Wiki Posts
Search

PVG-YVR-MSP and USCBP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

PVG-YVR-MSP and USCBP

Hello,

Contemplating booking PVG-YVR on AC then continuing on YVR-MSP on DL with a 2 hour connection. My origin will be DPS using all Star Alliance partners.

Using YVRs helpful connection guide, it looks like I have to go through USCBP. I might have a checked bagged from PVG-YVR and I'm guessing that won't be checked through to the DL flight.

If my bag isn't checked through....is 2 hours enough time? If my bag is checked through or I don't end up checking...is 2 hours enough? I have GE but my companion does not.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
no that's not enough time.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:41 am

You mention about checking bags (or not) but nothing about whether you need to check in for your DL flight. Will your DL flight be on the same ticket as AC flight? MCT int'l-US if on one ticket is 90 minutes. Your bags should be checked through without need to reclaim if on one ticket (I don't know if the other *A partner at origin will check through on separate tix). YVR was one of the first airports in Canada to have the video screen monitors for the US agent to bring up your bag to avoid physically reclaiming bags.

I've not done a transborder connection in YVR in quite some time, but last time I went through there was no GE for connecting pax (only YVR originating), so your companion will not be at a disadvantage compared to you.

If you can book it all as one ticket, I say go for it. It'll be up to airlines to get you to your destination if there are issues.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
There is GE for connecting pax. The one annoying thing is the need wait in the little holding until your bag is transferred. If you are on the same ticket, it should not be a problem checking through.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Try to link the tickets, or not check any bags.

If you haven't checked bags, or your bags are checked through to MSP: you and your companion will be able to use the ITCPF facility (follow the overhead US flags on the signs) which will deposit you at a quick personal screening CATSA Plus line (used only by Intl ->US connecting passengers), followed by a room full of PIK kiosks (and the screen upon which you identify your bag to satisfy US customs) and then an interview at one of two dedicated US CBP booths. You'll be through to the transborder area in under 30 minutes, without visiting the main Canada immigration hall. Your bags will soon be at their pier underneath you, being loaded into the DL container.

If bags are checked only as far as YVR, I still believe you'll have enough time, although it might be tight. The PVG flight arrives during the mid-day Asia rush, so there may well be a delay in immigration processing. Suggest you go ahead using GE and claim all bags (yours and companion's), clear customs and head upstairs to check them in at the DL counter. 2 hours will be sufficient. If delayed, your travel companion can ease his or her connection by simply passing the baggage carousel and walking straight up to transborder security, which at that time of day, should be at a low-volume stage.
Your companion will be able to find you face-down at the Absolute Spa in the midst of a 20-min massage.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jan 17, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:09 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mellon
no that's not enough time.
Have you transferred in YVR? OP has more than enough time to transfer.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a YVR topic rather than an Air Canada or Aeroplan specific topic the thread has been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Try to link the tickets, or not check any bags.
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I don't think I'll be able to link tickets as DPS-PVG-VYR will be a United award ticket while YVR-MSP on DL will be a cash fare ticket.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 5mm
Have you transferred in YVR? OP has more than enough time to transfer.
? AC has the worst on time performance in North America. AC have SLOW baggage service, and Customs for his friend without GE will not be fast.
So I don't think 2 hours is enough time. NEXT AC has horrible IRROPS so when, NOT IF his plane is delayed he will be dealing with AC staff that don't care.
AC 28 from an AC standpoint isn't that bad for delays.

Last edited by mellon; Jan 17, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
Thank you everyone for the replies.

I don't think I'll be able to link tickets as DPS-PVG-VYR will be a United award ticket while YVR-MSP on DL will be a cash fare ticket.
This is a key piece of information missing from your original post. On separate tickets I wouldn't make a 2 hour connection, even without checked bags. Too much risk and you wouldn't be protected in the event of a misconnect. I'd look to see if there is any way you can book a different routing using your UA reward ticket to get to MSP.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by mellon
? AC has the worst on time performance in North America. AC have SLOW baggage service, and Customs for his friend without GE will not be fast.
So I don't think 2 hours is enough time. NEXT AC has horrible IRROPS so when, NOT IF his plane is delayed he will be dealing with AC staff that don't care.
AC 28 from an AC standpoint isn't that bad for delays.
While we can't dismiss out of hand the possibility that any flight might encounter a delay, I think, with respect, your beliefs are unfounded. AC28 serves YYZ; we're talking about AC26 service to YVR. Cursory flight history searches on the internet show the flight consistently lands on schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.