Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walking Across the US-Canada Border: Comparisons and Considerations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by downinit
I did this a few years ago at the Peace Arch betwean SEA and YVR, and I do not recommend it.
You could have stopped the post there. I've done that crossing a fair bit and the Canadians were always complicated in terms of getting into their country. Far more questions than needed (I live in Europe and travel on an EU member state passport) and the general tone was aggressive and confrontational. The comparison coming the other way was night and day; even once when I'd managed to wash my passport, the US border people were polite and helpful in terms of restoring my mostly-vanished visa stamp.

In the end I switched to going into Canada via the truck crossing as they seemed to be more straightforward.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
A few years ago my wife and I wanted to cross the border at the Rainbow Bridge on our bicycles. My first thought was that we could walk them across the bridge, entering CA as pedestrians. When I researched if we could do this, I discovered we needed to cycle across with traffic. It wasn’t a big deal and was a pretty interesting way to cross the border.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:15 am

There is a $2 express bus from BUF to downtown Buffalo and then another $2 express bus from there to Niagara Falls, with a stop 3 blocks from the Rainbow Bridge. In Niagara Falls, ON its a $20 uber ride to the GO Station, and another $20 for the GO to Union Station.

However, I think is presently a minimum 3 day quarantine for visitors to New York State, so until that's pulled it could throw a wrench into things. How well it's enforced is a separate question.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
There is a $2 express bus from BUF to downtown Buffalo and then another $2 express bus from there to Niagara Falls, with a stop 3 blocks from the Rainbow Bridge. In Niagara Falls, ON its a $20 uber ride to the GO Station, and another $20 for the GO to Union Station.

However, I think is presently a minimum 3 day quarantine for visitors to New York State, so until that's pulled it could throw travellers passing through NY state and the quarantine does not apply. a wrench into things. How well it's enforced is a separate question.
I have travelled through NY state 10+ times during covid. There are many liberal/generous exemptions for in transit passengers.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond
If in Detroit/Windsor, there is always the tunnel bus. Accessible too.

https://www.windsortunnel.com/travel-windsor
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by Points Poppa

However, I think is presently a minimum 3 day quarantine for visitors to New York State, so until that's pulled it could throw a wrench into things. How well it's enforced is a separate question.

Two days ago the NY State Covid hotline told me as an in-transit pax I had 4 days to leave the state after arriving at Buffalo airport. I would prefer to leave immediately but the late arrival and driving at night after a long travel day is problematic. Four days seems overly generous, though.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
In BUF, National Guard members carrying clipboards swarm you as you come out of the secure area to have you fill out the NY state Covid paperwork. You just write on it that you're in transit. No one actually checks it out, it's more "pandemic theatre" than anything else.

The most ideal bridge to walk across would be Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls because it's shorter in length and it's easier to be dropped off/picked up there. Keep in mind though that this time of year not only is it windy, but it's also freezing cold!
TheCanuckian and jackmaninov like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
In BUF, National Guard members carrying clipboards swarm you as you come out of the secure area to have you fill out the NY state Covid paperwork. You just write on it that you're in transit. No one actually checks it out, it's more "pandemic theatre" than anything else. cold!
Done this many times since last March. Fill in the online form in advance and take a screenshot of the big green checkmark and show this as you exit security at BUF. Saves time and needless conversation.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I posted on a different forum regarding whether neg covid test needs to be us based or not ....order in council having changed from us to not referring to us even though media outlets continuing to state us based. Secondly, what of the test at the border. Administered and on your way to await your results? who pays?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
I posted on a different forum regarding whether neg covid test needs to be us based or not ....order in council having changed from us to not referring to us even though media outlets continuing to state us based. Secondly, what of the test at the border. Administered and on your way to await your results? who pays?

Thanks for raising this question. I was just about to.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by testycal
Secondly, what of the test at the border. Administered and on your way to await your results? who pays?
The Star (paywall) has some info:
What happens at the border?

You’ll be given two test kits; one kit so you can test yourself as soon as you start your quarantine, and the other to test yourself toward the end of your quarantine.

Depending on your land point entry, you’ll be able to do your first test on site.

There will be 16 land border points of entry that will be able to do testing on site, starting with five on Feb. 22 and the other 11 will begin on March 4.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The Star (paywall) has some info:

Thanks so much for this info. Helpful. When I read the list of sites, Whirlpool Bridge (Nexus) wasn’t one of them. Does this mean we can’t use it or, we’d just been given a kit to be done later?

Will people using land crossing be charged for kits?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Seattle Peace Arch Pacific Crossing transit information from Seatac ...in order for this to work you need to catch 230 shuttle bus from Seatac as this gives a 15 minute window to transfer to the local bus in Ferndale although you could take a taxi I suppose..total cost from Seatac $50 + $1 local transit Blaine Bus 75 that brings you to within 5/ 10 minutes walking distance of either crossing....total time approximately 4 hours to border crossing from Seatac. Shuttle arrives Ferndale exchange at 530. 75 bus leaves 545 and takes about an hour to the border area. Arrival around 640 pm. Alternative to one way car rental. There is a transit bus on the Canadian side near the 8th Ave interchange but that is around a 2 km walk. Takes you to Surrey exchange at which time you can transfer to Canada Line. Add another 1.5 hours for this option if you do not have a pick up or drop off of your own vehicle by friends.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
flyer.docx (515.0 KB, 44 views)
Jae Choi likes this.

Last edited by testycal; Feb 22, 2021 at 12:28 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Two days ago the NY State Covid hotline told me as an in-transit pax I had 4 days to leave the state after arriving at Buffalo airport. I would prefer to leave immediately but the late arrival and driving at night after a long travel day is problematic. Four days seems overly generous, though.
The four days is very useful to get Covid-19 testing done which could then perhaps be used to meet some 72-hour testing requirement to travel onward from the state and the country. A BUF-departing passenger needing a Covid-19 PCR test to travel out of the country from elsewhere in the US may need the bulk of that 4 day period to take a test or two around Buffalo and then continue onward by air to get outside of the US and Canada since test-taking opportunities, costs and times are not uniform or even necessarily consistent.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 22, 2021 at 2:37 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A BUF-departing passenger needing a Covid-19 PCR test to travel out of the country
For the purposes of this thread, I think we are more talking about arriving in BUF. Canadians cant really depart BUF at the moment...
I would be interested to know if someone can pick you up on the other side of the bridge and drive you home.

If Uber/public transport is ok, what about a relative?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.