just have to believe my word at that moment.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by abc5
Thankyou. So when I arrive at Canada customs (from Paris) and get asked "where are you from and hat are you declaring"

i can say Im from Paris, or Im from CDG airport, Paris.... and nothing to declare, I would not be dishonest

.if they pull me for inspection still, and see my 3 bottles of French wine (which i have no intend of leaving in canada). They just have to believe my word at that moment.
You need to be honest and say you are in transit for 3 days and leaving nothing in Canada. Typically you are only allowed to import one bottle of alcohol entering Canada so be honest and say you have 3 but they are not being consumed in Canada. Do not lie about anything. Same when entering USA.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

You need to be honest and say you are in transit for 3 days and leaving nothing in Canada. Typically you are only allowed to import one bottle of alcohol entering Canada so be honest and say you have 3 but they are not being consumed in Canada. Do not lie about anything. Same when entering USA.
"in transit for 3 days", good way to put it.

Bit of a weird situation. Eventually when I enter USA and get processed by customs at the Canada airport, what do I declare... 3 bottles of wine... agent will think I am taking them from Canada to USA... though it may not matter to him where I am bringing 3 wines from, all he cares is I am crossing from Canada to USA w/ 3 wines (checked in) do I just pay some fee for the two bottles since my limit from CAD to USA is 1 bottle.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by abc5
"in transit for 3 days", good way to put it.

Bit of a weird situation. Eventually when I enter USA and get processed by customs at the Canada airport, what do I declare... 3 bottles of wine... agent will think I am taking them from Canada to USA... though it may not matter to him where I am bringing 3 wines from, all he cares is I am crossing from Canada to USA w/ 3 wines (checked in) do I just pay some fee for the two bottles since my limit from CAD to USA is 1 bottle.
Be honest. I was in France for x days and Canada for 3 days. I have 3 bottles from France in my checked luggage. I doubt they will care because as soon as you go through US inspection you will enter duty free and can buy as many bottles as you want. But never lie.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:40 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
as soon as you go through US inspection you will enter duty free and can buy as many bottles as you want.
At YUL in the transborder duty free there are big signs stating that whatever you buy in the store will be reported to CBP for duty processing. Not sure how that would work in practice but I assume an agent could come to your departure gate if you go over the allowance.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by airoli
At YUL in the transborder duty free there are big signs stating that whatever you buy in the store will be reported to CBP for duty processing. Not sure how that would work in practice but I assume an agent could come to your departure gate if you go over the allowance.
So just be honest. I have 3 bottles from France and might buy 3-5 bottles at duty free. How do I pay the customs/import fees? They could just waive you through for being honest. This happened to me last time entering Canada with extra booze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.