US Land Border Reopening early November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Land Border Reopening early November

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I'm confused about the bolded part. What difference does it make?
If there is a warrant out for someone’s arrest he would be held and not admitted into Canada.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
A CDN citizen with valid ID and no arrest warrant cannot be denied entry into Canada by CBSA. They get around this for flights by making the airlines check covid tests and then denying boarding not denying entry into Canada. Public health takes over from CBSA upon admission into Canada and can make you quarantine/self-isolate at a government facility if there are at-risk people at your place of quarantine.
An arrest warrant wouldn't deny entry into Canada. You'd be allowed in but would be arrested and placed in custody.

Meanwhile, requiring the airlines to check COVID tests is why I will not be travelling to the U.S. from Canada by air. My concern is testing positive, not being permitted on the plane and having to sweat out two weeks on the other side of the border. Travelling from Buffalo or Niagara Falls, NY, means I can get to the border in my own car, present my positive test results and should medical treatment be required I can get it at home instead of the U.S.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If there is a warrant out for someone’s arrest he would be held and not admitted into Canada.
We're talking about a Canadian citizen with a warrant at a Canadian PoE or a non-Canadian citizen?

Assuming a warrant issued by Canada on a Canadian citizen. Why would they not be admitted by CBSA? Person needs to be admitted into Canada so they can be handed over to appropriate Canadian authorities.

Assuming a warrant issued by foreign country on a Canadian citizen. Why would they not be admitted by CBSA? Person needs to be admitted into Canada so extradition proceedings can take place.

In both scenarios above there is no obligations from any other country to admit this person.

Assuming a warrant issued by Canada on a foreign national. I'm guessing it's a toss up whether they will be admitted. Is it in national interest for this warrant to be executed or the person to be declared inadmissible.

In any case, Canadian citizen have right to enter under IRPA. Inadmissibility can only be applied to foreign nationals.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Canadian citizens are always legally admissible into Canada. Even if it means the Canadian citizen with an arrest warrant is immediately to be put under arrest in Canada or detained pending extradition.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Canadian citizens are always legally admissible into Canada. Even if it means the Canadian citizen with an arrest warrant is immediately to be put under arrest in Canada or detained pending extradition.
Even Cdn citizens with a positive covid test will be admitted at a land border but turned over to public health.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Arrest warrants in Canada have territorial jurisdiction. Depending upon the severity of the crime, the scope of the warrant may be municipal, regional, Provincial, Westetn/Eastern Canada or Canada wide warrants. If you enter Canada from outside the jurisdiction of the warrant, you won't be arrested as they have no jurisdiction to do so. You will likely be held for an interview and follow-up. The CSBA may call the city where the warrant was issued to see if they want to extend the jurisdiction of the warrant. In most cases, they won't bare the expenses to return an arrestee.

Regardless, anyone who has a legal right to reside in Canada cannot be denied entry. They can, however, face punitive damages for not following the requirments of entry.

James
Old Nov 29, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA
No need for PCR test from tomorrow, if returning to CDN in under 72 hours.

As of Tuesday, fully vaccinated Canadians will be able to make out-of-country trips of less than 72 hours in duration without the need to provide a molecular COVID-19 test to re-enter Canada without having to quarantine for 14 days.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE
The Washington Post is reporting "Biden announced that inbound international travelers must be tested for the coronavirus within one day of global departure, regardless of nationality or vaccination status, beginning early next week." There is no specific mention of whether that includes land borders with Canada. Similarly, City News is saying "U.S. made no mention on whether fully vaccinated Canadians who drive south would be required to show a test result."

Does anyone have clarity on whether a test will be required at the land borders?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The Washington Post is reporting "Biden announced that inbound international travelers must be tested for the coronavirus within one day of global departure, regardless of nationality or vaccination status, beginning early next week." There is no specific mention of whether that includes land borders with Canada. Similarly, City News is saying "U.S. made no mention on whether fully vaccinated Canadians who drive south would be required to show a test result."

Does anyone have clarity on whether a test will be required at the land borders?
Too hard on CBP staff to implement. With flying they dump the responsibility on the airline. .
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Too hard on CBP staff to implement. With flying they dump the responsibility on the airline. .
Not sure I follow.

Logistically it is quite easy for CBP to implement same as how CBSA enforcing today at land border.

The tricky question is what do you do with US citizens who are positive or refuse to test if land test is required.

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 2, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:21 pm

Perhaps so, but I plan to cross into the US by land on Monday and am hoping to resolve the ambiguity by then. The official Whitehouse statement is simply not clear.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Perhaps so, but I plan to cross into the US by land on Monday and am hoping to resolve the ambiguity by then. The official Whitehouse statement is simply not clear.
I have driven across several times per month since covid started. US land agents have zero interest in ever asking about covid test status. Airport agents also don’t ask. It’s the airlines. A US citizen with a valid passport and no Customs violation crossing by land with no covid test will tell them to pound sand. Then what? And what if there are many of them? They cannot easily turn around and go back to Canada (probably Mexico they could) without a pcr test.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 2, 2021 at 6:04 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:14 am

I did a brief daytrip into Niagara Falls, NY yesterday, across the Rainbow Bridge. At the US border we were asked, "Where are you going?" and "Do you have anything to declare?" and nothing more. Coming back we were asked only "Where do you live?" and "What is the value of the goods you are returning with?" It was as easy as easy can be. (Note: We did, of course, have to input all kinds of information into ArriveCan, so obviously on the Canadian side they had access to all that.)
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Montreal Gazette - Dec 7 2021

Confusion swirls around ArriveCAN app and its use at the Canadian-U.S. border

Canadian travellers who have been told they must quarantine after a trip across the border say the app is unreliable and awkward to navigate.

QUOTES:

"The federal government is reining in overzealous border guards who have ordered fully vaccinated Canadian travellers to spend 14 days in quarantine for failing to properly fill out the ArriveCAN application.

A retired Quebec civil servant and a Montreal anesthesiologist are among dozens of Canadians who were ordered to stay home for two weeks because they failed to, or were unable to, submit all their travel details or vaccination status on the app prior to arriving at the border."

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ian-u-s-border
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:53 am
Original Member

I can't say I agree with the article. The app could have been a lot worst.

It's nice they actually included last used values such as country of COVID vaccination so you don't have to search for the same country again for the 2nd dose. Same for quarantine address. It's also great they build in document scanning capability to read the document MRZ.

Would even be better if they save the vaccine dosage info for frequent travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.