Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by gcashin
That sounds like an oversight by the agent at the airport, so don't think you can count on that as the rules for traveling with a prior positive still need a nucleic acid/PCR test. I know the agents I had check tests in LHR, DXB, and other Intl stations were very diligent in checking the type of test. I guess you lucked out and got US agents who were more used to dealing with antigen tests as the norm for travel.
RT-LAMP is molecular and valid for travel to CAnada - they are just not so common.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I ordered a RT-LAMP test from Switch Health when I got sick and the antigen tests given to me at the testing site confirmed Covid. I used it last Friday coming back from California. It was accepted without any problems when checking in at SNA and during the document check at SFO.
Originally Posted by gcashin
That sounds like an oversight by the agent at the airport, so don't think you can count on that as the rules for traveling with a prior positive still need a nucleic acid/PCR test. I know the agents I had check tests in LHR, DXB, and other Intl stations were very diligent in checking the type of test. I guess you lucked out and got US agents who were more used to dealing with antigen tests as the norm for travel.
If you were positive on the proctored RT-LAMP, that counts as proper documentation as it's a molecular test...antigen doesn't work for proof of prior infection for Canada.
gcashin and hoipolloi like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by xray
If you were positive on the proctored RT-LAMP, that counts as proper documentation as it's a molecular test...antigen doesn't work for proof of prior infection for Canada.
This. RT-LAMP is one of the accepted molecular tests for proof of positive or negative results
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I ordered a RT-LAMP test from Switch Health when I got sick and the antigen tests given to me at the testing site confirmed Covid. I used it last Friday coming back from California. It was accepted without any problems when checking in at SNA and during the document check at SFO.
I got my gold ticket too from an RT-LAMP test kit that I had on hand "just in case"
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
RT-LAMP is molecular and valid for travel to CAnada - they are just not so common.
Oh yes, I'd read the initial reply quickly and I'd interpreted the original note being that the positive test was from the antigen, but sounds like OP got it documented via the RT-LAMP test. I was aware that the LAMP tests were OK, but the antigen part led me astray.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The requirement for the rapid antigen test to be administered in clinic and disallowing home tests is a real bummer though...antigen tests aren't priced much cheaper than PCR if testing at a clinic...
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lily23
The requirement for the rapid antigen test to be administered in clinic and disallowing home tests is a real bummer though...antigen tests aren't priced much cheaper than PCR if testing at a clinic...
Do the test really have to be administered at a clinic ? Or you just need a certificate signed by a clinic / heath professional / pharmacy ?
What about online supervised tests ?

By the way there are still some advantages with antigen tests
1 - you get the results more quickly
2 - it is generally cheaper
3 - it is less sensitive. More chance for the test to be negative if you have a very low viral load (in which case you generally are not contagious).
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Do the test really have to be administered at a clinic ? Or you just need a certificate signed by a clinic / heath professional / pharmacy ?
What about online supervised tests ?

By the way there are still some advantages with antigen tests
1 - you get the results more quickly
2 - it is generally cheaper
3 - it is less sensitive. More chance for the test to be negative if you have a very low viral load (in which case you generally are not contagious).
Based on what was in the CBC / Global News articles, it seems even supervised at home tests are excluded. Relevant quotes below:
"These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work" - Global
"
Travellers will still be required to take a pre-arrival test, but they can instead opt for an authorized clinic-administered rapid antigen test" - CBC

It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150. I've been using the BinaxNow home test (proctored via video) to get back to the US and those are much much cheaper (6 pack for $150) and also more convenient to do at home vs. scheduling an appointment at airport. If anyone has done the antigen test at YVR, its a gong show now that travel has opened up - an hour wait to register even if you have an appointment, and then another hour to actually test tested, and then another 2 hours to get results via email.

Anyways don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and complaining. Especially because European countries are moving towards dropping pre-departure testing entirely - hello UK/France!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
During the news conference, Minister Duclos specifically said testing administered by telehealth service was included so the proctored antigen tests are acceptable.
lily23, TheCanuckian and YYZ1313 like this.

Last edited by xray; Feb 15, 2022 at 4:51 pm
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
During the news conference, Minister Duclos specifically said telemedicine was included so the proctored antigen tests are acceptable.
Its in the official release too

Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement – it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
lily23 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:55 pm

Based on what was in the CBC / Global News articles, it seems even supervised at home tests are excluded. Relevant quotes below:
"These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work" - Global
"
Travellers will still be required to take a pre-arrival test, but they can instead opt for an authorized clinic-administered rapid antigen test" - CBC

It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150. I've been using the BinaxNow home test (proctored via video) to get back to the US and those are much much cheaper (6 pack for $150) and also more convenient to do at home vs. scheduling an appointment at airport. If anyone has done the antigen test at YVR, its a gong show now that travel has opened up - an hour wait to register even if you have an appointment, and then another hour to actually test tested, and then another 2 hours to get results via email.

