Search

YVR - Fast track immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Seriously

OK, they are slow and inefficient, but there are so few pax that it usually takes about five minutes @:-)

Ten at most .... maybe I travel at different times ......
Thankfully volumes are low. I hate to see how long one will have to wait if lines are actually long. That was at YYJ (well over a minute per pax) so nearly 10 mins with 5-6 in front of us at YYJ on a Thursday mid-afternoon..

Horribly-long lines domestic=> transborder at YVR but we had an expired Nexus card that worked. Would have been much longer than 15-20 minutes. Not that the lines are all that long (40-50 maybe?) but they (CATSA) just have such a slow and inefficient routine.

I wish it wasn't so but security in much of the rest of the world is much faster.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Thankfully volumes are low. I hate to see how long one will have to wait if lines are actually long. That was at YYJ (well over a minute per pax) so nearly 10 mins with 5-6 in front of us at YYJ on a Thursday mid-afternoon..

Horribly-long lines domestic=> transborder at YVR but we had an expired Nexus card that worked. Would have been much longer than 15-20 minutes. Not that the lines are all that long (40-50 maybe?) but they (CATSA) just have such a slow and inefficient routine.

I wish it wasn't so but security in much of the rest of the world is much faster.
True, CATSA is the slowest in the developed world by a country mile (far worse than TSA assuming you have Pre) due to their byzantine procedures (why do they check your boarding pass 4 times?), but this thread is about immigration, not security.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Unsure if you have Global Entry (highly recommended) but if you haven't I would encourage you to sign up for Nexus instead which gives you the fast track immigration of Global Entry in Canada and the US, plus TSA pre. All of that is for $50 CAD/USD every 5 years. From what I hear, YVR immigration can be painfully slow, even for Canadians without Nexus. The last time I flew there (Jan, 2018) I was hyperventilating since it took 5 minutes to clear immigration at YVR with Nexus (usually takes 30 seconds at YYZ).

Would love to hear Vancouverites experience with immigration at YVR.

-James
Lately I've been travelling with a significant other who does not have NEXUS (it is in process, I assure you) and honestly with the introduction of the 'PIKs' at YVR (computer kiosks for entering your declaration, etc.), wait times for Canadian/US residents without NEXUS are rarely more than 5 minutes. Especially since YVR does not have a dedicated CBSA officer for collecting NEXUS slips (you must instead wait to be called at a junction with the 'everyone else' line, with only some agents giving priority to NEXUS).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by eigenvector

Lately I've been travelling with a significant other who does not have NEXUS (it is in process, I assure you) and honestly with the introduction of the 'PIKs' at YVR (computer kiosks for entering your declaration, etc.), wait times for Canadian/US residents without NEXUS are rarely more than 5 minutes. Especially since YVR does not have a dedicated CBSA officer for collecting NEXUS slips (you must instead wait to be called at a junction with the 'everyone else' line, with only some agents giving priority to NEXUS).
This is good to hear. Thank you.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
True, CATSA is the slowest in the developed world by a country mile (far worse than TSA assuming you have Pre) due to their byzantine procedures (why do they check your boarding pass 4 times?), but this thread is about immigration, not security.

Out of curiosity have they fixed the Nexus machine issues at YVR? The last time I was there (Jan 2018) at least half of the machines were not working.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity have they fixed the Nexus machine issues at YVR? The last time I was there (Jan 2018) at least half of the machines were not working.
There always seem to be 2 or 3 not working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.