Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need to declare goods upon arrival and I have a domestic conx

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Need to declare goods upon arrival and I have a domestic conx

Nexus member flying home from the US via YYZ before continuing onward domestically and I need to declare my new shiny new golf clubs.

I believe ArriveCan has a section for declaring goods, and if so, I'll use it, but in general, how long should I expect the process to take until I'm out the door after paying?

My conx time is 2 hours and I'm relatively confident I should be fine, but if it's busy with a lot of people in the queue to pay, that 2 hours could go by really fast. I'm coming into T3, if that matters.

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by BradnerBoy
Nexus member flying home from the US via YYZ before continuing onward domestically and I need to declare my new shiny new golf clubs.

I believe ArriveCan has a section for declaring goods, and if so, I'll use it, but in general, how long should I expect the process to take until I'm out the door after paying?

My conx time is 2 hours and I'm relatively confident I should be fine, but if it's busy with a lot of people in the queue to pay, that 2 hours could go by really fast. I'm coming into T3, if that matters.

Thanks.
What time are you arriving at T3?
There are Intl heavies arrivals in the afternoon from ports of origin of interest to CBSA which could cause a backlog for your plans.
I had declared a set above the $800 free limit and was rewarded with a waive through for my honesty.
YMMV
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: hahaha
The ArriveCAN flow of questions are just to signal to the primary inspection officer what type of declaration you're about to make.

On the app, the questions go like this, for your case:

1) Length of stay abroad
2) Do you exceed your personal exemptions?
2a) If yes, what's the value?
2b) And for alcohol and/or tobacco?

And then question 3 onward is the nature of your goods, and it won't get drilled down as specifically as golf clubs. If you entered monetary value higher than your personal exemption, it won't do anything on the app but it will tell CBSA how you responded. It'll just be printed on your primary inspection receipt or visible on their computer how you answered the above questions so they can ask you the specifics of your declaration if they choose to do so

Note that if you have NEXUS, you won't be able to get here on ArriveCAN as you're meant to do your declarations verbally before a BSO and not through the app (though you can just do ArriveCAN after deleting your NEXUS information on the app...which is even more pointless if you use the NEXUS lane anyway since it's not compatible with ArriveCAN)
BradnerBoy likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
What time are you arriving at T3?
There are Intl heavies arrivals in the afternoon from ports of origin of interest to CBSA which could cause a backlog for your plans.
I had declared a set above the $800 free limit and was rewarded with a waive through for my honesty.
YMMV
Thank you.

My scheduled arrival is 5pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asovse1
Note that if you have NEXUS, you won't be able to get here on ArriveCAN as you're meant to do your declarations verbally before a BSO and not through the app (though you can just do ArriveCAN after deleting your NEXUS information on the app...which is even more pointless if you use the NEXUS lane anyway since it's not compatible with ArriveCAN)
Thank you. You answered a secondary question. I assumed this was the case post-Covid's non-mandatory use of ArriveCAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.