Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR US to International connection times

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2023, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

YVR US to International connection times

Hi, I'll be flying in from the US and connecting through YVR to my international destination, and my only prior experience doing this was back in late 2021 when a lot of covid restrictions were still in place and air travel was still limited. I recall the transit process being incredibly quick since our plane was the one that had landed at that time I think (it was an early morning flight which probably helped too). I walked a bit after deplaning to get to a kiosk, entered some personal info (I had to sign up for a visa-like thing even though I was only connecting), get a receipt printed and checked by an agent and an elevator ride brought me to the international terminal. I remember the area with the kiosks wasn't very large so it seemed like they weren't even anticipating having that many people there at once, so I don't know if that area was set up temporarily during the pandemic.

I imagine it's a lot different now with more flights and travelers but even so, I was surprised that Air Canada's website put the minimum connection time for US-YVR-International at 1 hour. I was hoping to see what everyone's recent experience has been like doing this connection since maybe my previous experience during the pandemic was wildly different from what it is currently. I'm booked on business so I'll be among the first to deplane and it'll be another morning flight so I'm hoping that helps speed things up but if long lines and delays. I have a 2 hour layover but I also wanted to make sure I had enough time to get some food at the lounge so I'm wondering now if I should try to modify my reservation to add some extra time for possible delays.

Edit: one thing that adds to my confusion is Air Canada giving conflicting info on whether my connection would require clearing Canadian customs. I would assume not since I'm not exiting the airport to "officially" enter Canada, but this page says customs clearance will be required: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/.../us-int.html#/. On the other hand, using the "What to expect when you connect" tool on this page and selecting "US Departure" and "International Arrival" in the dropdowns says that "When connecting in Toronto or Vancouver, you do not need to clear Canada Customs. When connecting in Montreal, you must clear Canada Customs. ":https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...with-us.html#/

Last edited by triponespan; Mar 12, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
1 hr is more than sufficient. It is the same procedure you experienced - follow signs for international connections, there is a passport check/kiosk, then you get dumped into international departures. No security re-check arriving from US. Reverse is similar although you would follow US connections signs, re-clear security and then USCBP.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 4:15 am

Programs: AC SE
Rest easy--2 hours is tons of time, provided that your first flight is roughly on time. Even if it's an hour late you'll be fine. The connecting procedures are much smoother and faster than they were during the pandemic.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Would 90 minutes be enough headed to the USA? With checked luggage?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
That "visa-like" thing is called an ETA. If you've changed your passport since your previous trip, you'll need a new ETA. They are valid for five years, or until the passport expires.
--
13F
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by doug_999
Would 90 minutes be enough headed to the USA? With checked luggage?
Depends on the through checked bags, airline combo and time of day. If all permit the use of the "ITI" facility, it should be a brief formality (CBSA and presumably security) to get to US preclearance (might have to wait until your bags have been photo'd and ready for the CBP agent to look at). Assuming no hold ups and/or your bags don't warrant further inspection, it should be adequate time. GE helped in 2019 from domestic side. Not sure of the current setup from int'l (or rather, never been through this way).

Airport website has removed the connection guide page. It's now hidden in the terminal map and not as detailed as before.

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/maps-2022...2-final-ua.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.