Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

absolutely no rental cars at YUL next Monday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I've been trying to book a car YUL-YUL for Monday through Saturday of next week for 36 h. At first, through our company travel tool which queries the big four rental companies. Then today through the Hertz website. Then through two touristy metasearch sites that look at niche companies in addition to the big ones. Absolutely zilch. When I keep the times and change to YOW or YYZ, I get on the order of 900 hits in those metasearch sites.

System hickup only for Montréal? And two days in a row?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by AltGrStrg
I've been trying to book a car YUL-YUL for Monday through Saturday of next week for 36 h. At first, through our company travel tool which queries the big four rental companies. Then today through the Hertz website. Then through two touristy metasearch sites that look at niche companies in addition to the big ones. Absolutely zilch. When I keep the times and change to YOW or YYZ, I get on the order of 900 hits in those metasearch sites.

System hickup only for Montréal? And two days in a row?

Last time I had to rent a uhaul. No cars.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

You serious? How likely is it that none of the rental car companies have a car in YUL in the 30 times I tried and YOW is awash with cars? Will try to talk to a real person in the travel agency tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:20 pm

This has been a common theme at many airports.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
My nephew had the exact same experience this week. Not a car to be found anywhere close to YUL.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:28 pm

We rented one there a couple of months ago with no trouble. For 2 weeks from now no luck at any price.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Surely people get sick or change plans and cancel?

Is getting a cab to YOW or Massena, NY realistic at 8 pm?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
check off airport at the branches not to far, its what i've done for YYZ this summer
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
You should definitely check for non-airport locations in downtown Montréal or the West Island before you look at YOW or south of the border...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:25 am

Costco is showing some cars available through Budget.

$1000 for Monday -> Saturday
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Had a similar thing happen to me on a last-minute trip to Vancouver some months ago. Was able to find a no-name local car rental company operating out of some industrial area, but with a mileage limit. Luckily I didn't need to drive that much. Perhaps search google for these types of car rentals in Montreal.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
This is par for the course all over the world right now. And lots of the cars you do get have odometer readings far higher than normal. It’s yet another manifestation of the problems with supply chains, etc.

As others have said, get creative with trying smaller off-airport locations, longer and shorter rental periods, and so on. You may get lucky eventually.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, I did try Montréal city with a large perimeter, even Cornwall, ON. I found one small company at YUL airport calles Routes but they open only 8 am - 5:30 pm with no keybox and no late drop off.

Then suddenly Budget cars of all sizes from economy started turning up at some aggregate sites I had tried before but not all (e.g. priceline and our company travel system didn't show them), The offers were all through resellers, not directly from Budget. I ended up booking through Opodo after checking directly with Budget which was slightly more expensive.

Yes, the price was ridiculous, about CAD 1000 for 5 days and with minimal differences between car sizes. It was also about twice as expensive as the car I had reserved with Avis from YOW including the one way fee. Aren't they the same company?

Econ 101 would teach that if YOW is teeming with cars and they can be rented out at more than double the price two hours down the road, they should be paying people to drive them to Montréal.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:20 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Look into Globe Car Rental around the Atwater metro station if you really cannot expense the 1k Budget rental cost
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: ba silver
Try looking for cars in Laval, which is North of Montréal and accessible by car or in certain areas by the metro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.