Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

eTA - problem with registering to provide documents

Old Jul 30, 19, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly

I applied for an eTA yesterday, and received an email this morning requiring unspecified documents, and a link to register. I've created a GCKey ok, but wasn't forwarded to the IRCC registration page, just to the generic IRCC site (via a language selection page).

I've reported this technical difficulty via the IRCC webform, no reply as yet - I know, it's overnight Canada time

Does anyone have any insight on how I can register with IRCC, link my eTA application and find out what documents are required?

'Me too' stories about the complex process also welcome...

Many thanks!
Old Jul 30, 19, 12:53 pm

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
I haven't had any technical problems with registration, but they did require more documents from me. A few days after they emailed me about needing more documents, they emailed me again telling me I was approved. Without the need to send them anything! Hopefully, it'll be the same with you if your visa history isn't too complicated.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the tech issue, but I'm hoping that they'll approve your eTA without further hassle.
Tocsin likes this.
Old Jul 30, 19, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Thanks, Nayef - I'm hoping that they approve me anyway, as I can't think of any documents that would be needed - I'm a boring old grandpa It's the fact that I can't even find out what is being requested by them without completing the registration that is worrying!
Old Jul 30, 19, 2:31 pm

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS
No problem at all. If it helps at all, this is what I was told when I applied for the eTA in 2016:

Document: Purpose of Travel - Other

You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visitOpens a new window.

Examples of what you can provide as proof:

A scanned copy of:
  • Your flight ticket departing Canada,
  • Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
  • Proof of a medical appointment.

Purpose of Travel - Other: Proof of the primary purpose of your travel to Canada This must be received at this office by: 2016/11/03

Document: Proof of Means of Financial Support

Temporary Residents

If you are visiting Canada, you must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who will be with you while you are in Canada. Provide as many of these documents as you can:
  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • pay stubs
  • an employment letter
  • tax reports, declarations or statements
  • proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • a letter from the person or institution providing you with money

Document: Itinerary, Travel

You must provide a copy of your flight ticket or booking, if available, and/or the itinerary of your visit (proposed route of your journey.)
So it was practically like they were asking for information I'd have to provide for a real visa application. I think they gave me two weeks or so to scan and upload these documents onto their site. Three days go by and they granted it to me without needing to do anything. I hope they see the error of their ways with regards to your delayed application.
Tocsin likes this.