Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Feb 15, 22, 3:38 pm
  #2371  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ZRH
Programs: AC SE 100K
Posts: 863
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
That sounds like an oversight by the agent at the airport, so don't think you can count on that as the rules for traveling with a prior positive still need a nucleic acid/PCR test. I know the agents I had check tests in LHR, DXB, and other Intl stations were very diligent in checking the type of test. I guess you lucked out and got US agents who were more used to dealing with antigen tests as the norm for travel.
RT-LAMP is molecular and valid for travel to CAnada - they are just not so common.
zrh2yvr is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 3:40 pm
  #2372  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Posts: 1,712
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
I ordered a RT-LAMP test from Switch Health when I got sick and the antigen tests given to me at the testing site confirmed Covid. I used it last Friday coming back from California. It was accepted without any problems when checking in at SNA and during the document check at SFO.
Originally Posted by gcashin View Post
That sounds like an oversight by the agent at the airport, so don't think you can count on that as the rules for traveling with a prior positive still need a nucleic acid/PCR test. I know the agents I had check tests in LHR, DXB, and other Intl stations were very diligent in checking the type of test. I guess you lucked out and got US agents who were more used to dealing with antigen tests as the norm for travel.
If you were positive on the proctored RT-LAMP, that counts as proper documentation as it's a molecular test...antigen doesn't work for proof of prior infection for Canada.
gcashin and hoipolloi like this.
xray is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 4:01 pm
  #2373  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by xray View Post
If you were positive on the proctored RT-LAMP, that counts as proper documentation as it's a molecular test...antigen doesn't work for proof of prior infection for Canada.
This. RT-LAMP is one of the accepted molecular tests for proof of positive or negative results
hoipolloi is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 4:03 pm
  #2374  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU View Post
I ordered a RT-LAMP test from Switch Health when I got sick and the antigen tests given to me at the testing site confirmed Covid. I used it last Friday coming back from California. It was accepted without any problems when checking in at SNA and during the document check at SFO.
I got my gold ticket too from an RT-LAMP test kit that I had on hand "just in case"
hoipolloi is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 4:16 pm
  #2375  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K, AC E50, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 2,266
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr View Post
RT-LAMP is molecular and valid for travel to CAnada - they are just not so common.
Originally Posted by xray View Post
If you were positive on the proctored RT-LAMP, that counts as proper documentation as it's a molecular test...antigen doesn't work for proof of prior infection for Canada.
Oh yes, I'd read the initial reply quickly and I'd interpreted the original note being that the positive test was from the antigen, but sounds like OP got it documented via the RT-LAMP test. I was aware that the LAMP tests were OK, but the antigen part led me astray.
gcashin is online now  
Old Feb 15, 22, 4:51 pm
  #2376  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SEA, YVR
Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 540
The requirement for the rapid antigen test to be administered in clinic and disallowing home tests is a real bummer though...antigen tests aren't priced much cheaper than PCR if testing at a clinic...
lily23 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 4:56 pm
  #2377  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec and Ontario, Canada
Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
The requirement for the rapid antigen test to be administered in clinic and disallowing home tests is a real bummer though...antigen tests aren't priced much cheaper than PCR if testing at a clinic...
Do the test really have to be administered at a clinic ? Or you just need a certificate signed by a clinic / heath professional / pharmacy ?
What about online supervised tests ?

By the way there are still some advantages with antigen tests
1 - you get the results more quickly
2 - it is generally cheaper
3 - it is less sensitive. More chance for the test to be negative if you have a very low viral load (in which case you generally are not contagious).
Yul_voyager is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 5:18 pm
  #2378  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SEA, YVR
Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager View Post
Do the test really have to be administered at a clinic ? Or you just need a certificate signed by a clinic / heath professional / pharmacy ?
What about online supervised tests ?

