Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Connecting through YYZ to US - How much time to allow for customs clearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I have a flight on 31Jan2019 that is connecting to US. It arrives YYZ at 5:53 AM and the connecting flight to US leaves at 7:45 AM. Carrier/operator on both flights is WestJet. Will my luggage be checked on through or do I have to claim it, clear customs, and then check it back in again? And is a 1:50 layover long enough on a Friday morning flight to make it through customs?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by digitalfrog
I have a flight on 31Jan2019 that is connecting to US. It arrives YYZ at 5:53 AM and the connecting flight to US leaves at 7:45 AM. Carrier/operator on both flights is WestJet. Will my luggage be checked on through or do I have to claim it, clear customs, and then check it back in again? And is a 1:50 layover long enough on a Friday morning flight to make it through customs?
You shouldn't need to collect your bag at YYZ. I think 1:50 is plenty of time though my experience is T1 and not T3.

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/connections
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
WS will send your US bound bags directly to CBP for clearing. You would need to scan your onward to US BP and if the bags have arrived and photographed for US CBP you will be sent through to the CBP Checkpoint. If not you will be asked to wait in a waiting room and watch a monitor for confirmation of your bags has been processed and then you head to US CBP checkpoint.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I took a similar flight. WS YVR-YYZ which arrived very early, maybe similar to the original poster's 5:53 am. There was plenty of time to eat breakfast. I even when to T1 to take a look at the departure hall then went back to T3 for a connecting flight to LGA. Everything was very fast, even the slow non-NEXUS line. I think I waited about 3 minutes for customs clearance though I did not have checked baggage, hence the freedom to explore another terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.