Anyways don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and complaining. Especially because European countries are moving towards dropping pre-departure testing entirely - hello UK/France!
Don't rely on incomplete news articles. Go to the source, which says telehealth tests are acceptable
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-response.html
ALW likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For me, definitely glad to see the restrictions for children traveling with vaccinated parents disappear. Was too difficult to bring our 3yo, but now shouldn’t be a problem. I’m not 100% clear if, since she’s not vaxed (can’t be), she’ll be required to do the arrival test and day 8 (though unlikely to visit that long) tests, but honestly, those are easy enough…she does these every week for pre-school now, so she doesn’t flinch when swabbed anymore. My biggest issue was the list of things she could/couldn’t do currently, with seemingly no reason for conflicting rules (Uber is ok, public transit not, but grocery store is ok also).

Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
This switch is going to save me $$$$ we're driving to YYZ from Rochester, NY on 3/1 and returning 3/5 (long story, AA flight credit from early 2020). PCR tests are $150-200 USD in Rochester. Antigen tests, assuming they need to be proctored, cost $150 for 6 through eMed on the American website. Also will allow us to visit Niagara on the Lake/Wineries so much more often. LOVE CANADA.
It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150.
Alright, living in the US, so maybe I’m more knowledgeable, but beyond me why anyone would pay for PCR tests from the US, unless you need a rapid for some reason or can’t get an appointment at a place like CVS or Walgreens, or really just want/need to get one on premises at the airport. While some places charge, many do not - they can not in fact if they received government COVID funding - whether the patient has insurance or not. Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid
are no cost at pretty much all of their drive thru locations. Here in the Bay Area, I know about a dozen places I can get no cost PCRs, and while appointments were a problem from about early Dec. to late Jan (basically, during holidays and omnicron surge), they aren’t as much now. With advance planning, this is also easy (Walgreens opens up appointments at midnight local time 7 days (or maybe it’s 6?) prior, so you just login and snag one then. Right by me, we have a drive-thru that has appointments next day typically, and in a pinch, calling and saying you need one today will almost always generate an availability to get one.
ALW and hoipolloi like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
For me, definitely glad to see the restrictions for children traveling with vaccinated parents disappear. Was too difficult to bring our 3yo, but now shouldn’t be a problem. I’m not 100% clear if, since she’s not vaxed (can’t be), she’ll be required to do the arrival test and day 8 (though unlikely to visit that long) tests, but honestly, those are easy enough…she does these every week for pre-school now, so she doesn’t flinch when swabbed anymore. My biggest issue was the list of things she could/couldn’t do currently, with seemingly no reason for conflicting rules (Uber is ok, public transit not, but grocery store is ok also).

Alright, living in the US, so maybe I’m more knowledgeable, but beyond me why anyone would pay for PCR tests from the US, unless you need a rapid for some reason or can’t get an appointment at a place like CVS or Walgreens, or really just want/need to get one on premises at the airport. While some places charge, many do not - they can not in fact if they received government COVID funding - whether the patient has insurance or not. Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid
are no cost at pretty much all of their drive thru locations. Here in the Bay Area, I know about a dozen places I can get no cost PCRs, and while appointments were a problem from about early Dec. to late Jan (basically, during holidays and omnicron surge), they aren’t as much now. With advance planning, this is also easy (Walgreens opens up appointments at midnight local time 7 days (or maybe it’s 6?) prior, so you just login and snag one then. Right by me, we have a drive-thru that has appointments next day typically, and in a pinch, calling and saying you need one today will almost always generate an availability to get one.

With the new regulations of doing a molecular covid test 72 hr before departure or rapid antigen test 1 day before departure- what advantage is there if I go to USA and do a rapid antigen test - esp if I have access to free tests at Walgreens or other US pharmacies as you state above.

In fact, I submit that in the scenario of doing a nonpcr rapid molecular test in such pharmacies, the turn around time is not that much longer than the time for the rapid antigen test in such pharmacies- but I have more time to do the rapid molecular covid test in relationship to departure compared to the rapid molecular test.

At least for travelers going to USA-- the new rules for allowing a rapid test are only advantageous in regions of USA where there are no pharmacies offering a free non-pcr rapid molecular test. How often do we face this situation.

I guess in most other non US countries- it is either a rapid antigen test or a pcr test. So I guess that the new Canadian travel covid regulations are particularly advantageous for travelers returning from these countries.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Just one more piece of info regarding "home tests". I won't get into specifics but I traveled at Christmas to Canada and used a home test kit PCR. This was one where I took the sample myself (could have been anyone), I filled out all the information online through the portal, I took the sample to the drop box. Even the sample time is self-reported - as it is filled in online. It was tested overnight and I received my certificate the next afternoon 100%. My in-laws (for a trip to AU) went to a full-fledged clinic to have a sample taken and it ultimately turned out that they must have been using the same lab as the report came back in the 100% identical format.

So - while Canada does not allow these types of test (now) - I can say I traveled on it at Christmas with 100% no issues as the certificate was identical to the one from a lab anyway. We did actually take the test ourselves and made a good attempt to get a proper sample - so there was no "cheating" but we did wonder how this could be ok. . . . . but it was in the end.

Really glad that the Telehealth certificates are ok. Hopefully the Switch antigen kits are valid for return to Canada.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: Mileage plus
Hello,

arrived in YUL yesterday. Was selected for testing. So far, I haven’t received my results.

nobody told me to isolate and i wasn’t given any leaflet: am I really supposed to self isolate, still?

thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.