FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   YVR Connections Guide 2022 onward (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/2095629-yvr-connections-guide-2022-onward.html)

Polytonic Jan 9, 2024 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 35890584)
From what I recall being posted earlier, you will not be allowed inside Int'l terminal with a BP for US.

How else could you transfer airside from Domestic to Transborder (without going through International)? When entering International I did have to scan my boarding pass at a security checkpoint, but did not need to go through transit security.

Anyway, I dug through the AC lounge thread and it appears that this exact scenario is covered (International MLL lounge will apparently deny access will deny access and send to transborder MLL).

YVR Cockroach Jan 9, 2024 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 35893044)
How else could you transfer airside from Domestic to Transborder (without going through International)? When entering International I did have to scan my boarding pass at a security checkpoint, but did not need to go through transit security.

I need to see what the current route is between the zones. Used to be D=>I was a one-way connection with just BP check (no security). D => U.S. was security and then preclearance.

So how did you get from D => I => U.S.?

There was a doorway between D and I (further down from where the elevator to the Int'l lounges (CX, etc.) used to be - hard left after clearing security for Int'l).

At any rate, accessing int'l MLL is moot as you've found out.

Polytonic Jan 9, 2024 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 35893069)
I need to see what the current route is between the zones. Used to be D=>I was a one-way connection with just BP check (no security). D => U.S. was security and then preclearance.

So how did you get from D => I => U.S.?

There was a doorway between D and I (further down from where the elevator to the Int'l lounges (CX, etc.) used to be - hard left after clearing security for Int'l).

At any rate, accessing int'l MLL is moot as you've found out.

There's a corridor from D -> I which feeds you into a boarding pass check and security screening area. If I remember correctly, it was marked Fast Pass or something to that effect, and showing my onwards AC boarding pass was sufficient to enter the International area without needing to go through security screening. Somewhere along the way, I also had to scan my boarding pass at a turnstile to actually let me into the International area/gates. Once through, it was another fairly long walk through the International gates until you pass the AC MLL/SS and Plaza Premium lounges on the left, whereby you then "double back" down a little corridor to enter another security screening checkpoint that feeds into the back of the US CBP preclearance area.

Once through preclearance, you can actually see the entrance to the lounges on the opposite balcony (and the corridor/balcony you took to enter the transborder transit security area).

YVR Cockroach Jan 9, 2024 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 35893201)
There's a corridor from D -> I which feeds you into a boarding pass check and security screening area. If I remember correctly, it was marked Fast Pass or something to that effect, and showing my onwards AC boarding pass was sufficient to enter the International area without needing to go through security screening. Somewhere along the way, I also had to scan my boarding pass at a turnstile to actually let me into the International area/gates.

This is the old path from D=>I that's always been there. You get a view of the apron between the domestic C and int'l D piers?

Once through, it was another fairly long walk through the International gates until you pass the AC MLL/SS and Plaza Premium lounges on the left,
Is this the part where there's an incline down to where most of the gates are with the travelator, and one can see the arrival customs hall below and the transborder area across to one's right?

whereby you then "double back" down a little corridor to enter another security screening checkpoint that feeds into the back of the US CBP preclearance area.

Once through preclearance, you can actually see the entrance to the lounges on the opposite balcony (and the corridor/balcony you took to enter the transborder transit security area).
Where exactly is this corridor? Looks like the process has been made so it is single-level though the walks seem long. I wasn't paying enough attention when I was in the Int'l area last month (originating in YVR), and my next airport transit is the debacle of an airport; YYC where I get to enjoy the wonderful D => U.S with < 1.5 hrs.

Polytonic Jan 9, 2024 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 35893330)
This is the old path from D=>I that's always been there. You get a view of the apron between the domestic C and int'l D piers?

Yes that sounds right.

Is this the part where there's an incline down to where most of the gates are with the travelator, and one can see the arrival customs hall below and the transborder area across to one's right?
Yes this sounds correct as well. It's basically two parallel balconies (international and transborder) overlooking the arrival/customs hall below.

Where exactly is this corridor? Looks like the process has been made so it is single-level though the walks seem long. I wasn't paying enough attention when I was in the Int'l area last month (originating in YVR), and my next airport transit is the debacle of an airport; YYC where I get to enjoy the wonderful D => U.S with < 1.5 hrs.
It's basically directly above where the NEXUS kiosks would be. When you pass in front of the international lounges (on your left), there's a metal-framed glass partition on your right which gives the impression that you should just keep walking along the balcony (shops on your left, arrivals hall to the right and below you). The signage is really poor, but basically you go past the partition and make an immediate 180° turn to go through a sliding door that feeds you into a security area.

I'd say it's somewhat similar to the weird setup at YYZ domestic where you can go to the transborder gates by doubling back around.

YVR Cockroach Jan 9, 2024 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 35893649)
It's basically directly above where the NEXUS kiosks would be. When you pass in front of the international lounges (on your left), there's a metal-framed glass partition on your right which gives the impression that you should just keep walking along the balcony (shops on your left, arrivals hall to the right and below you). The signage is really poor, but basically you go past the partition and make an immediate 180° turn to go through a sliding door that feeds you into a security area.

I'd say it's somewhat similar to the weird setup at YYZ domestic where you can go to the transborder gates by doubling back around.

Below video shows it a little after the 27 min mark.

Quite a few changes. For those of us who are really old, Nexus machines used to be under where the transborder corridor after clearing U.S. entry was (left side of the immigration/customs flow).

ftanon12 Jan 27, 2024 5:03 pm

I'm coming from LAX to YVR with a layover in YVR of 2h 30m before my connecting flight to HKG (both through Air Canada) and final destination of CMB through Cathay Pacific. It says I will arrive/depart from Terminal M. Question - I have a DUI (US Citizen) from 9 years ago. Would this cause any issues with catching my connecting flight? Will I have to go through customs again after I land at YVR? I understand Canada has inadmissibility when entering Canada from US with a DUI on record, but I can't find much information under the circumstances of having a layover and connecting flight.

TravellingChris Jan 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ftanon12 (Post 35947641)
I'm coming from LAX to YVR with a layover in YVR of 2h 30m before my connecting flight to HKG (both through Air Canada) and final destination of CMB through Cathay Pacific. It says I will arrive/depart from Terminal M. Question - I have a DUI (US Citizen) from 9 years ago. Would this cause any issues with catching my connecting flight? Will I have to go through customs again after I land at YVR? I understand Canada has inadmissibility when entering Canada from US with a DUI on record, but I can't find much information under the circumstances of having a layover and connecting flight.

You will have to clear Canadian border services at the connections facility upstairs. There is no pre-immigration sterile transit area as there is in many European and Asian airports.

Canada views DUIs the way the U.S. looks at drug convictions--extremely dimly. There is a strong likelihood you will be turned away, even if you're only in transit to a third country.

Best to either change your flights or else seek legal advice from a lawyer who handles Canadian immigration matters.

skitraveler Jan 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Deleting for incorrect info.

shadowspar Jan 28, 2024 2:20 am

Originally Posted by ftanon12 (Post 35947641)

The Air Canada connections page for US => Intl at YVR says that the process involves clearing Canada Customs:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/us-int.html

I agree with TravellingChris -- best get legal advice beforehand or change your flights. For immigration purposes, a DUI is considered a felony in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nvictions.html

ftanon12 Jan 28, 2024 11:11 am

Originally Posted by shadowspar (Post 35948405)
The Air Canada connections page for US => Intl at YVR says that the process involves clearing Canada Customs:

I agree with TravellingChris -- best get legal advice beforehand or change your flights. For immigration purposes, a DUI is considered a felony in Canada.

It also says follow signs for International Connections and go through customs. I called Air Canada and they said I will likely be using a customs Kiosk since I am a US passport holder and don't need a Visa.

SamuelS Feb 8, 2024 4:28 am

Does anyone know the status of United US arrive -> Air Canada Domestic... YVR website indicates one should reclaim bags, redrop, exit out and then walk landside to domestic security to re-clear. But wouldn't this be eligible (at 4pm) for the ITD OSS process and avoid reclaim of bags and recheck?

YVR Cockroach Feb 8, 2024 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SamuelS (Post 35980883)
Does anyone know the status of United US arrive -> Air Canada Domestic... YVR website indicates one should reclaim bags, redrop, exit out and then walk landside to domestic security to re-clear. But wouldn't this be eligible (at 4pm) for the ITD OSS process and avoid reclaim of bags and recheck?

Won't find out until the flight, I wager. Listen for PA announcement closer to arrival.

SamuelS Feb 8, 2024 11:22 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 35981715)
Won't find out until the flight, I wager. Listen for PA announcement closer to arrival.

Ok thanks for that, it does seem to be YMMV from what I've read!

boybi Feb 13, 2024 2:50 am

Is 2hrs20min connection at YVR possible for International to domestic transfer?

Arriving 12:55 (CX810) then transfer to AC220 departing at 15:15. Is this doable with checked in luggages?