YUL - International/USA Connection Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YUL - International/USA Connection Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
If it was a daytime connection you would follow https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../int-us.html#/ I can't speak to the various changes over the years.

The Marriott is in-terminal and easily accessed with a luggage cart. It's near the US departure gates so will be pretty quick in the morning.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm
Has Air Canada always had this policy or has it been changed due to varying reasons? I guess we're going to have to lug 4 bags with us to the hotel and back to the check in. Wish I had known this when reserving this routing.
Assuming AC doesn’t lose them first.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:33 pm

A lot of good information on this forum. However, since unexpected things can happen while traveling through foreign countries, I always dot every I and cross every T.

My understanding of the process would be:
* Flying from NRT to MCO through YUL business class on AC all the same ticket
*4 checked bags
*AC flight arrives YUL at 4:50 PM and departs for MCO at 7:30 AM the next day
*Since my understanding is that AC will not be transferring the bags to my MCO flight due to the 13 hour layover
*As such, I will need to retrieve the 4 bags and go through Canadian Immigration & Customs
*Having an American Passport I will not need a Visa, ETA, or Arrivecan
*Will be staying at the Marriott Hotel at Terminal 3
*Will I need any other documentation? I do have a Covid vacination card if required. Any PCR test now required?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: hahaha
no PCR test

don't go through the connections facility (referring to passport check by canadian authorities, not USCBP) by accident, you want the regular arrivals hall (follow signs for baggage claim/exit)

morning-of bag drop deadline 60 minutes before your flight, and US Preclearance only opens at 5:00 AM so it's not like you can get there any earlier than that (technically Preclearance opens at 4:30 AM but the security screening immediately before that doesn't open 'til 5:00 AM)
Old Feb 9, 2023, 9:54 am

Smile

Originally Posted by asovse1
no PCR test

don't go through the connections facility (referring to passport check by canadian authorities, not USCBP) by accident, you want the regular arrivals hall (follow signs for baggage claim/exit)

morning-of bag drop deadline 60 minutes before your flight, and US Preclearance only opens at 5:00 AM so it's not like you can get there any earlier than that (technically Preclearance opens at 4:30 AM but the security screening immediately before that doesn't open 'til 5:00 AM)
Thank You
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I'm looking at a flight from Canada to Europe on AC with a 45 minute connection in YUL. That seems really tight to me. Does anyone know if I can just go directly from a domestic arrival to the international gates, or do I have to stop at security? Does it make a difference if I have checked bags or not?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm looking at a flight from Canada to Europe on AC with a 45 minute connection in YUL. That seems really tight to me. Does anyone know if I can just go directly from a domestic arrival to the international gates, or do I have to stop at security? Does it make a difference if I have checked bags or not?
International terminal is connected to domestic with a set of automatic boarding pass scanners. You don't have to collect your luggage. 45 minutes is tight if there are any delays but it's doable.
seawolf and Low Roller like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
...although I would not have much hope for checked bags on a connection scheduled to be 45min....
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:29 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
If it was a daytime connection you would follow https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../int-us.html#/ I can't speak to the various changes over the years.

The Marriott is in-terminal and easily accessed with a luggage cart. It's near the US departure gates so will be pretty quick in the morning.
When we depart the Canada customs area in which direction is the Marriott Bonvay? Since we will have 4 medium sized bags we'll be pushing a baggage cart. Definately need to go up one story in the elevator and then cross the bridge over the road. That should lead us directly into the hotel check in desk. Where am I going wrong?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
When we depart the Canada customs area in which direction is the Marriott Bonvay? Since we will have 4 medium sized bags we'll be pushing a baggage cart. Definately need to go up one story in the elevator and then cross the bridge over the road. That should lead us directly into the hotel check in desk. Where am I going wrong?
If you are exiting Canada customs there is no bridge to cross. You turn right and take escalator up one level (follow signs to US departures). I presume there will be elevators near the escalators. This put you at the border between US departure terminal and Canada/rest of the world terminal.

You walk thru the entire US departure hall (US check in on your right and roadway will be on your left). Marriott will be at the other end of US departure terminal.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
If you are exiting Canada customs there is no bridge to cross. You turn right and take escalator up one level (follow signs to US departures). I presume there will be elevators near the escalators. This put you at the border between US departure terminal and Canada/rest of the world terminal.

You walk thru the entire US departure hall (US check in on your right and roadway will be on your left). Marriott will be at the other end of US departure terminal.
Thank You. Hope it's not too much of a hike as I'm 82 with a medical condition that does not allow me to struggle with somewhat heavy stuff like pushing 4 bags on a cart. Possibly I can get a porter at the baggage arrival area. Had no idea that Air Canada did not transfer luggage between this connecting flight or I would have booked a different flight or airline. Was not planning on staying overnight at the airport hotel. Live and learn even at my age.

Last edited by floridastorm; Feb 26, 2023 at 10:03 pm Reason: To make a statement clearer.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
Thank You. Hope it's not too much of a hike as I'm 82 with a medical condition [...] Live and learn even at my age.
really impressed!
I can only hope I get there someday.
good luck with your flight!
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Do I have to claim and recheck my bags at YUL

Arriving YUL from SAN and then on to Europe all on AC. Do I need to do anything once off the plane in YUL, or just head to my next gate?

Last edited by ranles; Apr 19, 2023 at 3:24 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Your bag will be checked all the way to Europe.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by ranles
Arriving YUL from SAN and then on to Europe all on AC. Do I need to do anything once off the plane in YUL, or just head to my next gate?
Your bags will be tagged through to Europe in San Diego and you will receive your boarding passes for both flights. In Montreal you won't need to do anything additional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.