By the way there are still some advantages with antigen tests
1 - you get the results more quickly
2 - it is generally cheaper
3 - it is less sensitive. More chance for the test to be negative if you have a very low viral load (in which case you generally are not contagious).
Based on what was in the CBC / Global News articles, it seems even supervised at home tests are excluded. Relevant quotes below:
"These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home wont work" - Global
"
Travellers will still be required to take a pre-arrival test, but they can instead opt for an authorized clinic-administered rapid antigen test" - CBC

It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150. I've been using the BinaxNow home test (proctored via video) to get back to the US and those are much much cheaper (6 pack for $150) and also more convenient to do at home vs. scheduling an appointment at airport. If anyone has done the antigen test at YVR, its a gong show now that travel has opened up - an hour wait to register even if you have an appointment, and then another hour to actually test tested, and then another 2 hours to get results via email.

Anyways don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and complaining. Especially because European countries are moving towards dropping pre-departure testing entirely - hello UK/France!
lily23 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 5:42 pm
  #2379  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Posts: 1,712
During the news conference, Minister Duclos specifically said testing administered by telehealth service was included so the proctored antigen tests are acceptable.
lily23, TheCanuckian and YYZ1313 like this.

Last edited by xray; Feb 15, 22 at 5:51 pm
xray is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 5:45 pm
  #2380  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,583
Originally Posted by xray View Post
During the news conference, Minister Duclos specifically said telemedicine was included so the proctored antigen tests are acceptable.
Its in the official release too

Taking a rapid antigen test at home is not sufficient to meet the pre-entry requirement it must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased and must be administered by a laboratory, healthcare entity or telehealth service
lily23 likes this.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 5:55 pm
  #2381  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1,090
Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
Based on what was in the CBC / Global News articles, it seems even supervised at home tests are excluded. Relevant quotes below:
"These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home wont work" - Global
"
Travellers will still be required to take a pre-arrival test, but they can instead opt for an authorized clinic-administered rapid antigen test" - CBC

It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150. I've been using the BinaxNow home test (proctored via video) to get back to the US and those are much much cheaper (6 pack for $150) and also more convenient to do at home vs. scheduling an appointment at airport. If anyone has done the antigen test at YVR, its a gong show now that travel has opened up - an hour wait to register even if you have an appointment, and then another hour to actually test tested, and then another 2 hours to get results via email.

Anyways don't mind me, I'm just grumpy and complaining. Especially because European countries are moving towards dropping pre-departure testing entirely - hello UK/France!
Don't rely on incomplete news articles. Go to the source, which says telehealth tests are acceptable
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-response.html
ALW likes this.
hoipolloi is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 6:21 pm
  #2382  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,958
For me, definitely glad to see the restrictions for children traveling with vaccinated parents disappear. Was too difficult to bring our 3yo, but now shouldnt be a problem. Im not 100% clear if, since shes not vaxed (cant be), shell be required to do the arrival test and day 8 (though unlikely to visit that long) tests, but honestly, those are easy enoughshe does these every week for pre-school now, so she doesnt flinch when swabbed anymore. My biggest issue was the list of things she could/couldnt do currently, with seemingly no reason for conflicting rules (Uber is ok, public transit not, but grocery store is ok also).

Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
This switch is going to save me $$$$ we're driving to YYZ from Rochester, NY on 3/1 and returning 3/5 (long story, AA flight credit from early 2020). PCR tests are $150-200 USD in Rochester. Antigen tests, assuming they need to be proctored, cost $150 for 6 through eMed on the American website. Also will allow us to visit Niagara on the Lake/Wineries so much more often. LOVE CANADA.
Originally Posted by lily23 View Post
It is true that there are benefits like faster results/less sensitive, but for the most part (at least in Seattle/Vancouver anyways), I haven't found antigen tests to be significantly cheaper ie. a PCR is 175 and an antigen in clinic is ~150.
Alright, living in the US, so maybe Im more knowledgeable, but beyond me why anyone would pay for PCR tests from the US, unless you need a rapid for some reason or cant get an appointment at a place like CVS or Walgreens, or really just want/need to get one on premises at the airport. While some places charge, many do not - they can not in fact if they received government COVID funding - whether the patient has insurance or not. Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid
are no cost at pretty much all of their drive thru locations. Here in the Bay Area, I know about a dozen places I can get no cost PCRs, and while appointments were a problem from about early Dec. to late Jan (basically, during holidays and omnicron surge), they arent as much now. With advance planning, this is also easy (Walgreens opens up appointments at midnight local time 7 days (or maybe its 6?) prior, so you just login and snag one then. Right by me, we have a drive-thru that has appointments next day typically, and in a pinch, calling and saying you need one today will almost always generate an availability to get one.
ALW and hoipolloi like this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Feb 15, 22, 6:38 pm
  #2383  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Posts: 9,449
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
For me, definitely glad to see the restrictions for children traveling with vaccinated parents disappear. Was too difficult to bring our 3yo, but now shouldn’t be a problem. I’m not 100% clear if, since she’s not vaxed (can’t be), she’ll be required to do the arrival test and day 8 (though unlikely to visit that long) tests, but honestly, those are easy enough…she does these every week for pre-school now, so she doesn’t flinch when swabbed anymore. My biggest issue was the list of things she could/couldn’t do currently, with seemingly no reason for conflicting rules (Uber is ok, public transit not, but grocery store is ok also).





