Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Looking for Banff info

Looking for Banff info

Old Sep 11, 19, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp
Looking for Banff info

My SO loves the outdoors. Looking to spend a few days in Banff next summer. Then a couple in YVR. Have to get the time off as we have to put our request in by Oct. 1, for next year.

any suggestions on Banff? Best way to get from there to YVR?
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Go to Jasper if you only have a few days. Better views and less people than Banff.

I'd fly in to YYC (for Banff) or YEG (for Jasper) and then drive. Much quicker than driving from YVR which is a full day of driving (800+ kms)
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or take the train to/from Vancouver
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
The train from Vancouver to Jasper offers spectacular scenery. You'd have to book a tour bus to get south to Banff.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you want to go to Banff/Jasper and Vancouver, I'd suggest flying to Edmonton, driving to Jasper, then driving the Icefields Parkway (one of the most scenic drives in the world), then driving to Vancouver. The drive from Jasper to Vancouver via Lake Louise is about 12 hours (a 2 day affair for sure), but traveling Jasper to Vancouver by air burns up a whole day anyway and isn't very interesting. The train is also an option but: it's almost always delayed, it's extremely expensive, and in a car you can stop where ever you want and actually walk around, take a photo that isn't through a window, etc. I love long haul train travel, but I wouldn't bother with it in Canada.

Hiking is the main thing to do throughout the region although Banff has quite a few contraptions for seeing the mountains without actually walking anywhere and Jasper is becoming like that too. If you want to see the best scenery and are fit and willing I'd suggest doing some of the longer, harder day hikes off the Icefields Parkway like Wilcox Pass. The Parks Canada websites have abundant details on all of the hiking trails.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp
Appreciate the information. But Iím not in the shape for a rough hike. I like the drive idea. We are going pretty much for the amazing views and some mild hiking at best.
Thanks everyone
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:41 am

The drive between the Rockies and Vancouver is indeed spectacular. However, there are spectacular views everywhere around the Rockies and driving 10+ hours straight can be very tiresome. As for flying into YEG, that is debatable if it is a better option as opposed to YYC considering it is only an extra 40 km between YYC and Jasper (city) vs YEG and Jasper.

If it was me I'd fly into YEG or YYC (depending on flights available) and spend a couple of nights in each Jasper and Banff but staying the last night at Banff area and then fly out of YYC to YVR. Since Banff is relatively close to YYC, flying will be faster and less tiresome than driving in this case.

Besides Banff and Jasper parks there are also the Yoho, Kootenay and Glacier parks which are worth the visit if there is time. There are plenty of lakes to visit, trails to hike and mountains to hike and climb in all of them. Not to mention the great vistas to behold.

Another possibility is taking a bus tour to the Rockies from either Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton if you are so inclined. That might be a great option if you don't mind group travelling and all what that entails

Finally, Vancouver also has many attractions as well and if your SO like outdoors you might consider visiting Vancouver Island as well.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
stay near Banff

Banff can be very crowded in the summer. I recommend visiting the town site and staying elsewhere. My PF is the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. Another option (Marriott Gold) is Canmore.
SJWarrior likes this.

Search this Thread