Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent/Current YYZ-USA Preclearance Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Went through last Thursday at 930AM. Long line for regular security that went outside the hall and into the strapped lines, absolutely zero people in Nexus, I was through in probably 3 minutes including waiting for my bags to come through.

US Immigration was easily 1+hours, maybe 2+ hours, it's been a long time since I've seen it that bad, but with an empty Global Entry line I was through in about 2 minutes including walking time, so from curb to MLL in maybe 10 minutes total time, most of which was walking from the curb to the Nexus entrance.

Now I'm sure Monday or Friday mornings at 6AM are probably different, but my experience was 99% less stressful than I expected.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Only 2 GE kiosks are operating at YYZ this noon (Jul 21, 2022)

Arrived at YYZ around noon and found out all GE kiosks are out of order expect two, speak to the CBP officer and he said for some reason they all crashed at the same time. Thoughts?

Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
A pilot told me today that CBP at YYZ would be beginning work to rule today and would be slowing down processing. I haven’t heard anything else about that kind of action, but wonder if this would be consistent with it.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:47 pm

You need to mention this is T1 and not T3.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
A pilot told me today that CBP at YYZ would be beginning work to rule today and would be slowing down processing. I haven’t heard anything else about that kind of action, but wonder if this would be consistent with it.
Why would working to rule affect automated kiosks?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by D404
Why would working to rule affect automated kiosks?
No idea. Maybe they shut them down to be ornery? I assume it doesn't--in fact I assume there isn't actually work-to-rule--but this pilot was told so.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: TK Gold
1 hr 15 minutes for Pre-clearance? Risky Connection?

Looking into YUL-BOS via YYZ with a 1 hour 15 minutes stopover.

YUL-YYZ seems to be delayed always

Anyone recently travelled to YYZ, can you suggest the likelihood whether the baggage/ the passenger would be able to make it?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Looking into YUL-BOS via YYZ with a 1 hour 15 minutes stopover.

YUL-YYZ seems to be delayed always

Anyone recently travelled to YYZ, can you suggest the likelihood whether the baggage/ the passenger would be able to make it?
No one could say definitively, but it’s definitely a substantial risk these days. I would plan as if you’ll miss the connection and take it as a bonus if you don’t.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:09 pm

Nowadays Air Canada has been holding up planes for passengers who have made it to customs and are stuck in line (basically as long as your boarding pass gets scanned right as you are entering preclearance area). Typically every flight has been delayed 2-3 hours leaving to the US, so there's always a good chance you'll make it.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Anyone have any more information on how the queueing stuff works for T1 US preclearance at YYZ? Have a flight out of YYZ to EWR at 06:30 tomorrow morning. Don't want to show up at 03:30 and get kicked out of line...

As an aside, I applied for Nexus in January 2020 after 5 or 6 awful early morning experiences going through T1 US preclearance. Truly scarring stuff. FINALLY have my interview on August 6 in Niagara Falls. So for one last time, I'm stuck in line tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jameelism
Anyone have any more information on how the queueing stuff works for T1 US preclearance at YYZ? Have a flight out of YYZ to EWR at 06:30 tomorrow morning. Don't want to show up at 03:30 and get kicked out of line...

As an aside, I applied for Nexus in January 2020 after 5 or 6 awful early morning experiences going through T1 US preclearance. Truly scarring stuff. FINALLY have my interview on August 6 in Niagara Falls. So for one last time, I'm stuck in line tomorrow morning.
Which airline are you flying and will you need to check in or drop bags at the airport?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:10 pm

United, checking a bag and may need to get my boarding pass too because United hates my passport or something.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Which airline are you flying and will you need to check in or drop bags at the airport?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:44 pm

United, checking a bag and may need to get my boarding pass too because United hates my passport or something.
My understanding—and someone can correct me if I’m wrong—is that the ”holding pens” are AC-specific (so United passengers can just get into the line at any time).

I am taking someone to T1 for a 7 AM departure tomorrow. She will not be checking a bag, has no Nexus and no status, and is a US citizen. We plan to have her there for around 4:30.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:56 pm

Gleaned as much from this thread as well but there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer on whether they are in fact AC specific. Add communication as another YYZ failing.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
My understanding—and someone can correct me if I’m wrong—is that the ”holding pens” are AC-specific (so United passengers can just get into the line at any time).

I am taking someone to T1 for a 7 AM departure tomorrow. She will not be checking a bag, has no Nexus and no status, and is a US citizen. We plan to have her there for around 4:30.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:07 pm

My understanding is you do not need to follow any AC requirements - of course some airport staff may not know this, or not care, so be prepared to get aggressive and firm and tell them you're not flying Air Canada so you will be going through and then just go. Don't ask questions, just go.

Having said that, Saturday morning should be less stressful than weekdays, but mornings are always a toss-up and I've seen the United counter very busy. If you can use the kiosk to get your boarding pass, all the better but if you need to see an agent, and have no UA status, budget another 30-40 minutes just for that, and 30-40 minutes for security and 60-90 minutes for US Immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.