Search

Pearson not fulfilling obligations to French-speaking passengers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM

L'aéroport Pearson de Toronto a manqué à ses obligations envers des passagers francophones, vient de statuer le Commissaire aux langues officielles, qui a reconnu comme fondées huit plaintes qu'il avait reçues concernant une absence de service en français.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...es-obligations
Toronto Pearson Airport is not fulfilling its obligations to French-speaking passengers, the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages has found.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/toronto-...oner-1.4676371
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by shadowspar

L'aéroport Pearson de Toronto a manqué à ses obligations envers des passagers francophones, vient de statuer le Commissaire aux langues officielles, qui a reconnu comme fondées huit plaintes qu'il avait reçues concernant une absence de service en français.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...es-obligations

Toronto Pearson Airport is not fulfilling its obligations to French-speaking passengers, the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages has found.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/toronto-...oner-1.4676371
Eight complaints that an English city functions in English. I’m not sure what people expect, presumably the arrival city and services in between are not billingual either. Had the passsenger’s flight been canceled they would have had to eat and stay in Toronto where they wouldn’t have gotten service in French either. I support bilingualism, but these type of expectations and complaints irritate me.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
In an English speaking Province and an English speaking community there should be no obligations for all the staff to be bilingual. Yes I have seen at the Federal Staff at CABS that they have signs that say French speakers available at this counter etc. How on Earth and why on Earth should everyone working at YYZ be able to speak French? The airline staff has no obligation to be able to speak French either.
I have always heard that all flight announcements are made both in French and English.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by dav662
In an English speaking Province and an English speaking community there should be no obligations for all the staff to be bilingual. Yes I have seen at the Federal Staff at CABS that they have signs that say French speakers available at this counter etc. How on Earth and why on Earth should everyone working at YYZ be able to speak French? The airline staff has no obligation to be able to speak French either.
I have always heard that all flight announcements are made both in French and English.
At least as far as Air Canada is concerned, AC is required to provide service in both English and French as laid out in the Official Languages Act and the Air Canada Public Participation Act....
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by AC681
At least as far as Air Canada is concerned, AC is required to provide service in both English and French as laid out in the Official Languages Act and the Air Canada Public Participation Act....
Yes I do know that and so do the airports official staff. But I was thinking of all airport staff for sure do not know or have to know French.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Go to Quebec and speak English, and see what--if any--service they'll give you...I'll think long and hard before setting foot in that discriminatory place again, and I'm a multi-generation Canadian.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Eight complaints that an English city functions in English.
The airport is not the city. As long as a Canadian airport is designated as an international port of entry, there have to be services available in both languages. That doesn't mean that the counter person taking your order at the food court needs to know the opposite language, but customs and immigration and airline personnel had better know both or, at least, be able to retrieve someone who does.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are clear signs at all ports of entry (air as well as land) of bilingual CBSA agent manning the specific station.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are plenty of people working at Pearson who have considerable problems speaking understandable English, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
tentseller likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:02 pm

A question from a foreigner... If the predominately English speaking provinces like Ontario are legally obliged to provide services equally in French..why are the predominately French speaking provinces like Quebec apparently allowed to mandate the use of French ONLY for so many people? (Bill 101 etc?) I see zero equity in that.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trooper
A question from a foreigner... If the predominately English speaking provinces like Ontario are legally obliged to provide services equally in French..why are the predominately French speaking provinces like Quebec apparently allowed to mandate the use of French ONLY for so many people? (Bill 101 etc?) I see zero equity in that.
How much time have you got?....
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:41 pm

Thanks! I can't say Im surprised......
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by trooper
I read somewhere that there are more native speakers of Ukrainian in some parts of Canada than French.....AND that the % of French speakers has been, and is, declining.
Yes, there are parts of the Prairie provinces where Ukrainian is the most spoken language.

The low French Canadian birth rate is causing them to be paranoid about being eliminated. SO they use whatever means they have to preserve their language, French only. This has created two generations of illiterate English speakers who cannot find work in the rest of Canada or good careers in QC.
Even with the present immigration incentive, they are not finding too many who are willing to settle in QC with the poor long term prospect. They only settlers are refugees who might not have a choice to end up in QC but usually move once they are able to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.