Wiki Posts
Search

Travel between Quebec and Ontario

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
Travel between Quebec and Ontario

I have to fly to Ottawa from YVR for an appointment with a European embassy to renew passport and was hoping to fly in and out of Montreal and just take the train for the 2 hours rather than staying in Ottawa but just realized that this might not even be allowed.
Since Quebec and Ontario are opening up is that an option in June? I can change my embassy appointment from beginnig of June to the last week of June and didn't even think that this would be an issue but I am glad I just checked but the information is not that clear with regards to the opening plan and interprovincial travel.
Old May 24, 2021, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I have to fly to Ottawa from YVR for an appointment with a European embassy to renew passport and was hoping to fly in and out of Montreal and just take the train for the 2 hours rather than staying in Ottawa but just realized that this might not even be allowed.
Since Quebec and Ontario are opening up is that an option in June? I can change my embassy appointment from beginnig of June to the last week of June and didn't even think that this would be an issue but I am glad I just checked but the information is not that clear with regards to the opening plan and interprovincial travel.
The regulations allow for travel from Quebec into Ontario if
” the person is travelling into or through Ontario by means of an international or interprovincial bus, train, ferry, or flight”
Via rail is running normal services.
Rules should change for a few days before June 14 if you can wait that long. Timing is 14 days after 60% of adults get shot 1.
yvrcnx and Antonio8069 like this.

Last edited by rstruthe; May 24, 2021 at 5:08 pm Reason: Auto correct changed ferry to feny
Old May 24, 2021, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rstruthe
The regulations allow for travel from Quebec into Ontario if
” the person is travelling into or through Ontario by means of an international or interprovincial bus, train, ferry, or flight”
Via rail is running normal services.
Rules should change for a few days before June 14 if you can wait that long. Timing is 14 days after 60% of adults get shot 1.
Thank you, this is really helpful as I have the option to have the appointment between June 9 - 12 or June 20 - 26, in which case I'll plan to fly out on the 20th by which time hopefully it will be more relaxed and I don't have to worry about the interprovincial restrictions.
I am hoping to take advantage of the current great airfare from AC to YYZ, rent a car and drive to Ottawa and Montreal.
If I can't drive, I would just fly or take the train to Montreal.

Thank you again, really appreciate it.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:52 pm

The border checks are pretty halfhearted. Most of the time, there's no checkpoint between Ottawa and Gatineau with many people walking or driving across the bridges. When there are checkpoints, it's more of a case of try another bridge.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

So, I have booked my flights to Toronto and on to Ottawa for June 19th so that I can do the meeting at the embassy on the 21st. I was planning to take the train to Montreal for a few days and then either take the train back to Toronto or fly, spend a night and fly back to YVR on the 26th.

However, I just saw that Ontario has extended it interprovincial travel ban between Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba until June 16th and I have a feeling it will get extended even further looking at how slow things are moving all across Canada when it comes to anykind of re-opening.
I wonder if I should just fly back to YVR right after the meeting and skip Montreal all together which I would hate to do but looks like I might not be allowed to enter Quebec or re-enter Ontario for my flight home.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: AC SE
I’m assuming there are many thousands of families planning to cross provincial borders for vacations come July. Mine is among them (from Toronto to an Airbnb near Mont Tremblant). Has there been any information on the likelihood of the orders being extended long enough to keep this from happening?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:08 am

Nothing from the Quebec side, but currently random checks are still happening. I know people who got turned back last Friday, they own a place here, Tremblant that is.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I’m assuming there are many thousands of families planning to cross provincial borders for vacations come July. Mine is among them (from Toronto to an Airbnb near Mont Tremblant). Has there been any information on the likelihood of the orders being extended long enough to keep this from happening?
The current official restrictions are not only that residents of Ontario cannot cross into Quebec for non-essential reasons, they also cannot *be* in Quebec and there's technically a 14-day quarantine for travel. Knowing Quebec, I'd say any change in restrictions will happen after Ontario drops its travel ban from Quebec first. In practice, crossing into Quebec and driving in an Ontario car is fine if you're visiting Gatineau or Montreal. Anywhere else, especially in the Laurentides like Mont Tremblant, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb with a decent chance of being stopped by the SQ. So you'll have to wait closer to June 16 to know. My opinion is that travel will either restart then or on July 1 when many other provinces in Canada begin reopening provincial borders again.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
The current official restrictions are not only that residents of Ontario cannot cross into Quebec for non-essential reasons, they also cannot *be* in Quebec and there's technically a 14-day quarantine for travel. Knowing Quebec, I'd say any change in restrictions will happen after Ontario drops its travel ban from Quebec first. In practice, crossing into Quebec and driving in an Ontario car is fine if you're visiting Gatineau or Montreal. Anywhere else, especially in the Laurentides like Mont Tremblant, and you'll stick out like a sore thumb with a decent chance of being stopped by the SQ. So you'll have to wait closer to June 16 to know. My opinion is that travel will either restart then or on July 1 when many other provinces in Canada begin reopening provincial borders again.

There are so many Ontario plated cars in the parking lots at our Tremblant grocery stores, that my Quebec plates look out of place. Honestly it has become the local joke.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
So, I have booked my flights to Toronto and on to Ottawa for June 19th so that I can do the meeting at the embassy on the 21st. I was planning to take the train to Montreal for a few days and then either take the train back to Toronto or fly, spend a night and fly back to YVR on the 26th.

However, I just saw that Ontario has extended it interprovincial travel ban between Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba until June 16th and I have a feeling it will get extended even further looking at how slow things are moving all across Canada when it comes to anykind of re-opening.
I wonder if I should just fly back to YVR right after the meeting and skip Montreal all together which I would hate to do but looks like I might not be allowed to enter Quebec or re-enter Ontario for my flight home.
If you can't get to Quebec, and you were looking for somewhere for a night or two , you might check out Kingston, Ontario.
A beautiful city on Lake Ontario, and the start of the St. Lawrence River. About 1:45 hoursr from Ottawa.
A beautiful City, great food. Also lovely breezes off the lake in late June. Trains avaiable.
Just a thought.
yvrcnx likes this.

Last edited by Roberta Scanlon; Jun 4, 2021 at 7:01 pm
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roberta Scanlon
If you can't get to Quebec, and you were looking for somewhere for a night or two , you might check out Kingston, Ontario.
A beautiful city on Lake Ontario, and the start of the St. Lawrence River. About 1:45 hoursr from Ottawa.
A beautiful City, great food. Also lovely breezes off the lake in late June. Trains avaiable.
Just a thought.
Thank you so much Roberta, that is very thoughtful and helpful as I have been looking at what to do since I am not flying back until the Monday after and Kingston is not a place I would have even thought of. I'll definitely check it out.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

So this is what I am planning to do now.
June 21 fly from YYZ - YOW
June 23 take the VIA from Ottawa to Montreal.
June 26 fly from YUL to YYZ to connect to my YVR flight the day or two later.

My main concern would be the train as I am not sure if that would be allowed to cross the 'border' into Quebec.
I might have to wait until June 16th to get clarity but wonder if anyone here has done something similar recently.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Anyone drive from Ontario to Quebec recently? Any checkpoints? I'm looking to do a quick visit of a client in Dorval next week for a few hours.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Anyone drive from Ontario to Quebec recently? Any checkpoints? I'm looking to do a quick visit of a client in Dorval next week for a few hours.

Avoid Friday afternoon if you can, that is the only time we have had friends with issues.
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:14 pm

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...spitalizations

"Quebec-Ontario border should reopen in 'next few days,' Legault says"
yvrcnx and Arthurrs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.