Reload this Page >

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:08 am

I am flying in 2 weeks and connecting in YYZ to USA. Family and i flying business class, but no Nexus. If you happened to notice, was the priority line for security opened for AC business class passengers?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by yyzsfoflyer
Yyz-lga this morning:. Non priority lines were backed up into the terminal concourse. I estimate at least 1 hr to reach security. Priority line was only 5-6 people. I was not asked for attestation form or test results (but I have attested online during check-in and provided scan of test beforehand which was approved)

I am flying in 2 weeks and connecting in YYZ to USA. Family and i flying business class, but no Nexus. If you happened to notice, was the priority line for security opened for AC business class passengers?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by avgeek9995
Apologies if this reply gets duplicated. Yes, the priority line for business class was open. However, once you get past security, the nonNexus/Global Entry line was quite backed up.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:17 pm

Apologies if this reply gets duplicated. Yes, the priority line for business class was open. However, once you get past security, the nonNexus/Global Entry line was quite backed up.
Thanks! Guess having priority security will at least help with reducing some security wait times...still 2 weeks out, but low key hoping customs line may be shorter by then.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Any idea if the priority line still accepts Amex plat cardholders, or is it just Business/AC elites? I've got an Amex plat (US-based) which I assume would have used to get me in that line, but I'm not 100% sure, and never needed it before because...well, Nexus.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by isi
September 27 I arrived from YVR first thing in the morning, connecting to LGA. Arrived and walked through to the F (I think, connecting to US ) wing security station which only opens at ~6:15am. By the time I got there a long line had formed out past the customer service desk and in to the corridor. Though signed for it they were not operating the priority lane. Line moved quickly enough, maybe took 20 minutes of slow shuffling to get to the front.

GE kiosks were working (this time) with no wait (time of day) and no wait to see the agent.
Also connecting through YYZ to USA in 12 days. Have not done the process of connecting to USA since 2019, so a bit rusty. Do connecting pax go to the same security line/customs as non-connecting pax or are they seperate? Flying business, so should have priority security access, but a bit nervous with all the horror stories i have been reading.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:23 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by avgeek9995
Do connecting pax go to the same security line/customs as non-connecting pax or are they seperate?
There's a separate security screening for connecting pax.
avgeek9995 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Did this yesterday around 7 am. I was able to go through without Nexus/Global Entry within 45 min (no checked bags). However, from talking to others, within 30 minutes after that, it went nuts. Long lines and disorganized. Pretty much every flight to the US was delayed while waiting for connecting passangers. We sat on the plane at the gate for an hour while they waited for more passangers and messed with baggage.

AC really needs to stop providing short (less than 1 1/2 hrs) connections to the US. It's ridiculous to have every flight late because of preclearance. In this covid environment, I don't want to sit on a plane filled with passangers for any longer than I have to. It especially sucks if I'm in the plane longer at the gate than in the air.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ*G, AY*S
Does anyone know why there's such a discrepancy between the CBP Preclearance wait times reported on the website (https://pqt.cbp.gov/report/YYZ_1/10-11-2021) and the horrific reports in this thread? Is it bad data collection or are meltdown mornings rarer than they actually are?
supervillian likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cryotia
Does anyone know why there's such a discrepancy between the CBP Preclearance wait times reported on the website (https://pqt.cbp.gov/report/YYZ_1/10-11-2021) and the horrific reports in this thread? Is it bad data collection or are meltdown mornings rarer than they actually are?
clearly, that’s not updated. It’s certainly possible meltdowns are less frequent than reports imply, but those times just can not be based on facts. Given I haven’t used pre-clear at since the start of the pandemic (will this week, though), I’ve been consistently traveling between YYZ and the US for the better part of 3 decades, and I’ve never ever seen a 0 minute wait time. Back in the day, non-peak times, sure, maybe just a few minutes, but never 0 (as in, walk right up to an officer). Never. Just not possible.

On the other hand, I believe wait times at CBP have been relatively less now (at least pre-pandemic) than they were 5 years prior, as they changed the flow of things. When you did customs, then security, security had few lines, since everyone was coming through customs and the backlog was there. There is currently still somewhat of a backlog at customs, but with security first, a significant part of the wait is there. I’d suspect Global entry has also somewhat cut the regular queues down over the past multiple years.

Covid obviously changed things again (not for the better, faster or easier), so things are presumably worse again. Coming into YYZ from US on Sat., it was a mess, and I was much faster than a lot of others due to Nexus. I won’t lie - concerned about the time it will take to get through in Thurs.
supervillian likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:36 pm

Those government records are not reliable. Last week at the land border the frequent update said it would be a 3 minute wait and it took 45 minutes.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
AC737 YYZ-SFO last Sat posted 1h delay Fri night with departure changed from 8 am to 9 am.

I got to YYZ at 6:40 am because of the new checked baggage deadline 2h prior. A bit of a lineup at AC Priority checkin - who decided to combine Special Services there ?

Priority security was open and fast with lineups for regular security extending back to police station area. Lineups were separated by flight number -

Huge backlog in customs area if you didn't have global entry/nexus...

We boarded close to scheduled time.

Our flight delayed another 2h waiting for people to clear. One passenger said he had arrived at 5:30 am and barely got to gate for 9 am. We pushed back close to 11 am...

Not good ! Same delays have been happening all this week...
m.y and supervillian like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by xray
Not good ! Same delays have been happening all this week...
How is it that United manages to get their flights out on time in the morning from the same terminal with the same supposed customs issues.
The 8am EWR and 8:50am ORD have not one delay all week.

So its either, they are leaving pax behind, or this is not a YYZ problem.
mlbcard likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How is it that United manages to get their flights out on time in the morning from the same terminal with the same supposed customs issues.
The 8am EWR and 8:50am ORD have not one delay all week.
Interesting.

I will have to say that I'm watching the rolling delays for that same YYZ-SFO flight in much more comfort from my hotel room as I'm scheduled for the return SFO-YYZ flight. Won't be rushing to go to the airport for sure...
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xray
Interesting.

I will have to say that I'm watching the rolling delays for that same YYZ-SFO flight in much more comfort from my hotel room as I'm scheduled for the return SFO-YYZ flight. Won't be rushing to go to the airport for sure...
I was flying ex-SFO on UA on Sat to YYZ via ORD. We came back to gate for medical emergency, and was debating whether I would miss connection and just have them put me on AC instead. Glad I didn’t. Checked flight status before and the noon AC SFOflight at that point (about 7:45am PT), AC noon flight was showing delayed until after 2. Hadn’t even left YYZ yet, so figured it might leave later (I never bothered to check after that). Ran to make my slightly delayed connection at ORD.

this is one reason (of many) I avoid AC when possible. Tomorrow, going home via an AC flight to DEN first, so we’ll see how that goes. Have plenty of buffer in DEN to connect if I need it - this was the best timed for arrival for me, which is the reason I did it given I had a large connection buffer. Been checking the 9:15 DEN flight and it typically seems to take off between 10 and 11. This morning, 10:56. Meanwhile, UA sent an 8 and 10 am to EWR early, as well as a 9am to ORD on time. So definitely seems to be a AC issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.