Alright, living in the US, so maybe I’m more knowledgeable, but beyond me why anyone would pay for PCR tests from the US, unless you need a rapid for some reason or can’t get an appointment at a place like CVS or Walgreens, or really just want/need to get one on premises at the airport. While some places charge, many do not - they can not in fact if they received government COVID funding - whether the patient has insurance or not. Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid
are no cost at pretty much all of their drive thru locations. Here in the Bay Area, I know about a dozen places I can get no cost PCRs, and while appointments were a problem from about early Dec. to late Jan (basically, during holidays and omnicron surge), they aren’t as much now. With advance planning, this is also easy (Walgreens opens up appointments at midnight local time 7 days (or maybe it’s 6?) prior, so you just login and snag one then. Right by me, we have a drive-thru that has appointments next day typically, and in a pinch, calling and saying you need one today will almost always generate an availability to get one.

With the new regulations of doing a molecular covid test 72 hr before departure or rapid antigen test 1 day before departure- what advantage is there if I go to USA and do a rapid antigen test - esp if I have access to free tests at Walgreens or other US pharmacies as you state above.

In fact, I submit that in the scenario of doing a nonpcr rapid molecular test in such pharmacies, the turn around time is not that much longer than the time for the rapid antigen test in such pharmacies- but I have more time to do the rapid molecular covid test in relationship to departure compared to the rapid molecular test.

At least for travelers going to USA-- the new rules for allowing a rapid test are only advantageous in regions of USA where there are no pharmacies offering a free non-pcr rapid molecular test. How often do we face this situation.

I guess in most other non US countries- it is either a rapid antigen test or a pcr test. So I guess that the new Canadian travel covid regulations are particularly advantageous for travelers returning from these countries.
FlyerGoldII is offline  
Old Feb 16, 22, 12:29 am
  #2384  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ZRH
Programs: AC SE 100K
Posts: 863
Just one more piece of info regarding "home tests". I won't get into specifics but I traveled at Christmas to Canada and used a home test kit PCR. This was one where I took the sample myself (could have been anyone), I filled out all the information online through the portal, I took the sample to the drop box. Even the sample time is self-reported - as it is filled in online. It was tested overnight and I received my certificate the next afternoon 100%. My in-laws (for a trip to AU) went to a full-fledged clinic to have a sample taken and it ultimately turned out that they must have been using the same lab as the report came back in the 100% identical format.

So - while Canada does not allow these types of test (now) - I can say I traveled on it at Christmas with 100% no issues as the certificate was identical to the one from a lab anyway. We did actually take the test ourselves and made a good attempt to get a proper sample - so there was no "cheating" but we did wonder how this could be ok. . . . . but it was in the end.

Really glad that the Telehealth certificates are ok. Hopefully the Switch antigen kits are valid for return to Canada.
zrh2yvr is offline  
Old Feb 16, 22, 4:25 am
  #2385  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Mileage plus
Posts: 80
Hello,

arrived in YUL yesterday. Was selected for testing. So far, I havent received my results.

nobody told me to isolate and i wasnt given any leaflet: am I really supposed to self isolate, still?

thank you!
Unmaxdemax is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread