Wiki Posts
Search

YVR US Pre-Clearance Hours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass
YVR US Pre-Clearance Hours

Does US Preclearance at YVR really close at 8:30pm?

I have a flight from YVR to the US that leaves at 11:25pm, so do I get to the airport in time to get through preclearance by 8:30?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Preclearance ends for flights departing late evening (probably after 21-2130). You don't get to choose whether you preclear US entry as a passenger on a flight - it's everyone (or at least passengers) on the fight or nothing.. Your flight will probably be treated as an Int'l departure so will depart from the int'l side..
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
If you're on UA1279, it looks like it is departing from the D gates, which is used for international (not US Pre-clearance) flights. Pre-clearance flights use the E gates.

Looks like you'll clear immigration and customs at ORD, and not pre-clear at YVR. Check the United flight status page to see which gate that flight has used in the past.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
If you're on UA1279, it looks like it is departing from the D gates, which is used for international (not US Pre-clearance) flights. Pre-clearance flights use the E gates.

Looks like you'll clear immigration and customs at ORD, and not pre-clear at YVR.
That's correct.
US preclearance closes at 20:00?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
That's correct.
US preclearance closes at 20:00?
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...der-protection

Through U.S. preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States is completed before departure at YVR instead. Please note that US CBP is operational between the hours of 04:30 and 20:30. Passengers who are departing on flights outside of this time should contact their airline for more information.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
From what I understand the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) app that can as of this month be used at a number of larger Canadian airports has been available to Canadian citizens at many US airports, including ORD.

OP can probably take advantage of that, although from what I've read it doesn't seem that the MPC line at those US points of entry is always (or even often, at some) available.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
US preclearance has never stayed open at YVR for redeye flights - to my knowledge. And that included a time when there were more than there are now - the other day I checked and the only departures that are after 8:30pm were the aforementioned UA ORD flight, and the JetBlue to JFK. cant see how it’s worth it for Pre-clearance to stay open for all of two flights.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
It appears preclearance is now open for the red-eye flights... my mother recently traveled on JetBlue's flight and had a different experience than in the past: preclearance but in a "pop-up" sense, not the regular preclearance facility.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
"pop-up"
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:34 pm

@rmp_king how did popup preclearance work? How did they segregate the US territory part of the airport from Canada zone of the airport? I am quite sure privacy barriers does not satisfy CBP as a proper segregation. Theywill want a fence or wall of some sort that spans from floor to ceiling
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
They separated some of the multi-use gates in the international area for the US red-eye departures. I don't believe they do this any more as I believe US Preclearance is now open later due to the increase in US red-eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.